Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:20:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 8:05:39 PM EDT by DHB]
Given the information that this round has poor terminal ballistics in combat, what's the chances that this ammo will actually be able to penetrate light metal like that of a car door or light body armor and still have enough velocity to do some real damage to tissue underneath clothing? I guess the jist of what I am getting at is in a real world SHTF scenario, what is this ammo truly good for and why should I consider adding it to my inventory as opposed to getting something like Federal's bonded ammo?

As always thanks for reading!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:48:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DHB:
Given the information that this round has poor terminal ballistics in combat,

Poor? No. Are their better choices for most types of engagements? Yes.

what's the chances that this ammo will actually be able to penetrate light metal like that of a car door

Any fast moving 5.56 projectile will shed through a car door like butter.

or light body armor and still have enough velocity to do some real damage to tissue underneath clothing?

The effects of tissue damage, and fragmentation, will likely be HIGHLY erratic after penetrating hard cover of any kind.

I guess the jist of what I am getting at is in a real world SHTF scenario, what is this ammo truly good for and why should I consider adding it to my inventory as opposed to getting something like Federal's bonded ammo?

As always thanks for reading!

M855/SS109 is general better for light armor penetration at longer distances. The scenario you describe is so unpredicatable and possibly unlikely.... you would probably be better served spending time training and hitting your POA, than worrying about which ammo type for each scenario.

Pick a good performer from Troy's list that works well in your weapons, and stick with it. Practice, practice, practice. There aint gonna be any magic bullets.... especially after going though a car door.
Top Top