Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2005 9:24:31 PM EDT
Hi, Im Dustin from Louisiana.

I recently joined the "dark side" and traded one of my pistols (and some cash) for a mint condition Colt Match Target HBAR (evil black rifle).  It was sold to a dealer at a recent gunshow by a police officer who had it in his personal collection.  Im a former part time officer with a small town department, and I am planning on getting back into it, so I will be carrying this weapon in my patrol unit.  Ive been wanting one since I got out of the service (US Army Reserves) and now that I finally got one, Ive got some questions (please excuse them if theve been asked before).  

1.  This rifle dosent have any flash supressor.  The barrel is slightly stepped down on the end where one would be, but there is no threads.  How much should it cost to have the barrel threaded?  Would it void the Colt warranty?

2.  Im planning on putting on a collapsable stock.  What are some decent brands?  Ive heard that if you put a cheap one on, you will have rattling problems.

3.  Are there any decent forearm light systems for a decent price?  Dosent Surefire make a dedicated system for the AR-15?

4.  Is there any types of tritium sights for the AR-15?

I thank anyone who answers in advance for there help.

Dustin
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the sight. You should be able to have the bbl threaded for about $75. Adco a site sponsor is a great place to do it for you. Go with a CMT stock. They run about $65 and are totally mil spec and top quality. Trijicon makes sights for the AR however the rear sight is pretty much useless on an AR. As for lights I can't really give you any advise but I would be interested in some low cost options as well. Check the E.E. (equipment exchange) and the site sponsor vendors. You will find some great people and great deals on this site. Just be ready to get a second job the fund the BRD (black rifle disease)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't add anything to what YELLOWV said, but I would like to say welcome to the site. My family and I thank you for your service-both as a police officer and as a GI

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can't add anything to what YELLOWV said, but I would like to say welcome to the site. My family and I thank you for your service-both as a police officer and as a GI hr

There is no need to thank me.  I served beacuse I felt a need to help our country.  And while I never did do any overseas service, I am thinking about joining either the Navy or Marines soon so that I can do my part again.  The only thing thats stopped me to this point is that I want to get ahead financially before I go back in the service, beacuse I will be taking a severe pay cut.

Anyone else on this site do volunteer work?  Im also a volunteer firefighter/recovery diver (its all my town has), Master Freemason, and Red Cross volunteer.  Im about to start up a DAT (Disaster Action Team) in my parish since we dont have one at this time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
You seem to be a great American. Thank you.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Thank you for being a great American
I wish that I was of he age that I had to make that decision. I know that would be hard but given the times.
go for the crane stock its the best. ( check mfgs for prices)
for a part time PD officer a small light mount may be all you need.
Depending on your needs. Are you thinking full tactile?

Starting in the Bayou ( yes I have spent time in La) in a house the flash hider is not that useful you are in an area about  11X15 ft if they can't see that you are in good shape.
Out side you are f>>>ked they will shoot the flash
Check any GOOD gunsmith they will help you on the install of flash supressor.
Eat some boudan for me an I wish you luck
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent my rifles to ADCO to have the barrel threaded and flash hider installed. They do stellar work. If you do choose them for this, just send in the upper and remove the hanguards to save weight.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty thing. If the firearm is defective or unsafe in anyway, Colt will surely want you to send it on in for repairs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hi, Im Dustin from Louisiana.

I recently joined the "dark side" and traded one of my pistols (and some cash) for a mint condition Colt Match Target HBAR (evil black rifle).  It was sold to a dealer at a recent gunshow by a police officer who had it in his personal collection.  Im a former part time officer with a small town department, and I am planning on getting back into it, so I will be carrying this weapon in my patrol unit.  Ive been wanting one since I got out of the service (US Army Reserves) and now that I finally got one, Ive got some questions (please excuse them if theve been asked before).  

1.  This rifle dosent have any flash supressor.  The barrel is slightly stepped down on the end where one would be, but there is no threads.  How much should it cost to have the barrel threaded?  Would it void the Colt warranty?

Less than $100.00 Link to the best ADCO

2.  Im planning on putting on a collapsable stock.  What are some decent brands?  Ive heard that if you put a cheap one on, you will have rattling problems.

Link to the best Magpul

3.  Are there any decent forearm light systems for a decent price?  Dosent Surefire make a dedicated system for the AR-15?

Surefire is the siznatch but they dont come cheap.
4.  Is there any types of tritium sights for the AR-15?

Link to the best Trijicon

I thank anyone who answers in advance for there help.

Dustin

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok you topped me
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice rifle, I had one for years and it served me well.

What everybody else said is good.

For a light talk to Brightflashlights in the industry forum.  He will work with your budget to come up with the best set-up for the buck.  

Trijicon does make night sites, but if your rifle is a flat-top (my Match Target was), you might want to consider an optic such as an EOtech or an Aimpoint in conjunction with a back up iron sight (BUIS).

What is the barrel length?

Congrats on your purchase and getting involved with this site.  Stick around, for everyday there is something to be learned.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Before and after pics.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
AR the  "dark side"? I don't think so........if you joined the "dark side" then you would have bought a AK..........the rifle that was designed and used in the dark and evil empire of the communist world
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome Aboard!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Welcome Dustin.  You seem like a good American, serving our country and your community.

Good stuff, we need more people like you.

Max

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:57:52 AM EDT
[#14]
welcome Cajun!!

congratulations on your new rig, and your first step into one of the most compulsive and fanatical firearm pursuits.

If your Colt is a 20" barrel model, you should look at the photos in the AR15.com picture thread and those pix on ADCO's site to see how collapsible look on 20s.

some look good, are well balanced, and some are not. MagPul and LMT/SOPMODs seem to work best.

Lighting is an in depth discussion, that includes installation of railed for-ends, dedicated light modules, or simple tack-ons. Spend some time in the other forums here dedicated to that- it will save you considerable time and money (or cost you--)

In fact, I get a lot of my inspiration from what other more knowledgeable users do and share on the site- you can as well. In fact, you will learn more about the AR15 by reading thru this site than you could from any other resource.

Enjoy, and welcome aboard  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]
If it is a 20" and your sending it to adco to be threaded, spend the extra money to take it down to 16" and have that hbar turned down or heavily fluted to reduce weight.  For  a patrol rifle I would go with the streamlight m3x for an affordable light.  Do you have a flat top or a carry handle?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If it is a 20" and your sending it to adco to be threaded, spend the extra money to take it down to 16"...

... or split the difference.

I recently had a 20"HBAR cut down to 18" and threaded.  I haven't even scratched the surface of putting it through its paces yet, but so far I am very happy with this configuration.

And, BTW...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
AR the  "dark side"? I don't think so........if you joined the "dark side" then you would have bought a AK..........the rifle that was designed and used in the dark and evil empire of the communist world

+1

But welcome to the site, be sure to check out the "real" dark side on the AK forums.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#18]
you bought an AK?

Welcome to the site!

1: check out ADCO (industry section)

2: CMT is a great brand for M4 stocks

3: check out brightflashlights (EE and industry sec)--they have some surefire setups for a good price

4: i would forget the tritium sights--waste of money on a rifle imo

good luck
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, first let me thank everyone for the welcomes.  Its a rare thing to be welcomed so kindly into any community now-a-days, reguardless if its in real life, or on a forum.

My rifle right now I assume has the 20" barrel and the carry handle on top.  Would it hurt long range accuracy to cut the barrel down from 20 to 16"  How much will having the barell fluted help heat dispersal?  Should I only have it done underneath the handguards, or the full length of the barrel?

And again, thanks everyone for the heartfelt welcome.  If any of you are ever in Jeff Davis parish, LA, let me know, and I will get you some boudin, crawfish, etc.

Thanks again,

Dustin
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Would it hurt long range accuracy to cut the barrel down from 20 to 16"  How much will having the barell fluted help heat dispersal?  Should I only have it done underneath the handguards, or the full length of the barrel?

my advice would be to buy a 16 inch upper, and just swap it out with the lower........you're talking about a lot of work, and that means a lot of $$$$$$$ to have a competent gunsmith do do that kind of modification to a existing upper.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Well some fuck decided to play Heat in Elmhurst with an AW today. This was really bad timing. Anybody know if the standoff is ongoing?

Crap, I put this in the wrong thread. I was trying to post in the IL hometown thread about the impending Cook County AWB. Sorry for the off topic.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well some fuck decided to play Heat in Elmhurst with an AW today. This was really bad timing. Anybody know if the standoff is ongoing?

First I've heard of it.  Gotta go scan the news to learn some more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Others have covered this info, but I think I can add a bit.

Collapsible stocks:
CMT, LMT and Magpul are going to be your best bets. I chose a Magpul because it is longer than an A2 when fully extended and I am one tall guy. I think where you are getting the "rattley" stock thing from is that some companies make look alike M4 stocks that aren't mil-spec.

Night sights:
I've never heard of someone using them on an AR-15. I have seen front sight posts with a fiber optic running through them, but never on a weapon. Most people seem to get either an Aimpoint or EO-Tech/Bushnell holographic sight. Those are expensive though and you need funky adapters if you are mounting to an upper reciever with a non-detachable carry handle.

Flash Suppressors:
I can't reccomend someone to turn your barrel, but I can reccomend a FS. The Smith Enterprises Vortex and the Yankee Hill Machine Phantom are the current hot items. Both are going to mask the shot enough that it looks like you are flicking a bic. The Phantoms are $25ish and come in 3 versions. The Vortex is $40 and comes in one. The Phantoms break down as follows, model 28 has 4 ports and an agressive muzzle, the 5C1 has 5 ports (for firing prone with no dust kick up) and a smooth muzzle, the 5C2 has 5 ports and an agressive edge. As far as the barrel being heavy, it is probably more than you could ever need, but I wouldn't bother switching it out or changing the profile unless the weight bothers you.

Lighting:
Surefire makes handguard replacement lights, they are about $500 IIRC. You could get a floating foregrip and attach a light too. Surefire, LaRue and Pentagon Lights are pretty good. The combined price is going to be at *least* as much as the surefire handguard lights but you get the advantage of free floating your barrel too. As a bonus, surefire weapon lights have parts commonality with their M series lights.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top