Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2011 7:41:04 PM EDT
I was removing my receiver end plate for the first time and didn't do it quite right.  The detent spring for the pivot pin got caught between the receiver and the end plate when I was twisting the buffer tube and I mangled the end part of the spring.  I had to break that portion off - it was only the first 4 or 5 of those tiny little coils.  The end result is that the pivot pin still stays in, but I can tell it doesn't have the tension that it once had.

Is there any urgent need for me to replace this spring?  (I.e., before I take it out shooting)?
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I was removing my receiver end plate for the first time and didn't do it quite right. The detent spring for the pivot pin got caught between the receiver and the end plate when I was twisting the buffer tube and I mangled the end part of the spring. I had to break that portion off - it was only the first 4 or 5 of those tiny little coils. The end result is that the pivot pin still stays in, but I can tell it doesn't have the tension that it once had.

Is there any urgent need for me to replace this spring? (I.e., before I take it out shooting)?

Urgent, no but it should be replaced.

Just throw one on the next order. Maybe buying a extro LPK might be a good idea.

If you dont plan on fixing it, you always can add a piece of wire/coat hanger to the back end to make up the space

or better yet tap the hole 4-40 and add a set screw since you already have the spring cut, a la quarterbore mod

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You can use a spring from a BIC lighter.
Until you get a replacement
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a spring from an old zippo lighter I had, works great, just the right size.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top