Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2011 9:04:09 AM EDT
I can not decide so I that I would ask the optic pros who have run the RMR or T-1 as an offset? For those who tried both which was your preference and why?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't own either but had the chance to try both (albiet it a primary arms dot and a burris fast fire).

I prefered the open style red dot to the tube style, for me, when i rotated the guns I still had a big ol' scope hanging in front of my face, just canted over, and it made 2 eyes open kinda hard for me with so much going on in front of my face, so i quickly found myself looking "thru the tube" on the micro dot, with the open fast fire it was felt like i could keep a larger FOV.

Just my 2cents from playing at the range, in no way shape or form have I tried either under stress and only played with each about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the Aimpoint T1 in a La Rue mount and call it a day. Better yet save yourself a few bucks and get the H1 instead and you will be good!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go with a T-1 on a DD offset mount from AIM
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my T-1 in a Larue offset mount. Mighty expensive though.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the exact setup in the picture above.  It is the best possible setup for a rifle in my opinion.  

1.  You need the T1 for fast moving targets up close.  You can use your ACOG up close effectively on stationary targets.  However, moving targets up close are better engaged with the T1.

2.  This setup is superior to a 1-4X scope because the transition from magnified to non-magnified sights is instant and hands free.  If you have done any hunting with a 1-4X scope where your target can show up anywhere, you will see how ridiculous it is to constantly be dialing up and down the power on the scope.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input and great pictures. It sounds like the T1/H1 is the way to go.I was looking to save a few ounces with the RMR but had reservations on battery life and having to remove the RMR from the mount to replace the battery.  Any defenders of the RMR?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#7]
ACOG/RMR all the way

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Great Pics and nice set up all around.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the T1 would be a bit heavy and large for a back-up RD, however, it's larger glass might help you find the dot with the non-conventional view.  
IF the RMRs battery lasted a bit longer and could be changed without being removed, I'd definitely consider it as a primary instead of a T1 or Eotech...but as a backup, those issues wouldn't be a problem––I'd leave it covered with a scopecoat 99% of the time except when I took it to the range.  Then change the battery every year or two (from what I've heard, the zero doesn't move much if at all after replacing batteries––at least on the Glock mounted RMRs that seems to be the case).

As a backup, I'd care more about weight and size––as long as I tried it out and could acquire the dot easily.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 4:43:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Dual illumination RMRs require no battery thus they never need replacing nor never need to be turned on. They're always ready to go when the need arises. IMHO there's nothing faster. I also have a T1 mounted on another rig and to me the RMR allows a better fov.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dual illumination RMRs require no battery thus they never need replacing nor never need to be turned on. They're always ready to go when the need arises. IMHO there's nothing faster. I also have a T1 mounted on another rig and to me the RMR allows a better fov.

JTadam24, Can you tell with your dual illuminated have you had dot washout? I heard that shooting from a dark room to a more lighted area or using a weapon light in a dark room can cause washout. Is it bad -any problems? Based on this internet comments I was leaning towards a adjustable led rmr. So the RMR has a lighter weight and a better FOV are there any other differences to comment on? Last question, do you recommend a 7moa dot or approx 4moa dot?
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#12]
The Larue mount is far superior to the others.  You have to rotate your rifle less.  A 45 degree rotation is too much.  

Battery life is a non issue.  The T1 will last for years.  YEARS.  Just leave the sight on and change your battery every 5 years.  

The T1 is proven and durable.  You can adjust zero without moving it.  And, the range of intensities on the dot is unmatched.  

P.S.  If you have an TA11 ACOG plus a mini red dot, you don't need back up irons.  It starts to get kind of silly when you think about it.  Many, many other things will go wrong to get you killed before you need to transition to your third sighting system.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

JTadam24, Can you tell with your dual illuminated have you had dot washout? I heard that shooting from a dark room to a more lighted area or using a weapon light in a dark room can cause washout. Is it bad -any problems? Based on this internet comments I was leaning towards a adjustable led rmr. So the RMR has a lighter weight and a better FOV are there any other differences to comment on? Last question, do you recommend a 7moa dot or approx 4moa dot?

It's not as bright as my T1 but I still chose it if that says anything
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top