Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/27/2004 12:08:03 PM EST
Hello, I have bought an Bushmaser AR15. This is my first AR15. I have not shot it yet.

But I have putt manually a empty case in the chamber. Released the bolt.

Now the problem it is stuck!!

The round will not come out. I can not putt the rifle on safe and I can not take the upper reciever off. Pulling the charging handle will not help.

Please help me.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:12:53 PM EST
When you pull the charging handle to the rear, does the bolt/carrier retract or does it stay stuck forward?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:14:53 PM EST
I can pull it back a little bit. But only the big part moves. The rest remains in the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:23:01 PM EST
Put on some gloves.

Orient the rifle vertically, with the muzzle up. Dominant hand pulls back on the charging handle, other hand on the handguards. As you're pulling on the chaging handle, SLAM the buttstock into the ground with your other hand.

Don't be shy, treat your gun like the tool it is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:56:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 1:00:02 PM EST by Tex78]
LOL!

(sorry)

Just for future reference, empty fired cases have been exposed to extreme chamber pressures (+40,000 psi IIRC), and will be blown out to fill the chamber they were last fired in. Not to mention the deformation that can occur as that now possibly oversized case is violently ripped out of its comfy hole, banged against the brass deflector and hurled into the spotting scope sitting beside you that you KNOW you told your friend NOT to leave there.

So, chambering such rounds are not such a good idea, unless they have been cleaned up and resized. (maybe more to it that, as I'm not a reloader myself)

Of course, I wish I could say this without having had to learn this from personal experience myself.....

Tex78
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:01:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By Not_A_Llama:
Put on some gloves.

Orient the rifle vertically, with the muzzle up. Dominant hand pulls back on the charging handle, other hand on the handguards. As you're pulling on the chaging handle, SLAM the buttstock into the ground with your other hand.

This is the correct answer
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:14:35 PM EST

Put on some gloves.

I'm going to advise against this.

A few years ago I was with a group of people who went on a 'field trip' to a range and one of them was an attractive young woman who brought her brand new Dissy along to learn how to shoot it. (yeah, I know) Anyway, the guy giving everybody the safety briefing was showing how to operate the Dissy and wanted to demonstrate the use of the forward assist so he grabbed a spent casing out of his range bag and proceded to lock it up tight as can be. When we finally got the casing out we saw that the casing had split after being resized to the Dissy's chamber without any lube. The chrome lined chamber was totally unaffected but when we went out on the range it was having some serious reliabilty issues because several guys attempted to demonstrate their manliness by doing all sorts of brute force attempts at clearing the stuck casing. So much brute force that they bent the nose of the charging handle and it was binding against th top of the bolt carrier. These guys were so busy trying to impress eachother and her with their knowledge that one of them even started 'field stripping' it by removing the handguards and detachable carry handle as if that would help get the casing out.

The casing was removed by seperating the upper and lower (you'll have to work at it to get the carrier to clear the hammer and the bolt stop but it will slide out and to the front) then just insert a flat-head between the end of the bolt carrier and the end of the barrel extension and slowly pry them apart. once it's loose the carrier will come right out and you can put it all back together.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:18:47 PM EST
I had the same thing happen when I fired a pulled bullet case I had to jam a cleaning rod down the barrel to get it unstuck
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:24:22 PM EST
I'd vote for the cleaning rod suggestion. Had a failure to extract a empty casing, and had to put the cleaning rod down the bbl and tap on it, should push out your empty case. DOn't worry, I'm sure more than a few of us have done the same thing in the past.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:19:12 AM EST
OK, I'm curious.............Did the spent shell get removed? HOW? Damage report?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:53:10 AM EST

Put on some gloves.

This is the fast way to clear a stuck case. As Hoplophile points out, there's a possibility that your rifle will end up needing new parts afterwards. I've wondered how well a cast lower will stand up to this kind of treatment. Of course, if you're being shot at and your rifle jams, being able to return fire in short order with a damaged but servicable weapon is much more important than maintaining your weapon's appearance. But this is a primarily civilian forum, how many of us have actually been shot at?

Originally Posted By Hoplophile:
I'm going to advise against this.

The casing was removed by seperating the upper and lower (you'll have to work at it to get the carrier to clear the hammer and the bolt stop but it will slide out and to the front) then just insert a flat-head between the end of the bolt carrier and the end of the barrel extension and slowly pry them apart. once it's loose the carrier will come right out and you can put it all back together.

You'll have to remove both takedown pins, lift up the front end first, then slide the upper forward off of the lower. The bolt carrier will still be inside of the buffer tube, so you won't be able to just take out the back pin and flip up the rear of the upper .

If you don't feel like taking the rifle apart, find a nice strong piece of hardwood and jam it between the bolt carrier and the front of the ejection port. Pry back on the bolt carrier there. Just don't use a metal screwdriver like this, you'll at least gank the finish around the ejection port, and you might end up denting it well. This is a lesson I learned after I'd put my first AR together and the cosmolene all over the bolt, bolt carrier, and inside of the upper receiver caused the bolt to hang up on ejection.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:55:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 10:59:17 AM EST by El_Roto]
[Mr. Rogers] Can you say "Snap Caps" ? I knew you could. [/Mr. Rogers]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:01:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By Forest:

Put on some gloves.

+1 this is the easiest and fastest way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:05:09 AM EST
sounds like a nice tight extractor...breaking your rifle in is gonna be a bitch. I had the same problem with my Eagle Arms. Anyway get yourself a cleaning rod and something to beat it with. Then procees to beat the ever living crap outta the rod. Eventually enough space will open up that you can get a pair of pliers in and use them the reverse way (stick them in closed and open) to pry the bolt away from the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:34:28 AM EST
Doesn't Bushmaster still send a manual that has what seems to be 5 million possible problems and corrective actions in it?

Use the cleaning rod technique or when I had this happen at the range with some Wolf "Performance" Ammo, I racked the charging handle over the shooting bench to get it the stuck case out.

You got to be a man with that rifle.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:37:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By drobs:
You got to be a man with that rifle.

Exactly, the damn things are not made out of porcelin (i know I probably misspelled that but I dont care) They are made to have the shit beat out of them, unless it is a vulcan arms, then your screwed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:44:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:46:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:50:57 AM EST
LOLOL! I did the SAME THING yesterday, put an empty shell in there. The bolt got jammed! I just banged the butt of the gun at the table for a couple times then yanked back on the charging handle and POP came out the shell.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:20:54 PM EST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted By Forest:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put on some gloves.

+2
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:54:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:06:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 1:07:21 PM EST by DM1975]

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Is this the clearing drill known as "Tap, rack, bang", or close to it? (The full version includes loading a live round after clearing the jam, and then firing it, of course.)

CJ

No... Tap Rack Bang is to;

Tap... tap the bottom of the magazine to make sure it is seated
Rack... Rack the charging handle to the rear
Bang... shoot the damn thing

Also known as immediate action
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:00:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By DM1975:

Is this the clearing drill known as "Tap, rack, bang", or close to it? (The full version includes loading a live round after clearing the jam, and then firing it, of course.)

CJ

If you mean SPORTS, you are missing a few steps. Anybody that has been in the Army ought to know what SPORTS stands for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:02:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 6:02:52 PM EST by DM1975]

Originally Posted By drobs:

CJ

If you mean SPORTS, you are missing a few steps. Anybody that has been in the Army ought to know what SPORTS stands for.

SPORTS is remedial action there high speed... Tap, Rack, Bang is immediate action... That be Marine Corps shit...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:10:50 PM EST
And sports stands for what?

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:20:12 PM EST
slap magazine, pull charging handle to rear, observe chamber, release, tap FA, shoot... any more questions?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:00:04 AM EST
I got the shell out.

I have used a cleaning rod to get it out. I think that the bolt was not locked up. Because I pulled it and at the same time I used the cleaning rod to punch it out .

I think that the shell was not that stuck.

But I would really like to thank all of you for helping me. I could not have fixed it without your help.

I will post some pictures soon. It is a Post ban Bushmaster A3 with a 20 inch barrel made 2001.
It has a bajonet lug and a flashhider.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:00:08 AM EST

slap magazine, pull charging handle to rear, observe chamber, release, tap FA, shoot... any more questions?

Just checking.

What's your 1st Genral Order?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:10:16 PM EST
Take charge of this post and all government property in view.

Semper Fi
Top Top