Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/17/2003 1:40:12 PM EDT
I built my carbine first with an A1 upper. I was getting 3" groups at 100yds. Knowing that my 20" rifle gives me .75" groups, I switched out to a flattop and used an Ultra Dot and got 3" groups. Then I mounted a 4x scope and get 3" groups. The hell with it, I will take that off and go back to buis and live with 3" groups. I only use this gun a 75 to 100yds. anyway, but it really pisses me off that with my lousy eyesight I do just as well with irons. I was thinking of getting an Eotech, but I don't know.... Am I just back asswards or has anyone else had this problem? Maybe I should get a new barrel. Not the ammo-tried quite a few different loads with the same result. Sorry for rambling, I had to vent!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:45:18 PM EDT
1) Who made the barrel? 2) Has it ever shot well? 3) If it has shot well - when was the last time you gave it a good copper removal. 4) If recently (copper removal) do you do it too often - and do you have a throat gauge to check for throat wear?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:40:54 PM EDT
The barrel is (was) a brand new Oly, when I first bore sighted it at 50yds it made a virtually one hole group, it looked like one bullet hole. At 100, it always seemed to shoot 3" groups. I have shot handloads from 50gr. bullets to 68gr. with a variety of powders, along with the usual nato spec rounds. I know it is not a bench gun, but I know AR's are capable of a lot better than this. There is a gunshow next week, I will look for a new barrel as there are always a few good AR suppliers there. 1/9 twist by the way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:35:23 PM EDT
THAT EXPLAINS IT TO ME, I'D GET A NEW BARREL! Better shootin, Jack
Top Top