Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2013 2:32:04 PM EDT
The barrel was pulled from an upper and it has the two cuts from where the pinned FSB used to be. I can't simply use a low profile gas block and set screw it in right? So what are my options?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure you can.
The Spikes barrel I bought off EE had the cuts filled with a metal filler, then just has a Vltor low pro block with set screws. Only the rear screw actually sits over the rear cut. The front is untouched by the block. Or just use a clamp block.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I didnt mean to insinuate you NEED to fill the cuts, just if you wanted it to look flush, as a lowpro block wont cover the front cut.
Mine is dimpled on top of the rear cut and dimpled for the front set screw. That is definitely recomended, as its quick and easy and will keep it from moving at all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks like the rear hole will fall right into the rearmost cut, while the front cut will be exposed. So I'm good to go right? I'm okay with the exposed front cut as it'll be covered up by my rail anyways, but out of curiosity, what metal filler would work well filling it? I have no experience whatsoever working with metal filler.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
They make "wide", "long" whatever gas blocks specifically to cover those, YHM and other make them, forget who else
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
My recommendation would be a clamp-on gas block, helps avoid any Issues...Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
This works well & covers the grooves from the taper pins: http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-low-profile-gas-block-lt-202
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]
why not just buy a used fsb and shave it down? if you have a bench grinder and a dremel you could have it done in 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why not just buy a used fsb and shave it down? if you have a bench grinder and a dremel you could have it done in 30 minutes.
View Quote

Yeah if youre on a budget and already have a FSB this is a good route.
It will be covered by your rail you said so looks wont matter, not that they look terrible when done right.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Why go ghetto when you can get a gas block that is designed for what you have....

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because it's very unlikely a used fsb will have the holes drilled in the same place as his barrel slots (each individual fsb is drilled and mounted to an individual barrel).
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My recommendation would be a clamp-on gas block, helps avoid any Issues...Good luck.
View Quote

Me too, if you don't mind the front slot being exposed I'd just go with a Daniel Defense clamp-on (or Vltor, or maybe the YHM pinch screw if you have room under your handguard).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top