Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 11:40:27 AM EDT
Went to the local fun shop today, and spotted an oly arms 20" upper on the shelf. It was a forged upper, and on the outside appeared nice enough, but when I pulled the bolt back it was like sandpaper grinding on aluminum. The finish on the bolt looked really rough, and as I said before... it felt like somone poured a gallon of beach sand in the action.

It was the first time I have ever handled an brand new upper. I purchased my bushy AR15 used, and it feels like silk. Everything slides sooo nice! The bolt looks nice too, not so grainy and rough.

Do most new uppers feel like sandpaper at first or is this an olympic thing? That upper was disgusting on the inside! Blech!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#1]
wierd.
may be a bad gun.
everyone makes one now and then.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Same thing happened to me when I received my RRA upper.  It's no big deal, I just cleaned it (as you should do with a new AR) and then it was fine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]
????

Could it possibly be tiny metal shavings left in the receiver before shipping out?

Interesting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Exposure to dust/dirt + no lube sounds about right.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It's fine.  It's just not broken in and cleaned.  A used upper is always going to be smooth, but a new one often is real gritty and makes a weird noise.  It goes away after you CLP it and blast off 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure the heavy hard coat anodize contributed to that.  It will smooth out after shooting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
NevedaARshooter,

You are right.  In fact when we [marines] got issued our new M16A4 it was the same story.  BTW our M16A4s are made by FN now.  Just buy one shoot it and it will smooth out.

Max
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
No biggie.  My Oly was the same way.  After some shooting and cleaning they are wonderful. Their web site claims they make them with a tighter fit but I don't know if that's BS or not.  Don't let it turn you off on Olympic.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Why was the rifle in your mouth?  Must have been the cosmolean.

Jest a lil huemore
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#10]

After a hundred rounds to break in the barrel and a good cleaning she should be smooth. I have seen that in a few brands of new uppers, what you feel it the metal to metal of the new charging handle against the new upper receiver. These parts will normally wear into each other somewhat, they will become smooth. The charging handle is a spec piece, it is not made specifically for the exact upper. In fact the only part that is critical to be well matched is the bolt, if used. If new, then it just needs to be to spec also.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top