Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/4/2004 5:32:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 5:34:50 PM EDT by mx-2]
I'm such a bumbass!! While messing with my dad's AR tonight I tried getting the A2 stock off the receiver and replace it with a fixed collapsible, but after half hour of trying I weren't able unscrew the tube off. I finally gave up on it. During the dissembly I took the spring and buffer out of the stock tube. Also I pressed the hammer down from the up position inorder to have a better clearence for the buffer to come out. While assembling the upper back on the receiver I forgot to put the spring and buffer back in as well as get the hammer back to the up position like before. I went ahead and pulled the bolt carrier back and realized I forgot the spring and buffer. Now the bolt is assembly is locked back and I can't get the upper off the lower (even when rear receiver pin is removed). I was able to move from safe to fire position, load and unload mag, but neither the bolt could move forward nor separate upper form lower.

Could someone tell me how to get this rifle to function again? Any help is appreciated!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:47:30 PM EDT
Does the bolt move around in the tube or is it stuck in one place?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:48:06 PM EDT
Bang it, barrel end, on the floor. Should knock the bolt carrier forward. Otherwise, get yourself a good strap wrench and get the extension tube off and work it forward manually. If the bolt is stuck back you should also be able to stick your finger in the ejection port and manually move the hammer down so the bolt can move forward.

Happens to the best of'em. Just not me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 5:52:15 PM EDT by mongo001]
That's where I was headed also.

If bolt is stuck rearward, the safest way is to remove the buffer tube. Carefully secure the lower in a vice, use softeners, like rags to protect the finish. Use the proper sized wrench if the tube has a flat or strap wrench as mentioned above and remove the buffer tube. Reassemble correctly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:51:22 PM EDT
Sounds like it's jammed in there pretty good.
Try holding the rifle muzzle down in one hand while tapping the buttplate with a rubber mallet.
If that won't jar it loose, you'll have to take off the buttstock and buffer tube.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:57:09 PM EDT
Let us know how bad your dad kicks your ass for messing with his hardware.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 5:58:19 PM EDT by mongo001]
I've been IMing him, he got it unstuck. Not sure what condition his ass is in, though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:00:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 6:01:20 PM EDT by mx-2]
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE FAST REPLY! I WAS ABLE TO GET THE BOLT TO DROP AFTER BANGING THE BARREL ON THE FLOOR. SPRING AND BUFFER ARE BACK IN, I GOTS REMIND MYSELF NOT TO BE SO CARELESS NEXT TIME. THIS IS A BUSHY M4 MODEL I JUST GOT FOR DAD. HE SHOULD BE HOME ANY MOMENT NOW, I HATE TO RUIN THE SUPRISE FOR HIM. WE MIGHT GO OUT TO THE RANGE TONIGHT TO TEST HIS NEW TOY OUT!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:01:38 PM EDT
That's why these forums are here. Good luck with your Dad's new rifle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:04:41 PM EDT
Hey, where's my pie bitch!!! My idea was the one that got it unstuck. Pie damn you!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:12:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
Let us know how bad your dad kicks your ass for messing with his hardware.

Originally Posted By mx-2:
I WAS ABLE TO GET THE BOLT TO DROP AFTER BANGING THE BARREL ON THE FLOOR.

Now let's see how bad your dad kicks your ass for messing up the crown of the barrel.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:51:09 PM EDT
Could have taken off the stock and hopefully have a piece of metal or plastic that is rigid enough and small enough to fit in the drain hole to push the carrier forward.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 7:56:18 PM EDT by mx-2]
Nahhh... I banged it against the carpet. I bought this AR for my father so he and I can gamble 10% of our payment check at the shooting range ever other week winner takes all. Mine is in the shop right now getting a face lift. The gunsmith forgot to take off the pastic trigger guard when the gun was bake after the teflon finished, now his waiting for the replacement trigger guard to come in. Damn I missed my gun!!!

Thanks pathfinder for that helpful tip!
Top Top