Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 7:20:20 PM EDT
Inspecting the upper after it arrived, I noticed that the bolt/carrier was "kinda sticky" in the upper carrier. I mean that it was not locking and unlocking with ease. From my own limited experience, that is usually not a good sign.

Taking the bolt out, I noticed that the bolt was an MP bolt. From what I have read in the forums, LWRC does not use MP bolts as they are not essential in a gas piston system.

The second thing I noticed was that the gas rings were still on the bolt. From my own experience with gas-piston systems, gas rings are not needed whatsoever. I took the gas rings off and reassembled the bolt/carrier. It is like butter now. Very smooth.

Question:

Does anyone know if LWRC ships their uppers with MP bolts and gas rings on them?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes to both

The MP is good to have on a bolt no matter DI/piston.

They use CMT bolt's which are MP. You don't "need" the gas rings it just helps position the bolt. They used a regular AR bolt to keep commonality/cost down.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
ah. okay. cool. thanks! yeah, i am going to run it without the gas rings and see how it performs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine came with gas rings, but it doesn't stick at all.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I know LWRC does keep the gas rings on to better position the bolt.
POF doesn't and I really don't see them as a plus since the bolt area around the gas rings is fairly wide enough as is.

I'd be open for someone to create a teflon impregnated polymer/polyurethane band that could take there place that would be an extra lubricater at the same time beside be a little more in the way of guiding the bolt. Maybe a solid snap in TIN or chrome band to replace them that would be a solid lubricant.

Either way I grease my bolt and carrier there with Tetra grease so the bolt slides smoother.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate it. Regards.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Bolts with rings keep BCGs in uppers that are broken open.  An LWRC or POF with no rings will just fall out the upper from gravity if you tilt it wrong which I find annoying.  I leave the rings on my LWRC since that is how it came.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top