Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2005 11:50:52 AM EDT
I just got news that I'm being deployed to Maui, and I'd like to know if my personal semi-automatic M4-configuration carbine is legal in Hawaii.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I got this from a Hawaii govt website:

HRS 134-3:  Registration, mandatory, exceptions

Every person arriving in the state who brings or by any other manner causes to be brought into the state a firearm of any description, whether usable or unusable, serviceable or unserviceable, modern or antique, shall register the firearm within 72 hours (three days) after arrival of the person or firearm, whichever arrives later.

If you're M-4 is semi auto and barrel not shorter than 16", you should be fine. I'm from Hawaii, lived there for 20 years, we have strict gun laws but people still go hunting and target shooting and stuff. Hope I helped
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
AR magazines which can hold more than 10 rounds are illegal to have here in Hawaii.  But unofficialy, it is not a law that is enforced.  So when you go and register it, don't show your high cap mags.

We have a stupid law that states that any magazine that can fit into a pistol is limited to 10 rounds.  As there are AR pistols in existance, the AR mag can be considered a pistol magazine and prohibited under that law.  On record it is a misdemeanor to posess a pistol mag with a capacity greater than 10 rounds, and a felony if it is inserted in a pistol.  So hear lies the debate, as AR pistols are not legal in Hawaii, you can't have both anyway.  That law is also commonly known to not be enforced.  So some would consider it to be safe to posess high capacity magazines.

It is up to the police officer who you encounter if he/she is going to press that charge or not...most likely not.  I personaly intend to use my firearms for home defence, and not willing to take that chance.  In court, it will be just one more thing that will be brought up against me.  However minor it is, it is still more crap to deal with.  The Hawaiii Rifle Association will be publishing a reasponse to the AR high cap ruling in their next issue.

I know of one person who owns a AR pistol in Hawaii and if you'r einterested in shooting it, come to the Shooting Sports Fair the HRA is hosting on Oahu.

We do have a hometown forum (shared with Alaska).  Check it out for more info.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Its legal as long as you still believe in the Constitution as the law of the land.  

Sorry, I know thats not much help.

My brother got stationed in California, they make exceptions to their stupid laws for military.  You just have to put in for some paper-work or something.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

We do have a hometown forum (shared with Alaska).

...for sure Hawaii and Alaska are so close to each other....u guys can go shooting together
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Every person arriving in the state who brings or by any other manner causes to be brought into the state a firearm of any description, whether usable or unusable, serviceable or unserviceable, modern or antique, shall register the firearm within 72 hours (three days) after arrival of the person or firearm, whichever arrives later.

if you move to hawaii, you have to "register" your guns?  register them with who?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you move to hawaii, you have to "register" your guns?  register them with who?

The Police Department.  You should see the hoops we have to jump to own a handgun....crazy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Police Department.  You should see the hoops we have to jump to own a handgun....crazy.

that is bordering on oppressive
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We do have a hometown forum (shared with Alaska).

...for sure Hawaii and Alaska are so close to each other....u guys can go shooting together

Just another large island to the East of us.

Sharing a forum with another state with almost nothing in common with us kinda sucks, but at least we finally got one here on ARF.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Not only do you have nothing in common with Alaska, but your states are complete opposites -- in climate and firearm laws!

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#10]
A brief summary of what it takes to purchase a firearm in Hawaii is as follows:

Taking an NRA "first steps" shooting course, then applying for the permit to own ($25) at the main police station (must have the handgun serial number on hand, so you can't do this in ahead of time), wait 2 weeks, return to the station to pick up the permit and get finger printed, then back to the gun store to pick up your gun, then return to the station again to register it.  You must do this for EACH handgun you purchase (legally).  The permit only allows YOU to use the handgun.  So if your wife uses it with out you around (at the range or to ward off a rapist) she'll get arrested for using it.  But, you can go back to the station again to get her co-registerd for an other $25.

long guns are a bit different in that you can apply for it with out actually owning the gun first, you can register more than one at a time, and oince you own it, can legally loan it to a friend.  But the rest is the same.

You have to have a clean record too.  So any trouble with the law and you can't own one (legally).  A temporary restraingin order (TRO) will also prohibit you.  What's wrong with that is a TRO is an accusation from another person, not a conviction.  You also need to have a medical doctor sign off as part of the permit process as well.  So, he/she can rule you to be unfit to own a gun in Hawaii.  There's more, but I'm startign to get depressed and can't type any more......
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
But unofficialy, it is not a law that is enforced.

That law is also commonly known to not be enforced.  So some would consider it to be safe to posess high capacity magazines.

It is up to the police officer who you encounter if he/she is going to press that charge or not...most likely not.

For those considering playing the odds, I would like to introduce you to officer cgpd7507

Officer cgpd7507, what do you have to say on this subject:

I'm a police officer, minding other people's business is my job, on or off duty.

Don't even bring up the 2A to me.

You can call me what you want, if it's illegal I have "No Sympathy".

Now fortunately for us, officer cgpd7507 lives and works in Florida, but don't you just know that the kind of person he is exists in Hawaii too, and Oregon as well, for that matter (Washington state has Stickman, by way of contrast.  Lucky Evergreen staters).

So watch out and keep your nose clean; officer Orwell is minding your business.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Hawaii has always had the worst firearms laws in the country.

They are even worse than Massachusetts and Puerto Rico .

I believe you have to register all ammo too.

What state makes you register a non firing matchlock musket? Hawaii.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A brief summary of what it takes to purchase a firearm in Hawaii is as follows:

Taking an NRA "first steps" shooting course, then applying for the permit to own ($25) at the main police station (must have the handgun serial number on hand, so you can't do this in ahead of time), wait 2 weeks, return to the station to pick up the permit and get finger printed, then back to the gun store to pick up your gun, then return to the station again to register it.  You must do this for EACH handgun you purchase (legally).  The permit only allows YOU to use the handgun.  So if your wife uses it with out you around (at the range or to ward off a rapist) she'll get arrested for using it.  But, you can go back to the station again to get her co-registerd for an other $25.

long guns are a bit different in that you can apply for it with out actually owning the gun first, you can register more than one at a time, and oince you own it, can legally loan it to a friend.  But the rest is the same.

You have to have a clean record too.  So any trouble with the law and you can't own one (legally).  A temporary restraingin order (TRO) will also prohibit you.  What's wrong with that is a TRO is an accusation from another person, not a conviction.  You also need to have a medical doctor sign off as part of the permit process as well.  So, he/she can rule you to be unfit to own a gun in Hawaii.  There's more, but I'm startign to get depressed and can't type any more......

wow.  that is almost unbelievable.  is there just no gun-related political movement there? it seems like the NRA would make a move to do more there.  or maybe there's just not much of a gun culture in hawaii to begin with?  

on the other hand, I'm surprised we don't hear the anti-gun side hold up hawaii as a model, draconian gun laws and one of the lowest murder rates in the country seem to make their case pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Hawaii is too liberal and isolated to be of benefit to either the NRA or Handgun Control.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
When you are going to leave the island make shure you mail any questionably items home.  The police were very laid back but TSA at the airport will arrest you if they find something.  They found My  automatic knife  and went nuts it was even in my checked in bags. It sucks loosing a $450 microtech
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought TSA gave people the option to mail it to themselves instead of confiscating it.  That's just too expensive of a knife to lose (or even loose .)  Sorry for your loss.  I hope the agent that kept it falls on it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They are even worse than Massachusetts and Puerto Rico . have

hr

ammunition and blackpowder firearms do not need to be registered in Hawaii.  Anyone of legal age can purchase.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought ammo had to be registered?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]
damn, i'm glad i live in FL...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1000

I think we just trumped all other states with the stand your own ground law, even though I know others have similiar laws.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

I think we just trumped all other states with the stand your own ground law, even though I know others have similiar laws.

Cool . Tell me that when you don't even need a permit anymore .
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But unofficialy, it is not a law that is enforced.

That law is also commonly known to not be enforced.  So some would consider it to be safe to posess high capacity magazines.

It is up to the police officer who you encounter if he/she is going to press that charge or not...most likely not.

For those considering playing the odds, I would like to introduce you to officer cgpd7507

Officer cgpd7507, what do you have to say on this subject:

I'm a police officer, minding other people's business is my job, on or off duty.

Don't even bring up the 2A to me.

You can call me what you want, if it's illegal I have "No Sympathy".

Now fortunately for us, officer cgpd7507 lives and works in Florida, but don't you just know that the kind of person he is exists in Hawaii too, and Oregon as well, for that matter (Washington state has Stickman, by way of contrast.  Lucky Evergreen staters).

So watch out and keep your nose clean; officer Orwell is minding your business.

That thread was annoying as hell. He just wouldnt stfu. Brown Shirt and proud of it, now pass out the SS badges
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I thought ammo had to be registered?

hr

Nope.  I work at a local sporting goods store in honolulu.  store policy is anyone over 21 can buy ammo with a valid id.  and everytime i go to gunstores you just buy it like you buy a can of soda.  as for a bulk purchase, like buying an entire pallet of ammo, i'm not sure i have not done so.  maybe there is something special you would need to do for that but i doubt it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:39:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I just got news that I'm being deployed to Maui, and I'd like to know if my personal semi-automatic M4-configuration carbine is legal in Hawaii.

if you have the 14.5 inch m4 barrel the flash hider needs to br permanently attached so it makes the gun barrel 16 inches total.  i don't know if they'd actually check if you fh comes off.  everytime i went to register a firearm at the police station they just take out their tape measure and put it up the barrel.  they didn't inspect my fh at all.

also i was there one time where a guy in the military, who had just moved here, was registering his beretta.  in it he had his hicap mag and they asked him what the capacity of the mag was.  i told them it was the 15 round mag and they wanted to confiscate it.  he begged with them to let him send it back home instead of them keeping it.  they finally let him keep it and told him to mail it out of the state.  they informed him that it would be unlawful to have the mag loaded.  so make sure not to bring your mags in with you when you register the gun.

also, all this registering of firearms can on;y be done at the main police station (hq) located downtown.  can't just go to any police station to do so.  hope this was of some help.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

Cool . Tell me that when you don't even need a permit anymore . hr

What do you mean on CCW.??? You should always have to have a permit on for a CC gun, I think at least.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

Cool . Tell me that when you don't even need a permit anymore .

What do you mean on CCW.??? You should always have to have a permit on for a CC gun, I think at least.

No Way . An Armed society is a polite society .
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

Cool . Tell me that when you don't even need a permit anymore . hr

No Way . An Armed society is a polite society .

I have seen some complete dumbasses in my life, a safety class or two should be required for a CCW license, but yeah I totally agree with you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah if people are going to carry in public there should be some safety classes and I also think there should be some type of proficiency requirement too, I think its also important so that people who are going to carry a firearm are aware of the laws regarding the use of deadly physical force, it would be a shame to end up in jail simply because someone wasn't aware of the laws (such as the requirement of some states that you have to have no avenue of escape prior to being justified in the use of DPF in self defense)
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#29]
the permit system in florida is no hassle to me at all.  some say its the first step to not letting us have them at all... but there's too many stupid people out there.  i'll gladly prove i'm worthy.  'Least we can still own 'em how we like 'em (ahem cali)
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Go to Hawaii and get a CCW.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Go to Hawaii and get a CCW.

We are a "May issue" state.  And it is commonly known that any application which is submitted to the Chief of Police (who is 100% pro-ban of all firearms in Hawaii) will be rejected.  No one to my knowledge has ever recieved a CCW in Hawaii.  I posess a CCW in Utah, Florida and Nevada, but none apply to here locally.  I only have them for when I travel out of state.

I completely agree that a person must have adequate training in not only how to use a firearm, but also trained on when not to use one as well.  I myself have attended several shooting schools and many instructor and I am at times appalled by what I see at the range.  Such as muzzle checks, where the shooter looks gown the muzzle to confirm it is loaded.

A person must show competance to recieve a licence to drive...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

They are even worse than Massachusetts and Puerto Rico .

I believe you have to register all ammo too.

Our laws really aren't that bad. I'm not sure where you are getting that information.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top