Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2008 5:32:50 PM EDT
Ive been reading this site for a while, and have found awesome stuff.  I have a 6 month old stag 2t with about 500 rounds through it, when I clean it, The locking lugs and chamber get this orange,brown,red liquid stain on it.  I clean them with a bore brush,brake cleaner,powder blast and lastly with clp and I still get this stain.  When its clean and I put it away it is fine, then an hour later this is what i get. Its only on certain areas.  Any ideas?

Thanks!!
http://i38.tinypic.com/rmlcfc.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/35845fo.jpg
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
i just recently started using the brake cleaner that is non chlorinated.  I'm going to shoot tomorrow am and maybe after I shoot Ill just use the powder blast and some clp see how it works.  Thanks for the fast reply!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
i dont have the gun in a dehumidified safe, its in a gun bag in the house but none of my other guns are doing it.  tonight i just used clp and a bore brush and i had this after i was done.  Ill just try and shoot it out LOL.  THanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Yikes.  I just bought two 2T uppers as well and I have the exact same problem, except I've only taken them to the range once! Have you called Stag?  I'm planning on calling them tomorrow.  My chamber and locking lugs look exactly like yours.

The chamber doesn't LOOK chrome lined.  Is it for sure?

What sort of ammo have you been firing?  I've been using PRVI PARTIZAN M193 and there is red paint around that primer.  Could that be the culprit?  Could this have something to do with copper in the bore brush or from the bullet?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
It looks to me like there is some assembly grease that is migrating out from between the barrel and barrel extension.  The lubricants and degreasers might be softenting this lube and allowing it to creep.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Dave,

Thanks for the insight.  Do you have a recommendation for how I could check your theory, and remedy the problem if this is the case?

Thanks,

Burns
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:23:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:36:37 AM EDT
[#10]
i plan on shooting this thing today.  Its about 30 degrees so we will see what happens after i shoot it and clean it this afternoon.  ive been shooting a mix of wolf steel case,remington,m193 brown box, and some priv partizan.  It cycles fine and has no other problems.  If you call stag post what they tell you im very very interested in finding out what the deal is seeing as I planned on ordering another upper from them.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]
To verify that it is grease, take a dry q-tip and see if it wipes off easily.  If it does, then it is likely grease and CLP.

Another thing to try is after cleaning with CLP, dry off all surfaces with q-tips––-especially around the crack where the barrel extension meets the barrel.  If the problem shows up again, but some what harder to remove, then it is likely a bit of rust forming.  If it does not show up at all, or is minimized, then it is likely grease.  If it seems reduced, then try lubing liberally with CLP and let it sit for an hour and see if the spots appear again.  If it shows up and is more promininate, then it is definately grease.

The only way to remove the grease––-though it does not present any real problems other than discoloration––is repeated soaking and drying with CLP.  Getting surfaces a bit hot––-like shooting it––-will help soften the grease and allow it to creep out of the crack.

If you determine that it is rust, then you will need to be more diligent in coating these surfaces with more CLP.  There is, then likely to be some underlying rust formation in the crystal structure of the steel.  This is most common with stainless steel that has had ordinary steel wool used to polish it.  The high carbon steel wool leaves particles imbedded in the stainless that start the rusting process.  A similar process might be going on here too.  But, keeping it well coated from air with CLP should stop this from happening.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#12]
i just sprayed clp all over the chamber and locking lugs.  I noticed while spraying it that there was a light gray runoff.  I have since coated it and noticed there is still some brown spots.  Again hopefully shooting it today will burn up and destroy all of the crap in there now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Well the spots don't wipe off easily so I suppose that means it isn't grease.  It is very tough to remove any of it.  I have another theory.  

JCA, you said you were going to shoot Prvi Partizan ammo today.  I have only been shooting Prvi Partizan M193 55 gr. ammo through mine.  Have you been shooting that same round?  

My Prvi Partizan has a bright perfect circle of red paint-looking substance around the primer.  I just inspected some spent brass and on three out of three spent cases the red substance was partially removed in the firing process.  Then I looked at my bolt carrier group right by the firing pin.  There are bits of the red paint substance around where the firing pin is exposed.  

My theory is that this red paint is mixing with residual CLP, Hoppes or manufacturing grease and that substance is staining the areas in question.  

Would you take a look at your Prvi Partizan and see if the same thing is true in your case?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#14]
well i put 300 rounds through it today. A mix of wolf,priv partizan,remington, and brown box 193 shot great tight groups.  Admiral i have the exact same thing around the primer on my priv partizan.  It left red flakes all over the gun.  It fired without a hiccup, but like you stated there are a ton of red pieces all over the inside of the gun.  

I still noticed the brown spot on the inside of the chamber,but it has diminished, I sprayed it with clp liberally and am going to see if the spots form again.  This is the first time ive shot priv partizan so I am scratching my head as to why all of a sudden my gun has the chicken pox. Will try and post pictures

http://i36.tinypic.com/nbzynk.jpg

sorry about the horrible pictures i cant get anything to host right.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#15]
If you hadn't shot the Prvi before today, that couldn't be the cause of the rusty colored spots.

I emailed Stag today and got a message back saying that they are taking up to 48 hours to answer emails because of the increase in business.  I'll let you know when I hear something back.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#16]
okay sounds good.  Id be very curious to know what the deal is.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
My friend has a Bushmaster that had the same rusty looking marks. They were exactly the same looking, and were in the same spots. He just assumed they were in fact rust and cleaned them off with a toothbrush and some oil. It took quite a bit of scrubbing though. He only shoots the brass cased Remington stuff, so if this is the same condition it may not be the ammo. I’ll be interested to see what you find out so I can tell my friend.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#18]
i shot the last of my wolf yesterday, and was a 50-50 split between it and priv partizan Seemed like it was easier to clean now, with the rust spots not as prevalent.  We will see Ill be shooting it this Saturday to see if it gets any better.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top