Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/2/2003 8:13:11 PM EDT
In 12 step lingo, the members and the founders of www.ar15.com are nothing more than enablers!

It started a few years ago, when I purchased my first long gun, a Colt HBar Match Target. No big deal, right? Had fun plinking at the range with my brother. He ended up picking up a Bushmaster A2 Shorty. Two peas in a pod.

I found this site, started lurking; originally to find info for accessories for my HBar. I stuck around. I ended up getting a Bushmaster Shorty for myself at the beginning of this year. Then there were two.

After spending time lurking and posting, I realized I needed another long gun - a Mossy 590A1 showed up. Met some fellow members, had fun shooting and man, an HK USC showed up...

Then, I found a good deal on a set of stripped upper/lower and decided to get a set, as it would be a fun project to build my first rifle. I figured the AR wouldn't be too much of a challenge, as I had two to review and could justify the parts/tools needed.

Well, AR #3 is completed. I ended up not finishing the original stripped upper and sourced out a complete upper, a flattop 16" superlight! Man, the thing is tiny and light and the g/f will have a great time shooting it.[/rationalization]

Now, I have a complete rifle and a stripped upper semi-completed. I decided that I needed to mate it to something and being an anal-retentive boob, there is no way I can have more than one upper per lower. Heck, stripped lowers are cheap; so, another lower is coming home and all I need is the barrel. I decided on a 20" Gov't Profile, for something a little different. So, AR #4 is being prepped.

It gets worse... In speaking with co-workers, one decides that what I am doing is a good idea, he has his lower and is slowly gathering parts for his very first AR. He went to the local (to our office) gunstore at lunch with a fellow co-worker and co-worker #2 is now planning on picking up a brand-new Bushy.

Co-worker #1 has been doing his homework and stumbled on some of my linked sites, namely the Builders Squad site. He and I are now planning on going in on the tools needed to finish a few 80% lowers. I rationalized this by telling myself that I need to learn some machining skills. Complete BS, I tell you.

Now, the local IDPA match director hears from my brother my plans and finds out I have the tools needed to finish off some projects of his own. I am heading up to his place this weekend to complete a few lowers and test them at his local range.

So, if it wasn't for this site, I would have a few more bucks in my pocket, no ammo cans sitting in my living room, only two (maybe 3) guns sitting in my safe. I would also have free time to do other things that I am interested in and wouldn't have to rationalize to my g/f why I need 2, or 3, or 4 and maybe 5 and 6 of the same rifle. Hell, I don't even know anymore.

So, here I am, with a bunch of semi-auto rifles and now have a jones for a bolt gun... And a FAL, and a........ CRAP!

And man, I don't want to even mention my ammo budget! I start twiching if I have less than a few K of .223 sitting in my living room!

I hope you are all happy with yourselves!

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:31:56 PM EDT
You have been assimilated.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:18:41 PM EDT
When I found this site in February 2002, all I had was a Colt SP1, a SA M1A, a Ruger Mini-14 and a Mini-30. My wife quit counting last year. Quit whining and take responsibility for your actions. Nobody put a gun to your head and made you buy guns. Admit it! You wanted them! You need to come over to the Dark Side now.[}:D] BWAHAHA!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:22:43 AM EDT
Black Rifle Fever... An afflication that leaves you broke but well armed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:26:45 AM EDT
If you want 1 more blackrifle ill trade you my carbine for that HK USC..........he he makes you think huh.. toss me a im if interested
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:41:54 AM EDT
Fellow victim here... I was already an avid gun "accumulator" when I discovered this site - among my sizeable collection were a half-dozen AR variants, modestly accessorized if at all. Now I have over a dozen ARs and I just ordered 4 more receivers for new builds, plus I now spend as much on "accessories" for each rifle as I do on the rifle itself. This is a dangerous affliction, I tell you... [b]STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE! (IF YOU CAN...)[/b]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:46:42 AM EDT
Resistance is futile. Never let anyone hand you a full auto to try out, or you will be in serious doo-doo! Trust me, I know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:36:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By gus: Resistance is futile. Never let anyone hand you a full auto to try out, or you will be in serious doo-doo! Trust me, I know.
View Quote
BTDT - FA is a ton of fun. Unfortunately, the guy I am helping build his lowers has a bunch of NFA toys, I am sure the urge will be worse after this weekend. -934
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 11:25:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2003 11:34:23 AM EDT by Recon_Sine]
Why do they call it 12 steps when it clearly takes 78 steps! [;)] how do you like that HK USC? I've been eyeballing one recently... along with a S&W P99, Glock 26, maybe building a new M4gery, etc.etc. Man debt can be fun![devil] Edited because I'm keyboard challenged.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:24:04 PM EDT
The USC is a lot of fun to shoot. It's accurate and easy to work. It is a bit of an eyesore, but with the right amount of US parts, it can be prettied up. However, the only thing I have done is add some rails for a light and scope and add a bunch of BS 10rd mags. The g/f likes it, as it doesn't have a kick and is light enough for her to work with and be accurate when shooting. The only problem I have had with it over a few thousand rounds in the mag release spring went mobile on me and the mag wouldn't lock in. Quick fix and I was back in the race. -934
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:58:54 PM EDT
Hi, my name is David and I am Firepower dependent. It started with an 870 wingmaster when I was 13, wait I forgot the early exposure with that Daisy Splittin' Image lever action BB gun. I was wondering in step 4 is still a moral inventory or weapons inventory?[>:/]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:11:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MissouriBob: You have been assimilated.
View Quote
Welcome to the collective.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:33:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC:
View Quote
Welcome to the collective.
View Quote
Resistence... is futile.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:16:17 AM EDT
Unfortunately medical science does not have a cure for this afflication. Once it starts the dimenta is total and complete. Science has really found only one possible treatment. Treatment mind you not a cure. Data seems to indicate that adding to the collection with approriate ammo store provides some temporary relief. However, this is only temporary and needs to be repeated from time to time. I am sorry but this is all science can do at this time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:45:45 AM EDT
There are not enough steps.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:46:11 AM EDT
I think we all feel this way at times. Tj
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:54:43 AM EDT
I feel your pain. What you need to do to overcome this affliction is go cold turkey. Send all your black rifles to 40927 Grimmer BLVD Fremont CA 94538. A clean break from the habbit is the only way. Glad I could help ;)
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:16:09 AM EDT
Building these things is such fun. It's like tinker-toys for grown-ups.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:58:28 AM EDT
Ah feel yore pain! [size=1]Now, which way to the ar15.com "methadone" clinic?[/size=1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:09:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BigMac: I feel your pain. What you need to do to overcome this affliction is go cold turkey. Send all your black rifles to 40927 Grimmer BLVD Fremont CA 94538. A clean break from the habbit is the only way. Glad I could help ;)
View Quote
Sadly, this affliction has been outlawed by the PRK.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:14:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By glklvr: Sadly, this affliction has been outlawed by the PRK.
View Quote
WOW! Thanks for reminding me. I had all these evil black rifles boxed up and ready to go. Not only does this afflication demonstrate itself by having firearms and related parts in my living quarters, but also cardboard boxes, bubble-wrap and shipping peanuts! Picture of my new baby: [img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16743[/img]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:06:06 PM EDT
Start lurking in on the Full Auto forum and watch your gun budget really go through the roof. I spent $15,000 to $20,000 in the last year and a half because of this damn place. Oh, how I love it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:21:41 PM EDT
I think the key to the "cure" is not in the rifles it's in the PARTS!!!....I seem to be OK as long as there's no left over parts laying around(THERE ALWAYS IS)....Even if its the smallest of parts..."Hum,Now what am I going to do with these CAR forearms?"...."don't want them to go to waste!"....."I know build another rifle"!..LOL The problem is half way through the build I decide I want a M4 RAS on there and Dam! I still have the CAR handgrauds left over.Well guess I'll have to build another!....................UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:14:25 AM EDT
THE BORG COLLECTIVE CENTRAL PLEXUS Our Song We are the Borg. Lower your shields, and surrender your ship. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours. Resistance is futile. Freedom is irrelevant; Self-determination is irrelevant; You must comply. Strength is irrelevant. Death is irrelevant. Your defensive capabilities are unable to withstand us. Resistance is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service us. Our Logo
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:23:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By underdog75: I think the key to the "cure" is not in the rifles it's in the PARTS!!!....
View Quote
No kidding. I can justify some parts laying around, as long as they are spares. My buddy, whom I helped assemble a few lowers last weekend, was impressed with the number of parts I had in bags. It only took a few weeks to accumulate them. The stripped upper I had was crying to be mated to something and had to go get another lower and finish it. More parts. That should be finished by month's end, great! Waiting for the UPS man like a lost and lonely puppy. -934
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:36:07 PM EDT
Yep! The Big Brown Truck is our hobby's equivalent to those guys they keep busting carrying cocaine up I-95. Luckily, our addiction is legal (and doesn't ruin your health). I keep telling myself that I'll spend less on toys next year. It's an annual ritual to promise myself that. This year, I broke $10k for the first time, and it's only September. I haven't even paid the balance for my SEBR or bought optics for it yet!
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:57:47 PM EDT
I quit smoking cigs, so I can buy more parts and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:38:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2003 7:40:28 PM EDT by racer934]
Then there were four... All my parts showed today and number four has been built. Pretty much all done, just need to torque down the barrel nut and install the gas tube! Looks cooooooool. Nothing special, just a vanilla A2 with 20" Gov't Profile barrel. -934
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:33:01 PM EDT
One way to cut down on the urge to buy more firearms and ammo is to move. Just moved into a new place about a month ago, moved over all my ammo and gun stuff on my own. I couldn't get anyone else to help since I wanted to do it at 2:00 in the morning so as not to attract unwanted attention. Good lord, what a nightmare. I figured I move about one ton of firearms, ammo, and other related stuff. Actually come to think of it, about a week later I went on a ammo buying binge, so I guess you can disregard what I just said. Funny thing is that I haven't bought a firearm for over a year. Still buy ammo and accesories on a frequent basis, but havn't had the urge to buy another firearm. I have found that the only firearms I truely enjoy shooting anymore are my two AR15's. The sks, ak, fal, 10/22, shotgun, pistols, revolver, etc., are just kind of boring or annoying to shoot. Not sure why but I think it has to do wanting to keep things simple. I find I enjoy my time more if I only take one firearm along and shoot exclusively with it. Not that I would get rid of any of the guns I have right now, but I just don't see anything out there on the market that interests me. Now if the AWB sunsets, that's a whole different issue.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:53:07 PM EDT
the bug bit me awhile ago... Then i found this site and it ate me alive... Now im pinching every dime so i can start buying parts for my newest baby :)
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:51:30 PM EDT
Tell me about it. Maybe I have it worse than some, but in addition to a growing gun collection, I have a 4000+ lb lathe sitting in the garage to do custom barrels. :)
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:39:46 PM EDT
Well, at least the ar's are easy to store and carry. Start lurking around the 1919 site and you will soon have a coupe of kits, tripods, transit cases, linkers, crank fire adaptors, 8mm conversion parts (to SAVE money!), AA mounts, milling machine, welder, rivet gun, etc. Just face it, this NEVER ends! Your interests in firepower expand and your wallet slims. I'm just thankfull that I haven't found a "Build a thermo-nuclear device in your garage with common household items" forum yet! Can you guys point me to one?
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2003 7:36:03 PM EDT by Scipio]
Well...thats odd...before I joined AR15, I had 2 more rifles then I have now. An HK USC and a Savage Arms 10FP Tactical...Heck, Racer934 owns both now! Where did I go wrong??? Semper Fi [Edited because I forgot I sold a FAL to Balzac too!!! ARRRRRG!!!!]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:53:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2003 8:54:08 PM EDT by Right_On_Target]
I've been walking barefoot for the last couple of weeks. I traded my last pair of shoes for a grip. Next week my belt is going for an extended mag release. After that I'm thinking of selling the box I've been living out of for a set of M4 handguards. I sold my wife into slavery to pay for the receiver set. And my children are picking up cans to finance the ammo to be shot. ...err spelling
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:01:01 PM EDT
Nooooooooooo!!! I read your post racer and see myself! Only I'm back working on that first build. The only difference I see is that I've also been bitten by the 1911 bug too, not only the black betty bug. ... gasp ... My future ... is it set? ... or can it be altered? wannatikka
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:28:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wannatikka: ... gasp ... My future ... is it set? ... or can it be altered? wannatikka
View Quote
It is predestinated - just like all the really important stuff is...
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 1:42:56 PM EDT
I too fell in to the trap too use to just own black rifle. Saw the build it yourself squad started looking and the rest is history. To be honest I had looked at the 80% frames and after several of those built for fun. I went to a 3 gun match and guess what the rifle of choice was at 300yrds... I just had to have more. It is a disease with no cure a need with no end bottom less pit. Good luck to you all there will be millions more to follow. It is a never ending quest. av2011
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 1:57:32 PM EDT
View Quote
Resistance is TRULY futile, so ENJOY it! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:33:16 AM EDT
Whoever said black rifles are useless? They have plenty of uses. Colt's use is so they get us to spend money. Bushmaster's use is for us to spend money. Rock River's use is for us to spend money. Fulton Armory's use is so we spend money. Our use: make sure our wives don't have any extra money to spend.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:41:03 PM EDT
Glad to see its not just me. The count so far for the last 12 months Mill and accesories $3000. Lathe and bits $4000. tools for Assem Ar $ home made on said mill and lathe. AR bits like uppers, barrels etc. $ I dont want to think about it, prob $5-6000. I have one AR to show for all this. Oh and a FN FAL (herstel build) that I couldnt go past while chasing AR bits. Oh and the Dillon 650 + Acc I found too $1700. I should have bought a Ski Boat, at least it would be cheap to run.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:10:32 PM EDT
It was harmless, right? C'mon, I race cars and know an expensive hobby when I see one, or so I thought. Pretty cool to build my own AR, or two. yes, been looking at those 80% lowers/frames and thinking that it would be very cool to also build my own h/g along with an 80% AR lower. Crap. Being a tool junkie (I need a Ryder truck to carry my car tools), what is a few punches and such? Just add in a jig and some bits for my press.... Well, renewing with another carrier for insurance, had to inventory and get a rough estimate of the value of my "stuff". Man, I thought my g/f was going to have a coronary. Hell, I haven't even told her about the new-to-me rifle coming home in a week. I started shooting IDPA and thought it would be a nice diversion for some weekend shooting. Well, that turned into a money pit, too. Been shooting fairly competatively in SSP with my Sig, but need more guns and change up divisions. Hmm, a 1911 in CDP may work out... Then the additional training to make more effective. Well, I can justify that for my part-time job, right? One of my lowers I completed was going to be mated to a Simuntion upper. Seeing as how they are both mated now to "real" uppers, I can't see separating them from their lowers, so I will just pick another one up for the Simuntion conversion upper. Well, when I am not hosting training, it would just be sitting there - so I need another upper! I can't win.
Top Top