Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/29/2003 12:55:41 PM EDT
oK went to the gun show this weekend here in Dallas.. I saw two exact Preban colts being walked around trying to be sold.. One guy wanted 1900 for his SP1 (very perfect also) the other wanted 1200 for a like AR (very perfect)

I followed them around to 3 tables that will buy most anything black.......The 1200 guy didnt like the offer but took a card the offer?..............900.00.......His response was ok but let me see what I can sell it for......later I see him leaving the show sans weapon.....

The 1900.00 guy nearly got in a fist fight with the same dealer..........the dealer offered 900 for it also.... this guy came unglued with all the typical no sunset rare this rare that bull shite one can expect.. then his last comment was "I have more it to it then 1900".. apparently he bought it for 2300.00 He verbally asaulted the gun table owner told him he was a thief. and he was just goint o turn around a sell it for 100% mark up......hummmmmm I had to jump in at that point.. I pointed out to the guy that there was a nice colt on his table for 1200.00 with a box.......Of course I deserved the the ranting form him "stay out of this! it none of your business" Yup I deserved that.... but it was well worth it.

OK I move on to another table.. this guy is selling this Colt preban for his "buddie" 1875.00 "repainted"!!! I asked him if would go lower on the price he said hell no these are grand fathered assault weapons and its a rare weapon......hummm sure.... It was a target something another blue box with no bayo and a flash hider.....yup rare as hell I walked on oh he also had a rare extremely used Sig 228 for 700.. It had night sights so that why it was 100 over what he called normal.

Do any of you guy remember going to gun shows for good deals? because the dealers were always trying to hard core you with list prices????????

Now its just the opposite the big dealers in Dallas Bachman Pawn and Gun have the lowest prices and the gun show single table nut jobs have the highest prices.....WHat the hell happened?

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 1:17:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2003 1:19:50 PM EDT by MADM16A1]
I haven't been to gun shows for a year because of what you speak about. They have become a place for people with deep pockets to spend too much money on overpriced stuff. Even the junk dealers want to much for everything. Deals at gun shows are very rare and get snatched up front. As far as I'm concerned, and with my limited knowledge of shows within the state, anything faintly resembling something exotic, preban, collectible, or special-edition is ridiculously overpriced at all gun shows I've been to lately. I would never get angry about it nor think about these guys as thieves. As long as there is someone out there willing to pay the price, you can't blame them. However, the guys that show up with the same overpriced items, show after show, year after year, they crack me up. Talk about stubborn old bastards. [;)] Yes, prices are better at my local shops, and you can always find way better online deal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:46:35 PM EDT
I usually go to the gun show just to look. Hardly ever find any deals anymore. I still laugh when I think about this one vendor who was trying to sell stipper clips for $.10 each. These things were so nasty and rusty, they looked like they would crumble if you picked them up. No way in hell they would even come close to working. I guess that's why he had a sign that said "Don't Touch". This was the same vendor who told some cops that "they better buy some of his preban Glock mags, because if they are caught at the range with their LEO mags or caught with LEO mags while out of uniform, they will get arrested. On the other hand, where else can one go to sample the different varieties of body funk collected under one roof?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:00:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2003 4:01:57 PM EDT by Energizer]
I've seen dealers try to rip people off BIG TIME, on more than one occasion. For example, I have seen many OBVIOUS post-bans marked as pre-bans. I saw a Colt Match Target at a Richardson gun show last year with no muzzle brake or flash hider (post ban config all the way, post ban receiver), marked PRE-BAN: $2000. I asked if it was pre-ban and he insisted it was! I've seen dealers buy pre-ban guns. They tell the seller its not worth much, the ban will sunset, blah blah blah, or they compare them to post-ban prices and the seller is clueless, etc., then they turn around and mark them up BIG TIME... Bottom line: if you can get as much as you can for them, great-- that's the American way. However, I don't think its ethical for someone, especially a dealer who knows the costs, to take advantage of someone to make a huge profit. My pre-ban is pretty pricey, but I love it. I probably have AT LEAST $2200 (probably more) invested in mine, but then again-- I have two complete sets of parts/components (all Colt pre-ban), minus a lower...
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:01:55 PM EDT
Yea, same here. Here it's just the same old travelling circus going from one city to the next, reappearing about 3 months later; same dealers, same stuff. I go once a year just to get ideas, in case anything new comes up unexpectedly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:20:10 PM EDT
1ar4me you must have went to the Mesquite Rodeo center gun show, I went there and thought it sucked! WTF was up with the electric scooter display, what did that have to do with a gun show? I'm a sucker for the gun shows, although 1/2 the time I go to 'em anymore I get frustrated. Those guys walking around with those ARs shouldn't even talk to the table guys unless they're just desperate to sell.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:31:49 PM EDT
Sure, we all laugh at the idiots with too high prices. You'd think they'd learn after they have to load up the same set of guns time after time & never get them sold. I guess I'm lucky here in Nashville as we don't have too many idiot dealers at our gunshows. OTOH, around here NO ONE ever tells someone to mind their own business at a gunshow. That's an invitation to an asswhipping.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2003 5:24:53 PM EDT by Romwin]
Well, I guess I found one of the rarities. I bought a preban about 3 weeks ago for $800. Preban Essential Arms Lower with a Colt A1 upper 20". The thing was in great shape so I couldn't pass it up. Shoots VERY well. Ive already started rebuilding it and found that the A1 buttstock is an older model one with the buffer tube having the 2 holes in it. Im pleased.... but, there was someone selling a similar type 16" for $1800. I bounced back and forth between the two to get the deal I got and whalaa... $800 for one and the other guy only moved 100 bucks.... hehe
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:38:03 PM EDT
Preban LNIB Colts and Bushys sell for $1000 to $1200 at my local dealer. A couple years ago this same dealer offered me $1800 each for my two preban Colts, but I had no intention to sell them. I paid $650 each for them brand new in 1991 and have enjoyed them a lot over the years. People who don't live and breathe this stuff tend to be pretty ignorant about their prebans actual value. Nobody wants to admit that the rifle they paid a fortune for is worth less today than when they bought it, particularly if they bought it for "investment" purpoes. I don't know about you guys, but if my two prebans become completely worthless next year I'll be happy as hell about it. That will mean that we won the fight (at least temporarily) and that will be great news for all of us.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:06:07 PM EDT
At the last the gunshow that I went to there was a vendor selling mostly SAR and MAADI AKs from $45.00 to $60.00. The catch was that they were all scorched, burnt, and twisted POS from being in a fire. Now if that jackass thinks he could sell somebody that scrap for $60.00, imagine what others will do.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:21:22 PM EDT
Yea I saw them I offered the woman $30 for one. it looked ok not bent or twisted just rusty and she got pissed. I told her none of them were worth more than $30. who would want a burnt AK? I thought it would be nice to have to clean up and put on the wall but I would never consider firing it. some people are out of their mind. FREE
Originally Posted By jimtash9: At the last the gunshow that I went to there was a vendor selling mostly SAR and MAADI AKs from $45.00 to $60.00. The catch was that they were all scorched, burnt, and twisted POS from being in a fire. Now if that jackass thinks he could sell somebody that scrap for $60.00, imagine what others will do.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:26:58 PM EDT
The last gunshow I was at I saw a guy with a box (12) of Surefire batteries for $60. Anybody can get them for $15 + shipping direct from Surefire.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:55:09 PM EDT
I sold my Colt Blue Label Gov't Carbine to a fellow member on this site a couple years ago for $1550.I made a little profit but I didn't gouge the price either.I also sold a preban Bushy Shorty for $1300.The prices I see some people asking for Prebans is Absurd.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:57:30 PM EDT
I dont buy at gunshows anymore. I either buy through Ebay, ARFcom EE or online stores.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:01:38 PM EDT
Some shows are better than others. Of course the little ones that are only about 5 miles from the house are very small, and bargains are very rare. Sometimes at the good shows you can get great deals on targets, ammo, and other little stuff. Nothing really touches Wal Mart's $11/100 rounds of 9mm FMJ though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:29:36 PM EDT
The point is this. If it is in the assault weapon category at a gun show. You wont get a good deal on it. The panic that has set in about the AWB renewal has effected prices and will continue to do so until that magic date comes and goes. You can still get a good deal on a lot of sporting and hunting weapons at most gun shows.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 11:26:40 PM EDT
I saw a beat-to-shit M9 bayonet at a table with this written on the tag: "Genuine US Army issue bayonet from Desert Storm. Killed an Iraqi soldier. $250" You gotta be shitting me. I stabbed a sirloin with my steak knife; does that mean I can sell it for $50?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:53:34 AM EDT
I went to the Ft. Lauderdale gun show last month and couldn't believe how high the preban prices were. They were much higher than when I went a year earlier. The cheapest one I saw was a basic Colt sp1 and it was going for $1500 and they went up from their like a rocket. Prebans that are going for $1200-$1400 on the EE they were asking $1800-$2600. All of the new guns were way out of sight too. The Colt 6400 was $1050 and up. The bushy M4 A2's were $900 and up. I walked out of the place pissed off. I even hit a few of the dealers up for a discount and they wouldn't budge. But I heard vendors talking all over the show about how bad business was and how nobody was buying anything. Thats what they get, I hope they go out of business. I think that they are trying to rip off people who go to gun shows because they think they will get a better deal. I purchased my last two new guns at Bachman Pawn and gun like you mentioned, they have the best prices every time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:16:57 AM EDT
I'm a parts freak, and I like to hit the shows for GI surp parts and assemblies. You guys are right I guess about what entire rifles are selling for these days. I don't even look at them here in Georgia; just pick up a piece here and there, and ultimately build my own[:D] I have found a fair amount of parts and assemblies, mainly off of M16s and 16A1s that are currently floating around the market at pretty good prices; good enough so that in the past two years I've been able to build up post ban copies of the 16 and A1 for less than $600 apiece. Got a big hole upper with forward assist, to put on my SP1, for $100 last year, and the month after one of our commercial advertisers on this site had the same thing for over $200. Another good reason to build your own[:D]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:19:23 AM EDT
Used to be you went to a gun show for two reasons- find something unique or get a good deal on something. Now its all overpriced crap.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:55:18 AM EDT
the houston gun shows have had great prices on new guns. they get a bit lower every time i go. better prices there than from any dealer i know. the pisser is that you can't get a fair price on any trade in. dealers play such as assinine game with trades. so..... don't bother trading anything, but you can find good prices on new guns.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:03:49 AM EDT
The Gun shows in Michigan are a joke too. The way I see it, it's simple, the dealers at these shows know damned well that there $1800 AR-15's are going to be worth what a post ban is right now, and the postban's are going to be worth even less "IF" the sunset ban goes out. "Rare", "one of a kind"- my ass! "After the new AWB all will be illegal" Hurry!! Buy one Now!! .....all BS in my book.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 10:03:59 AM EDT
Gun shows are more about entertainment, than good deals. Sure, everyone once in a while you will get a good deal on used stuff, but it is always entertaining!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 10:17:12 AM EDT
Renegade has priceless comments on gunshow boobs.....
Top Top