Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2011 4:39:04 PM EDT
A buddy of mine wants to build a retro rifle. He neither listens to my advice, nor does he care to research arfcom. He wanted an A1 clone similar to what his dad would have carried in vietnam. He did not believe me when I told him which lower and upper style to buy, so he's essentially building a Colt SP1 clone. Again, he would not believe me when I said you can get them for under 1500 dollars (I've seen them as low as 900 on gun broker).

So, he bought a nodak spud 601 lower and has been buying small parts here and there.

Well, he told me about this ugly deformed stock he intended to paint black. He said it had some pukey green paint on top of some ugly rust color, and that it looked horrible and that he intended to paint it black. He said it must be a cheap off brand because it cost him 10 bucks at the gun show.

So, after a long talking to about what the Colt 601 is, and how much of a dumb ass he is, he agreed not to paint it. I even offered to buy him a more correct stock to trade (he didn't go for that).

But yeah, it looks like I saved a vintage Colt 601 stock from sure destruction. Figured yall might know. I may try and convince him  to put it in the EE so he can get what he wants while getting that stock to someone who would take good care of it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice save. Well done!
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
tell him hes a douche and slap him upside the head until he listens.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd take good care of it.  What kinda stock does he want?  Nice save.  Seems like when you do find the 601 stuff at funshows it's never overpriced.  Sounds like he did good also.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If it were real you should have offerd him a Chrome BCG for it ...
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it were real you should have offerd him a Chrome BCG for it ...

I would have gave him the best black stock I had with a bill taped to it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'd take good care of it.  What kinda stock does he want?  Nice save.  Seems like when you do find the 601 stuff at funshows it's never overpriced.  Sounds like he did good also.

10 bucks in a junk bin.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Should of doubled his money & make him think he got a good deal for it if he had no interest in the historical aspect of the stock, then tell him all about it after wards.

Type A or Type B?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
tell him hes a douche and slap him upside the head until he listens.

Exactly...

Go back, and confiscate that piece of history.  Tell him stupid people aren't allowed to own rare things because they're fing stupid and they'll destroy history...
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Should of doubled his money & make him think he got a good deal for it if he had no interest in the historical aspect of the stock, then tell him all about it after wards.

Type A or Type B?

This I don't know. I haven't actually seen it. I sent him pictures from Ekie's thread.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Well...If he won't trade, why don't you try offering him a fair price?

Or, cut him a deal.  Tell him you'll pay him 1/2 of the value of the stock and give him a good condition, appropriate replacement in trade.

If that doesn't work, tell him you know a group of guys who will pay him top dollar for it, offer to handle the transaction for him, and explain that he can use the funds for putting together the complete rifle he wants.  I mean, what, that thing has to be worth $100+?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Few of the replies are a little overboard. Everybody was ignorant, stupid or what ever you want to say to the identity or value of certain Retro items at one time.

After re-reading the OP's original post, I'm gonna bet it is a Type A since he said it was "deformed". Just a guess.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well...If he won't trade, why don't you try offering him a fair price?

Or, cut him a deal.  Tell him you'll pay him 1/2 of the value of the stock and give him a good condition, appropriate replacement in trade.

If that doesn't work, tell him you know a group of guys who will pay him top dollar for it, offer to handle the transaction for him, and explain that he can use the funds for putting together the complete rifle he wants.  I mean, what, that thing has to be worth $100+?
At this time I have no intention of building a 601. I just can't afford it. I will definitely try and get him to put it in the EE. I'd like to give you guys a crack at it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]
this comes to mind
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I will definitely try and get him to put it in the EE. I'd like to give you guys a crack at it.

That's the kind of crack I like!

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I went to gunsmith school with a guy who took a REALLY nice former Nazi early Israeli 98k and cut it up to make a shitty sporter. I tried and tried to talk him out of it even offering to give him a better condition Yugo or another German barreled action. He didn't go for it, cut it up anyway and tried to sell me the "parts kit" for like $200. I told him he was a dumbass. This is the same guy who decided that he wanted to do a 10-12" SBR on a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Even with the hard figures and showing him what a 7.62x39 pistol looks like at night I couldn't persuade him that the same gun or a 92 would have been much better in .357 or .44. Some peoples' kid huh?

I'm glad you save this one though but don't be surprised if you go to his house ad find it sanded with 80grit and coated with bed liner. People like this really can be stubborn and logic seems to fade quickly. I don't want to say too stupid to live, but they really should have to have someone else there to sign off on every decision they make... for the children.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will definitely try and get him to put it in the EE. I'd like to give you guys a crack at it.

I like crack too
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ohhh man...Somebody please gag me before I take the "crack" ball and run with it...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#19]
You should have told him you're building a beater and gave him five bucks for it.  Maybe he would have gone for that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I once knew a guy who wanted a M1911 style .45 automatic .  He wanted to "shoot the shit out of it".  Well he stumbled upon a mutual acquaintance that had a rebuilt 1915 made Springfield Armory (the real one) pistol.  The dude wanted $600  for it.  So this guy decides to buy it and add some tacticool stuff to it.  I took me awhile but I finally convinced him that this old pistol would not hold up to his type of "shooting".  I traded him a one year old Springfield Armory Inc. pistol for it.  I thought then that I made a good deal...still do.
Ralph
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You should have told him you're building a beater and gave him five bucks for it.  Maybe he would have gone for that.

Probably.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top