Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/17/2003 3:24:05 PM EDT
If you came into this thread to help me learn some things, thank you very much. As some of you know I have a colt ar-15. In another thread about accuracy srkwixdraw10-8 pointed out the leade issue with me. How it is longer with 5.56 than the .223 rem. I didn't know what he was talking about so I didn't say anything about it. I knew there was a difference in chambers but I didn't technically understand. Now I think I do thanks again to the ammo-oracle. But it raised a bunch of questions to me. Maybe you guys can help.

If black hills is loaded in nato brass they must trim back the length of the cartidge a tad to consider it saami or do they keep the nato brass the same?? Because obviously they don't call it 5.56 they call it .223. I really don't understand because alot of guys with bolt guns shoot the black hills.

If you reload can you duplicate 5.56 properly? I don't normally see 5.56 equipment for reloading? (I'm pretty ignorant about it thus far because I've never done it).

How come there isn't commercially loaded match ammo with 5.56 specs? It seems to me it's all .223 remington. Actually, I do know about the black hills 77 grain stuff that is 5.56 but it's the first of it's kind, right? While we're on that does anyone know how I can get it in a smaller quantity? I'm not ready to drop $300 for half a case.

I guess I'll have to buy some 5.56 now to see how it shoots. I passed up on some imi m855 at a gun show because it seemed expensive. Wouldn't it be nice if there was more bullet choices for 5.56 already loaded?

thank you all for your help.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:44:29 PM EDT
You may have jumped off the deep end regarding 223 and 5.56 Nato and what works best. Think of it this way, 5.56 Nato is loaded hotter with the idea of pushing the round as fast as possible (read hot), and 223 keeping the limits loaded lighter, but being more accurate. If your looking for a hot Nato round, xm-193 if hard to beat, but if your looking to keep the groups tighter, load down and find the load that sings in the rifle due to barrel harmonics. Bottom line is I have a few target rifles that will run Nato ammo. When feed their own special reloaded match ammo, they will print at/under 1 MOA, but given XM-193, the group opens up over 2". Faster ammo is great when the target is 18” wide, but for keeping the group in the X’s, think lighter loaded worked up in speed until the barrel/rifle gets happy and puts them in the same hole.
Top Top