Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2003 1:39:05 PM EDT
I am thinking of putting a IOR M2 Super on a flat top carbine looks like I'll need an adapter, just looking for your experience of this combination. What adapter to use, any issues about this I may need to know.
TIA
Dennis
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Just curious why you are considering putting a fixed 6 power scope on a short range rifle.   In general, you would be better served going to a fixed 4 power or a low power variable like a 1 - 4.    6 power is probably a might too much scope unless you are planning on doing no CQB stuff and everything is around 300 yards or so.

But, if you decide to,    the 35 mm rings with the scope will fasten right to your rail on the flat top. No reason to pay extra for adapters or such, unless you are going into quick disconnect mode.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The M2 Super is a 35 mm tube which is different than the normal 1" and 30 mm ones. You'll need to use their special rings that are included with the purchase.

6x is a bit powerful but not to the extreme. I've used a 4x and 5x scope on an AR and found them fine. I can handhold a 5x reasonably steady on a silloutte at a pretty good distance.

Have a look at the normal M2 or M1 (if you don't wear glasses you don't need the $100 adjustment that comes with the M2).
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually I have a M2 on it now, it's a .308 scope that I had on another rifle, replaced the scope on that rifle with a 8x scope. At this time the only place to shoot near by is a range with 25 yd. and 100 yd. targets, and shooters must shoot from the bench. Since I'm in Cal. not many options for places to shoot. At 100 yds. the 4x isn't bad but a little more power would be nice, anything more powerful will probably be to big for the rifle size. I think with the M2 super I would need a mount like the arms 19a to bring it up to proper height. Right now SWFA has the supers priced at $419.
Dennis
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
IF SWFA has that scope with 35 mm rings included for $419, I would buy it before they realize their pricing mistake.     That price has to be at or below wholesale.    The cheapest I have ever seen it is $499 with the rings.   The rest of SWFA's prices on the Valdada line are on the high side.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Just my humble opinion,

The Super M2 is indeed priced low, below Valdada's MAP policy (but SWFA may have a special arrangement), however, you may wonder, why is that??

Go with the regular M1 or M2.  If you want a "fixed six," I recommend the 6x42 with MP-8 (more versatile and precise) over the Super M2, for the same amount of money.

Good Luck!!

"Mr. Henry"
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top