Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/19/2004 3:22:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/19/2004 3:23:45 PM EST by SF_Chris]
Its a Bushmaster Varminter rifle. Fotr the price, I was a bit suprised at how tight the tolerances of this weapon are. It lists for $1,245, but I got it new for $975. I think I got a pretty good deal. If I find time, I plan on geting to the range in a week or two, I will give a report. Chris www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/lr-24v.asp
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:17:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/19/2004 4:18:07 PM EST by Sharpshot]
sounds like you got a good deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Now for the range reports.

add: what kind of glass you plan on mounting on it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:18:35 PM EST
For $975, yes, you did well. Look forward to a field report.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:19:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:44:23 PM EST
I'm pretty dang pleased with my Varminter, I shot this target finishing the Leopold scope adjustments with Winchester 62gr R3, those Stoney Point Target Knobs are great fun.
It's a heck of an accurate rifle for the money.

http://www.pbase.com/image/32781435/original.jpg
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:48:08 PM EST
Good deal, looking forward to a range report.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:54:12 PM EST
Way to go man, have fun with it. Ever come to KS. look me up and we will go shoot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:17:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sharpshot:
sounds like you got a good deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Now for the range reports.

add: what kind of glass you plan on mounting on it?

I don't know yet. I want to make sure and get something that will do the gun justice. I am looking at maybe a Leupold or something along those lines. Any suggestions would be great. Keep in mind that I do not have $1000 to spend, I will probably go $400 or $500 at the most. Chris
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:22:04 PM EST
I won't wait for Wedge this time....

You should have bought a COLT!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:51:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By SF_Chris:

sounds like you got a good deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Now for the range reports. hat

I don't know yet. I want to make sure and get something that will do the gun justice. I am looking at maybe a Leupold or something along those lines. Any suggestions would be great. Keep in mind that I do not have $1000 to spend, I will probably go $400 or $500 at the most. Chris

Chris, it's well over $600 with the rings, shade, target knobs, Butler Creek covers, but my Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50mm was well worth it. My original 3-9x Leupold from 1983 mounted then on my Valmet M-78 .308 is still working quite well also.

http://www.pbase.com/image/32065580/original.jpg

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:52:43 PM EST
target shooting or hunting small game?

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:00:42 PM EST
Let me start by saying I have always been and always will be a Leupold fan. However, I just bought a Varminter and put a new Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44 Matte (fine crosshair) on mine. I absolutely love this scope. It is maybe a tiny bit cheaper than a Leupold but I wanted something different and I'm glad I chose it. I did go with Leupold QRW rings though and have enjoyed them as well.

Scope:

www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=4&grp=16&productNr=6555

Rings:

www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/mounts_tactical.htm

Originally Posted By SF_Chris:

sounds like you got a good deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Now for the range reports. hat

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:04:19 PM EST
Edwin,
What model bipod is that? I have a Harris L+S on mine and it looks taller (9-13" I think) than yours. However, I like yours better. Mine is just too dang tall for bench rest shooting and a normal gun rest won't work b/c the magazine gets in the way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:16:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By hunt127588:
Edwin,
What model bipod is that? I have a Harris L+S on mine and it looks taller (9-13" I think) than yours. However, I like yours better. Mine is just too dang tall for bench rest shooting and a normal gun rest won't work b/c the magazine gets in the way.

It's the Harris Bipod Model 1A2-BR 6" to 9" Solid Mount Black (from Midway).
At the low setting (as in the pic) it's perfect with a 20 round magazine (also in the pic) from a benchrest.
I was going to get the taller model, but after researching the issue here on AR15.com I decided on the shorter model, many thanks to this forum again!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:39:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By markm:
I won't wait for Wedge this time....

You should have bought a COLT!

Actually, I have heard many credible people, including Gunblast's Jeff Quinn, say this this is the most accurate .223 that they have ever fired. Check this out... www.gunblast.com/Bushmaster_Varminter.htm
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:43:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By hunt127588:
Let me start by saying I have always been and always will be a Leupold fan. However, I just bought a Varminter and put a new Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44 Matte (fine crosshair) on mine. I absolutely love this scope. It is maybe a tiny bit cheaper than a Leupold but I wanted something different and I'm glad I chose it. I did go with Leupold QRW rings though and have enjoyed them as well.

Scope:

www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=4&grp=16&productNr=6555

Rings:

www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/mounts_tactical.htm

Yeah, Nikon makes some excellent optics. As far as me buying a scope, they are the other big contender.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:48:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By AR15MadMan:
target shooting or hunting small game?

I would say both. I will be hunting cyotes this fall and winter, but squirrels are the smallest critters that I will be taking down. I pulled up in my driveway today and saw at least 8 or 9 squirrles in my front yard alone, I can't imagine the situation out in the country.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:04:26 PM EST
I have a Bushmaster Varminter and it is very accurate. I scoped it with a Zeiss Conqest 4x14, mil-dot reticle, with Leupold Mark 4 super high rings. This scope/ring combo works well. Especially the rings. I took off the Bushmaster risers that come with the rifle and the rings are just the right height for the 44mm scope. I paid $1017 drive out ( tax, shipping, everything) for the rifle. I am very happy with this set-up but one is not enough. Talk about fun to shoot! Now looking at RRA Varminter with 18"-20" barrel. Then maybe an A2 upper with 16" barrel. It's got to stop somewhere???

Good shooting.
Top Top