Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2004 4:22:42 PM EDT
 Its a Bushmaster Varminter rifle.   Fotr the price, I was a bit suprised at how tight the tolerances of this weapon are.  It lists for $1,245, but I got it new for $975.  I think I got a pretty good deal. If I find time, I plan on geting to the range in a week or two, I will give a report.  Chris www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/lr-24v.asp
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like you got a good deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Now for the range reports.

add: what kind of glass you plan on mounting on it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
For $975, yes, you did well.  Look forward to a field report.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty dang pleased with my Varminter, I shot this target finishing the Leopold scope adjustments with Winchester 62gr R3, those Stoney Point Target Knobs are great fun.
It's a heck of an accurate rifle for the money.

http://www.pbase.com/image/32781435/original.jpg
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Good deal, looking forward to a range report.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Way to go man, have fun with it. Ever come to KS. look me up and we will go shoot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
sounds like you got a good deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Now for the range reports.

add: what kind of glass you plan on mounting on it?

I don't know yet.  I want to make sure and get something that will do the gun justice.  I am looking at maybe a Leupold or something along those lines.  Any suggestions would be great.  Keep in mind that I do not have $1000 to spend, I will probably go $400 or $500 at the most.  Chris
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I won't wait for Wedge this time....

You should have bought a COLT!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
sounds like you got a good deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Now for the range reports. hat

I don't know yet.  I want to make sure and get something that will do the gun justice.  I am looking at maybe a Leupold or something along those lines.  Any suggestions would be great.  Keep in mind that I do not have $1000 to spend, I will probably go $400 or $500 at the most.  Chris

Chris, it's well over $600 with the rings, shade, target knobs, Butler Creek covers, but my Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50mm was well worth it. My original 3-9x Leupold from 1983 mounted then on my Valmet M-78 .308 is still working quite well also.

http://www.pbase.com/image/32065580/original.jpg

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
target shooting or hunting small game?

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Let me start by saying I have always been and always will be a Leupold fan. However, I just bought a Varminter and put a new Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44 Matte (fine crosshair) on mine. I absolutely love this scope. It is maybe a tiny bit cheaper than a Leupold but I wanted something different and I'm glad I chose it. I did go with Leupold QRW rings though and have enjoyed them as well.

Scope:

www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=4&grp=16&productNr=6555

Rings:

www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/mounts_tactical.htm

Quoted:

Quoted:
sounds like you got a good deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Now for the range reports. hat

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Edwin,
What model bipod is that? I have a Harris L+S on mine and it looks taller (9-13" I think) than yours. However, I like yours better. Mine is just too dang tall for bench rest shooting and a normal gun rest won't work b/c the magazine gets in the way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Edwin,
What model bipod is that? I have a Harris L+S on mine and it looks taller (9-13" I think) than yours. However, I like yours better. Mine is just too dang tall for bench rest shooting and a normal gun rest won't work b/c the magazine gets in the way.

It's the Harris Bipod Model 1A2-BR 6" to 9" Solid Mount Black (from Midway).
At the low setting (as in the pic) it's perfect with a 20 round magazine (also in the pic) from a benchrest.  
I was going to get the taller model, but after researching the issue here on AR15.com I decided on the shorter model, many thanks to this forum again!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I won't wait for Wedge this time....

You should have bought a COLT!

Actually, I have heard many credible people, including Gunblast's Jeff Quinn, say this this is the most accurate .223 that they have ever fired.  Check this out... www.gunblast.com/Bushmaster_Varminter.htm
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Let me start by saying I have always been and always will be a Leupold fan. However, I just bought a Varminter and put a new Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44 Matte (fine crosshair) on mine. I absolutely love this scope. It is maybe a tiny bit cheaper than a Leupold but I wanted something different and I'm glad I chose it. I did go with Leupold QRW rings though and have enjoyed them as well.

Scope:

www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=4&grp=16&productNr=6555

Rings:

www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/mounts_tactical.htm

Yeah, Nikon makes some excellent optics.  As far as me buying a scope,  they are the other big contender.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
target shooting or hunting small game?

I would say both.  I will be hunting cyotes this fall and winter, but squirrels are the smallest critters that I will be taking down.  I pulled up in my driveway today and saw at least 8 or 9 squirrles in my front yard alone, I can't imagine the situation out in the country.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Bushmaster Varminter and it is very accurate. I scoped it with a Zeiss Conqest 4x14, mil-dot reticle, with Leupold Mark 4 super high rings. This scope/ring combo works well. Especially the rings. I took off the Bushmaster risers that come with the rifle and the rings are just the right height for the 44mm scope. I paid $1017 drive out ( tax, shipping, everything) for the rifle. I am very happy with this set-up but one is not enough. Talk about fun to shoot! Now looking at RRA Varminter with 18"-20" barrel. Then maybe an A2 upper with 16" barrel. It's got to stop somewhere???

Good shooting.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top