Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:11:40 PM EDT
I have a national match A2 upper with 1/4 MOA elevation/windage adjustments, but it's not numbered like the standard elevation knob. For example with standard sights and the target at 400 yards that's one click down from '4' and you're good to go. How are you supposed to make the bullet drop adjustment a priori with the NM sights? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:28:02 PM EDT
Shooters use " Clicks " from bottom for KD zeros. Before stages you set the sights by bottoming it out and clicking up to your elevation zero. No need for #'s on the drum and most sets have no #'s at all.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:34:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tangeant:
Shooters use " Clicks " from bottom for KD zeros. Before stages you set the sights by bottoming it out and clicking up to your elevation zero.

Are you saying this is a trial and error process? Like if you start plinking away at a 400yd target you make continuous windage/elevation adjustments until you're consistently on target and then make a note of clicks up from bottom? What is the acronym KD? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:18:59 PM EDT
Well, most shooters I know (me included) use the advertised bullet drop for that bullet/MV combo for whatever range they are at to get close. You have comeups for your load - and yes, it is a trial and error process. You get on paper, but have to fine tune your zero at that range for the conditions. This is assuming you are shooting on a KD (known distance) course. I write in my log book my comeups for each range (2,3 and 6 hundred yard zeros). I use two different bullet types, but know the comeups for that range. My NM sights have MOA marks on them, so it ends up being easy to remember also. Another trick is to use orange paint (just the model stuff) and mark your elevation drum at the ranges you need. It's simple, and if you change to a new load, it's easy to remove and re-mark.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:09:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 2:10:29 PM EDT by 360hp355]

Originally Posted By SPDSNYPR:
Well, most shooters I know (me included) use the advertised bullet drop for that bullet/MV combo for whatever range they are at to get close.

Thanks. Does anyone have a web link to a table/calculator that gives MOA adjustment as a function of range? Something I could print out and take to the range. The bullets I've been using are XM193.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:13:57 PM EDT

I have a national match A2 upper with 1/4 MOA elevation/windage adjustments, but it's not numbered like the standard elevation knob. For example with standard sights and the target at 400 yards that's one click down from '4' and you're good to go. How are you supposed to make the bullet drop adjustment a priori with the NM sights? Thanks in advance.

So you shoot in CMP competition?? if not, NM sights are pretty much a waste. Every one is correct. Thru zeroing your weapon at the KD (Known Distance ) ranges,and using a log book, you record you Clicks from the bottom up. I know from my Log book my start point for me at 200Yds on my M1A is 7 clicks. for 300yds it's 9 clicks up and 23 clicks up for 600 yds. Shooting conditions, shooting positions, wind and temp changes ,etc and other factors will cause a click or two change. but that's what the log book is for. To help you record the conditions so you know when to add or subtract a click or two based on past performance and experience.

Fingernail polish is another tool to add witness markes to your elevation drum. it's cheap and you can raid your wifes collection if your married (she's got plenty...believe me..)
Top Top