Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 5:22:19 PM EST
I find it intresting if not confusing. you can find an AR-15 for about $700.00, You can get a stripped lower for around $100.00, A kit which includes an assembled upper, bolt and carrier, and every thing you need assemble your sripped lower for around $440.00. But look to find an upper assembled with a bolt and carrier for under $300.00. This I do not under stand. As you may have guessed I have the complete lower and it is driving me crazy finding a complete upper ready to pin on and take to the range. Does any one know where to find one. This is my first personel AR and I plan on geting at least two more in the future.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:15:04 PM EST
A complete factory rifle has a federal excise tax imposed on them. Something like 8% tax tacked on. So, the cheapest way to buy your parts is to buy a complete parts kit and buy a stripped lower. Sell your excess parts. Rick
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:19:11 PM EST
I noticed the same thing. I have two uppers and one lower. I set out to find just to find a finished lower. No problem but after adding the bolt and T, It was more than a complete kit less stripped lower. So what the hell, now I will have three uppers and two lowers and two bolts. Figure I won't need the 16 until SHTF anyway. I like to reach out and touch the target from a distance.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:15:09 PM EST
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. I am now trying to figure out if I want to drop the $450.00 on a complete kit, and keep the lower parts or get an upper and a bolt for about the same price. The problem is that after this post ban I am working on I will be placing an ad for a pre ban lower. Since this one I want to make a car type. I will still have to order the correct parts.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:39:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/30/2002 4:41:20 PM EST by TomJefferson]
Buy the kit, my understanding is that the only diff in a pre ban and post ban lower is the serial number. Stocks with parts for some reason, probably availability, don't fit the over price individual parts mode.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:53:13 PM EST
Check out www.del-ton.com They offer their own "brand" of complete uppers, which they call barrel assemblies, for around $365.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:52:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/31/2002 2:53:40 PM EST by LRM]
ARsEVER is correct Hi I'm new to this board I'm Lee of LRM Custom Firearms & suppressors I'm a C2 and as a mfg we have to pay 11% federal excise tax even on ammo that is made so remember ever time you by ammo,gun or even spear gun you are paying 11% excise tax
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:11:09 PM EST
Thank you everyone for your input. I was mainly venting on the price for complete uppers. Mostly because I did not have enough to buy every thing I needed at one time. But I was able to find place I have ordred from before at a real good price. I paid $303.00 for a car 16 upper. I ordered a the bolt assembly, and charging handel from another place.
Top Top