Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 6:18:30 PM EDT
Hi All

I have done the SKS and AK scene for a while but this is all new to me

I bought a DPMS full lower with collapsible stock at the local gun shop

Can someone please post some links to where I can get a complete upper?  Preferrably a 16" barrel.  I like the dissipator model.

Also what kind of mags should I get aluminum or steel?

Thank you
Kid Couteau
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I bought a DPMS full lower with collapsible stock at the local gun shop
Can someone please post some links to where I can get a complete upper?  
Preferrably a 16" barrel.  I like the dissipator model.
Also what kind of mags should I get aluminum or steel?

the best advice i can give you is to SLOW DOWN!!!

assmbled uppers come in zillions of flavors and at markedly different price points.  if you want an el cheapo upper with crappy barrel steel, you can get one of those.  if you want a free floated upper with a match quality stainless barrel, you can get one of those too.  and in the middle are tons of options ranging from carbine, midlength, and rifle gas systems; to standard M4 plastic handguards through fully floating integral forearms.  

so my suggestion is read this forum for a month before buying ANYTHING.  otherwise you are going to end up with something that doesn't fit your application -- and you'll be out hundreds of dollars as well.  before setting your credit card down on some ad in the EE (equipment exchange forum), post what you are trying to achieve and ask for suggestions.  be specific, e.g. "i'm looking for a 200-300 yd rifle suitable for varmint hunting" or "i'm looking for a lightweight CQB rifle for HD/SHTF purposes".  this type of information is the ONLY way that folks here can provide the right guidance.  

as for AR15 upper vendors, they basically come in three flavors:
1) crap -- avoid these as you are just pissing away money.
2) bushmaster, colt, armalite, RRA, etc -- high quality "catalog" uppers.
3) MSTN, ADCO, GTS, CMMG, BravoCO, G&R, etc -- very high quality "built for you" uppers.

the price is going up as you go from 1 to 3.  
the quality and reliability is going up as you go from 1 to 3.

below are two examples of uppers; one is a semi-catalog busmaster upper (the black M4-ish thing) and the other is a custom job (the tan RECCE-ish thing).

read this thread as well:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=431728

regards,
ar-jedi

ps: don't buy steel mags, only USGI aluminum.  
read the mag FAQ in the mag forum BEFORE BUYING ANY MAGS.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
read through the threads starting with the tacked ones.

there are plenty of different options to go with and make sure you get what you want to begin with to keep the cost or dissappointment to a minimal. after that there are plenty of different dealers in the equipment exchange and industry forum that will help you out and offer quality parts.

ps. i have steel england mags that function perfectly but are mainly used for range mags and during the awb they were the cheapest and easiest to come by. but of course usgi's are now a dime a dozen with cost being the least of the worries
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top