Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2006 12:12:57 AM EDT
Well, I've got that BRD feeling again. Must... Buy... New.... AR-15....

Catch is I'm not exactly sure what I want this time, so I'm going to enlist ya'll for help.

My last one was a nowhere-near-anything-mil-spec target rifle. Good for putting holes in paper, but I think my next one should be as close to mil spec as possible.

But just what kind?

I like full size 20" rifles, but I already have one of those [see target rifle above]. If I did go with another full size rifle, I would want it to be an A2. Mil spec all around, yada yada.

If I went with 16", I would want a mid length. It's not mil-spec, but I never saw the sense in a shorter handguard and gas system when your rifles overall length allows for it to be longer. Also the mid-length can mount a bayonet, which I consider important.

14.5" with a perm flash supressor isn't attractive to me.

Rules:

Must have a 1-7 twist, chrome lined barrel.

Bolt must be chrome lined, as mil spec as possible. I will make room for better-than mil-spec improvments, however.

Mil-spec single stage trigger, period.

Mil-spec buffer, tube and spring, unless you know of something better.

Some kind of mil-spec stock, final model will be decided one I figure out if I want a rifle or a carbine.

I've really found the Bravo Company BCM packages to be along the lines of what I want.

www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM.html

If they had a 20" A2 upper like that, it would win, hands down, I would build lower around that.

The flat top mid-length still appeals to me.

Is anyone else offering upppers, or whole rifles along the lines of the Bravo Company line?

What are your suggestions?

[I plan to keep posting in this thread as I start making up my mind, so bear with me].
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
If you like those Bravo set ups, why not get a 16" middy upper, install a nice Colt M16 bolt and carrier, and mount it on a STAG, or Bushmaster lower?

Then pick a good rail - like the new Daniel Defense AR-lite( 9") , and an LMT SOPMOD stock, Troy BUIS set, surefire M962 weapon-light, and a new Trijicon TA31 RCO-M4 scope.

Out the door with a kick-ass rig.  

Then start planning your next one........
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:59:30 AM EDT
[#2]
i just bought one of the Bravo Co. new midlength barrels and it is a very nice barrel. it has all the features of a Colt barrel but in a mid length. i am going to use it on my Colt 6520 when i get it back.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Four Months????

What took you so long.

Resistance is FUTILE.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Ya what really took so long?  As soon as I bought my first one and set it down for a second, I was on arfcom looking for a setup I liked for my second one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
good so it's not just me. I got my first for Xmas got my second about 3 weeks ago and am starting to plan out my next rifle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you like those Bravo set ups, why not get a 16" middy upper, install a nice Colt M16 bolt and carrier, and mount it on a STAG, or Bushmaster lower?

Then pick a good rail - like the new Daniel Defense AR-lite( 9") , and an LMT SOPMOD stock, Troy BUIS set, surefire M962 weapon-light, and a new Trijicon TA31 RCO-M4 scope.

Out the door with a kick-ass rig.  

Then start planning your next one........

Sounds good, I'm thinking something along the lines of a mid-length flattop being this build, then a n A2 20" being the one after that, once Bravo Company starts making those upper sets.

But why should I go with a Colt bolt carrier over, say, a CMT one listed at Bravo Company? Getting the bolt and upper from the same place would save shipping. Is the Colt better?

Also, doesn't the extra weight of an M16 carrier make short-cycling more likely?

As for rails... I really think I'll just stick with regular handguards for now. I've always used the KISS weapons concept, if I ever want to start strapping extra stuff on my rifle, I can always add the rails at that time.

For the lower... It would probably be either Colt or Bushmaster like you said... My understanding is that the Bushmaster buffer isn't the same as the Colt one, is that correct?

Not really sure which stock I'd go with... Lots of choices.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Resistance is FUTILE.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
So where can I buy...

Nevermind, found it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
So... What stocks do ya'll recomend for a mid-length carbine?

I may just go with the standard tele-stock. But I have nothing against a more advanced one.

Just what telestocks are actually in use by the US Military?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not get a pistol caliber or something exotic (6.8 SPC, .458 socom, or the like)?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why not get a pistol caliber or something exotic (6.8 SPC, .458 socom, or the like)?

Just not interested in those just yet.

If either 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC actually make it anywhere, I may consider getting one, but that's at least 4-5 rifles down the road .
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
So here's a list of my big questions at this time:

Which bolt should I get? CMT [Stag], Bushmaster, Colt... Who? And why?

Which telestocks [other than the standard 6-pos one] are actually in use by the US Military? LMT SOPMOD? Magpul M93? VLTOR? Others?

Whose lower is closest to mil-spec? Which do you think has the highest quality?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Bumpady bump.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a GTS Lower from Denny. The LMT Crane SOPMOD stock is use by parts of the Mililtary but I would bet you will probably find some Vltors and Magpuls with some HSLD guys.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy mags and ammo!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#16]
just four months you've got it bad too
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Buy mags and ammo!

no crap..forget another AR... buy MASSIVE AMMOUNTS OF AMMO>>>>>have
Forget that stupid BRD shiiite..

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Three and a half years ago I had one Civil War replica rifled musket.   With 4 kids, mortgages and a stay at home mom for most of that time, it was just an interest on hold.  Today I have35 rifles and 4 shotguns.  Mostly I collect mulsurps, but I do have three EBR's in the mix.  

When the kids grow up, mom goes back to work and the mortgage = $0, life gets real good that way.

BTW, my wife won't touch any of my firearms.  She does not like them, but she doesn't mind me owning them.  She says I have earned to right to spend some money on myself and is happy they keep me active.  I always made sure there was money for her interests and when she wrote and self published a book on weaving several years ago I supported her 100%.  Raising 4 kids (all boys) is very hard work and I always made sure she had time for herself because when momma is happy, everybody else is happy too.  

It's still a lot less money spent than the extra taxes I now pay after losing all those deductions.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top