BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2006 8:11:30 PM EDT
installing that front pivot pin with no tools

IS NOT HUMANLY FUCKING POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

argh.. the frustration.

anybody know how the hell im supposed to do this??
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
amateur
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Get another set of hands in there to help.  My best friend helped me build my first rifle last month and we got it in without and tools.  It took a few tries but we got it.  Recruit a buddy....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep did mine today... no tools.  Took awhile though waiting for that new detent to come in to replace the first one though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i use a small punch to hold the detent and spring down until i can use a hex key (allen wrench) through the holes to hold it down.  then i push the pivot pin into place.

tough to visualize, but simple to do after the first time.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I installed the spring then used small needle nose pliers to push the detent partially into the hole.
After that a one sided razor blade held it in the hole with enough clearance to install the pin.
It worked for me on both of my lowers.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
hah! i am the most amazing man in the world.

thanks for the hex-tip.. worked on the 3rd try!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
glad i could help.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]
it is possible just wear eye protection.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

IS NOT HUMANLY FUCKING POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

argh.. the frustration.

anybody know how the hell im supposed to do this??

Oh my God, I must not be human!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]
ok..

can somebody explain this to those of us that rode the short bus to school?

i dont know what im supposed to do with that spring..
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
that bad boy goes inside the retractible stock tube
i dont know the scientific name for it :P
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ok..

home.no/ldom/Picture%206.jpg

your joking right.??  if not then please put the gun down and sell it immediatly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
that bad boy goes inside the retractible stock tube
i dont know the scientific name for it :P

lol,  buffer and buffer spring go in the buffer tube
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#14]
of course i know where it goes, i just wasnt sure how its fastened in there.. first time ar-builder, have some patience.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#15]
there is a little detent that is held in with the buffer tube and that keeps the spring and buffer in the tube

eta: it kinda has a "nipple" on the top of it
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
there is a little detent that is held in with the buffer tube and that keeps the spring and buffer in the tube

eta: it kinda has a "nipple" on the top of it

And the detent fits inside the hole in the threaded part of the lower where the buffer tube threads into. Don't forget the spring too. It's called the buffer retainer and buffer retainer spring. Here's a pic.

This is where it goes.

Read This thread before you do anything more.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
ok..

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ok..

That's some funny shit right there.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Pivot pin shortcut that works

Take and lightly lube the spring and insert it into the recess where it lives relaxed, view closely how many coils are exposed outside of the lower.

Take the spring back out and cut the spring with a pair of micro cutters by sandvick, model #8150 at the point where the spring was exposed outside of the lower and it will relieve excess pressure to set your lower detent pin.

You do need a pair of safety glasses and do it where no one will be hit by the flying piece of spring you remove. The detent will still function just fine and far more better than fighting it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a tool whore.

No muss no fuss and no crawling around on all fours looking for a detent, after you have not done one in a while.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#21]
use a razer blade.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
use a razer blade.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Check out  Falarak's lower assembly instructions with pics, it is tacked at the beginning of this section.  It is excellent!!!

Chris
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm a tool whore.

www.bravocompanyusa.com/images/Img404.gif

No muss no fuss and no crawling around on all fours looking for a detent, after you have not done one in a while.

Right on. Why screw around? The correct tool is cheap enough, even though you could make your own if you were so inclined. The tool makes it look like you know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I made a tool for this. Take a front wheel skewer (bicycle part) and remove the camming part. cut the rod in half, grind the remaining  rod  tip at a 45 degree angle. Fits perfectly. Rotate the tool to hold the spring in while inserting the pin. Slick and easy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I have two of the "professional" installation tools...I never use them.  It is quicker and easier using a razor blade once you do it once or twice.  P.S.  If the detent flys out while trying to install, it will almost always end up under the refridgerator.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I own two of the "professional" installation tools, but I still use a razor blade, it is easier and quicker once you figure it out.  P.S. if the detent ever flys out during installation, it will almost always end up under the refridgerator (yes, even if you were in the garage).
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

argh.. the frustration.

And then when you finally get it in place, you discover that you installed the rear takedown pin in the front pivot pin hole by mistake!  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#29]
confirming that this is correct:

?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a tool whore.

www.bravocompanyusa.com/images/Img404.gif

Right on. Why screw around? The correct tool is cheap enough, even though you could make your own if you were so inclined. The tool makes it look like you know what you're doing.

Made mine in the machine shop at work out of scrap.  More tales of  the W.E.C.S.O.G. !
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
home.no/ldom/Picture%20007.jpg

?

What the hell is that?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#32]
doorknob?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
doorknob?

Looks like he's hooking it up to some sort of belt and roller system.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

What the hell is that?

extended take down pin
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Macro mode, learn it, use it, love it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#36]
The f*cked up pin notwithstanding, it doesn't look like your buffer tube is threaded in enough
to hold the detent in place. The buffer does NOT hold it there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Ghostring is right. Your buffer tube does not appear to be screwed in far enough.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The f*cked up pin notwithstanding, it doesn't look like your buffer tube is threaded in enough
to hold the detent in place. The buffer does NOT hold it there.

what he said ^
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ok..

That's some funny shit right there.  

OH MAN
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I made a tool for this. Take a front wheel skewer (bicycle part) and remove the camming part. cut the rod in half, grind the remaining  rod  tip at a 45 degree angle. Fits perfectly. Rotate the tool to hold the spring in while inserting the pin. Slick and easy.

Spoke?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:00:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I trim the spring....I know it's not "professional", but you can't see it anyhow, or tell the difference.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#42]
When I installed my DD ambi plate for my ASP sling, I used my thumbnail to hold the detent in place when replacing the buffer spring.  Any fingernail will work, but you can custom modify any of yours to any spec that fits you comfortably.  If you have problems with yours, recruit your wife or teenage daughter and have 'em put those custom painted jobs to work.  That will partially justify the money they spent on them.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:03:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I installed the spring then used small needle nose pliers to push the detent partially into the hole.
After that a one sided razor blade held it in the hole with enough clearance to install the pin.
It worked for me on both of my lowers.

Chris

This is what I did on mine. It works.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:09:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

?

Yes it is.

and it also confirms Stickman's status remains intact
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

Yes it is.

The take down pin my be OK but it looks to me like the buffer is holding the detent not the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

Yes it is.

Looks wrong to me,Remove buffer and spring.Loosen buffer tube,push buffer stop/pin down into hole,screw buffer tube in until it touches small pin of buffer stop/pin,back buffer tube out until plate lines up,retighten.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#47]
First attempt at the spring I thought "this won't be that hard I'll just push on it with this eyeglass scredriver an put it in."  After finally picking the detent back out of the carpet my subsequent attempts at it were performed inside a big ziplock baggie.  It shot a few more times, but it was always inside the bag.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#48]
ROFL!!

These dang black guns have all kinds of hidden sprangs and thangs that pop out and fly who knows where when ya fool with em.

Join the club....I've spent a bit of time searching for mine as well!!

h.gif
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

?

I have to agree....it looks as if the buffer tube needs to be threaded in a bit more, although the pic is a bit out of focus so it's hard to tell.  I just found out today at the range that after I installed my new sling mount, I failed to screw the buffer tube in far enuff to cover the detent.  Gun wouldn't fire, then I realized when opened the receiver, (and almost lost the detent and spring) that something was amiss.

I came home, checked the link to Building your own AR-15 on this site, and saw the photo that showed the buffer tube covering the detent.  Thanks for a great how-to with awesome pics!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Amateurs.

The ONLY tool you need to install the front pivot pin comes with your lower parts kit.

You use the buffer spring retainer pin to capture the front detent.  Ever notice the OD of the buffer spring retainer pin is exactly the same as the ID of the hole for the front pivot pin?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top