Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 4:48:03 PM EDT
I have a Bushy 16" M4 upper w/ a Wilson brake on the end.  It appears that the thing is screwed on and then set in place, but I'm not positive.  I mean, there doesn't seem like it could be retained in any ohter fashion due to the fact there are no pins, etc.  It just looks like a washer that would normally be used with a normal FH.

Anyhow, got any ideas how to get this sucker off?  Torch it and then wrench the little bastard off?  

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Not quite sure if I understand...

Can you point it out?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Normally on the left "Here", on the flat of the flash suppressor/brake
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
So, basically, I just have to cut and grind w/ my Dremel until I notice what looks like a pin in there?  

What purpose does this pin serve?  Is it just in there touching the threads?  If I heat it up and twist, will I end up stripping the threads off my barrel?  Is that the problem here?

So, cut, grind, and hope the pin "falls" out?  Or will I need to drill it out?

Damn post-ban crap!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, got to use a dremel cutting wheel till you can remove the pins.  If you leave even just one pin there and start twisting it off, it will strip the surface of the threads.  I did this once, Kisara helped me remove one of the pins but the other one was still in there, just kind of loose.  I started twisting it off, there was friction and it made muzzle device kind of hot, but it came off. The threads are a bit stripped but after screwing on a flash suppressor on and off couple of times they're fine.  If you have the patience I'd suggest you remove both of them, I don't care about a little wear on the threads but I'm callous that way

I removed two blind pinned and welded muzzle device twice, one of them had one pin, the other had two.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not quite sure if I understand...

webpages.charter.net/usmcsilver/images/brake.jpg

Can you point it out?

Can you see under the first 'HERE' where it looks a little discolored?  That is where the pin is.  Look for that spot on your muzzle device.  The hole for the pin will be slightly below the threads so if you 'Hulk' it out, you'll screw up the threads/end of the barrel.  Use a needle nose pliars to try and pull the pin when you have dremeled enough out of the way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
For future reference, I thought I'd share my experiance about this damned brake...

The thing had one "pin" holding it on, but it was far from being a simple "pin" -- it was a set screw.  I managed to Dremel around the thing enough to get it off.  It took about 1 hr.  Some of that time was spent exploring the rest of the thing to make sure there were no more screws.  I knew I had the right side though because the cut-off wheel "sparked" differently.  

I basically had to cut a square around the thing and get it wiggling and then twist it out.  It was a pain in the ass to say the least, but, now I have my A2 FH on.  Gonna be getting either a Phantom or Vortex soon.  

Here's a "post-op" pic:

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, had I seen that it was a Wilson Combat brake, I could have given you a pic of a new one.  Good job on that one, though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#9]
For the similar looking Cav Comp, the pin is on the curved part on bottom, not the flat.  And it is a small roll pin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top