Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2005 12:45:21 PM EDT
I know I give AR guys greif on their rifles versus my beloved AKs, but I think I am finally about to buy an AR.  One hitch though, cannot bring myself to buy the rodent calibre.  

>>>>>I am looking at an M4 setup in 7.62x39<<<<<<<

M4 '16inch in 7.62x39

Accuracy Vs. AK????  I get hits easily on 18' targets at 200 meters with my Sar1 much tighter if scoped.

Reliability vs. AK?
Mag issues?  Feed issues?
With my SAR1 accuraccy deteriorates sharply passed 200 will the AR be the same or can it be a 300meter platform?
Will it run dirty?  

What >>cheap<<reciever to use?  Mega, Stag or other?  Does it have to be dedicated or can I run other calibres with adaptors?

It will likely be model 1 sales model I buy.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Never owned one, but have researched it and ithe general consensus was theat an AR15 in 7.62x39mm was much more accurate than an AK variant.

The weak point appeared to be the bolts, which were reported to have a tendency to break.
I still would like to get one, though.

DPMS is selling the franken mags again.

There are many threads on this in the alternate caliber AR forums.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Never owned one, but have researched it and ithe general consensus was theat an AR15 in 7.62x39mm was much more accurate than an AK variant.

The weak point appeared to be the bolts, which were reported to have a tendency to break.
I still would like to get one, though.

DPMS is selling the franken mags again.

There are many threads on this in the alternate caliber AR forums.

Different mags are required, will not accept AK mags?  Can anyone clarify on the bolts?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've considered getting an AK before, but only in 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Do yourself a favor and just get the 5.56hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've considered getting an AK before, but only in 5.56.

Your in Cali. are you allowed?  Cheap 5.56 AKs are likely a thing of the past unless someone in U.S. atarts manufacturing them.  For what Arsenal sells 5.56 AKs for you can buy ARs.  5.56 RPK was interesting.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and just get the 5.56

Should I ever have to use it I would like to not have to shoot the target 6 times.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two 16" 7.62x39mm ARs (and used to have a 20" as well).  Both are Colt factory 7.62x39mm uppers, "massaged" by KKF, and built on Mega "Multi-Caliber"-marked lowers:

I've never broken a bolt personally, but I don't shoot (abuse?) these nearly as much as I do my AKs.  (I also don't shoot surplus or Wolf through them, FWIW.)

They work fine with both the old and the new Frankenmags (the 10-rd. MWG synthetic mags are also great, but only if capacity isn't important to you... ).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have two 16" 7.62x39mm ARs (and used to have a 20" as well).  Both are Colt factory 7.62x39mm uppers, "massaged" by KKF, and built on Mega "Multi-Caliber"-marked lowers:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20ARs/DSC02164.jpg

I've never broken a bolt personally, but I don't shoot (abuse?) these nearly as much as I do my AKs.  (I also don't shoot surplus or Wolf through them, FWIW.)

They work fine with both the old and the new Frankenmags (the 10-rd. MWG synthetic mags are also great, but only if capacity isn't important to you... ).

Have you shot Wolf through them?  What were the results?  More than 100rds in a sitting?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and just get the 5.56hug.gif

Should I ever have to use it I would like to not have to shoot the target 6 times.

The issue there isn't the rifle, or the 5.56 in general, but more of what round you use in the self defense role. Heavier, non AP rounds, have proven very effective even at greater ranges..
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I get hits easily on 18' targets at 200 meters with my Sar1 much tighter if scoped.

That's pretty good for a SAR1 to hit an 18-foot target at 200 yards, as most won't do it.

On a serious note, if you really want a 7.62X39 AR-15, you owe it to yourself to get one of the AR-47 lowers, as they use standard AK-47 mags.

You could also go with an AR-10, which is chambered in 7.62X51 (.308). Then you'd have the same diameter bullet you are wanting, but a heck of a lot more power.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20ARs/DSC02164.jpg

Have you shot Wolf through them?  What were the results?  More than 100rds in a sitting?

No Wolf (I shoot Georgia Arms ammo through these), but 100+ rds in a sitting (semi only) many times, no problems.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top