Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 3:51:19 AM EDT
What am I doing wrong?  Never had this much trouble w/ scope mounting...get the scope seated nicely, taking up slack a little at a time and when it comes time to tighten down for the final push, the scope will invariably tweak to the left or right (depending on which side of the rings I'm torquing on).  Any help out there?  Should I be putting some tape on the inside of the rings?  What?

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:34:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Well shit...I guess I should have asked who makes the best ACOG clone
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]

this happens to all my IOR threads.

I've never had the problem you're having though....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Try this:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=134&t=146952
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You, kind sir, are a great American...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try this:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=134&t=146952

That ONLY applies to LaRue scope mounts and has absolutely nothing to do with the ARMS rings.

Why?

Aside from being throw-lever mounts, the two couldn't be more different in design.  

Larue is a ONE PIECE mount with vertically split rings.  Each ring has one top and one bottom screw on each side (4 total)...  You tighten BOTH bottom screws all the way first, then tighten the top.  Because of the design, the scope doesn't get "turned" one way or the other.

My suggestion...  Continue the "trial and error" with only one ring instead of two.  As a last resort, I'd sell my ARMS rings and buy LaRue.

I didn't believe all the hype about them being "the best there is" until I saw them for myself.  The design is amazing!  The way they adjust to that particular scope so there is no need for lapping, the way the screws are positioned to eliminate your problem...  They're a work of art!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I hadn't read the article, I just knew there was an thread on scope mounting and thought it might help the poster.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
That link did help, even though it's for a LaRue mount...basic concepts worked...scope is straight and level now, thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:00:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I only had one scope do this to me - on a hunting bolt gun.  I approximated the amount of "twist" that was occuring and overshot the initial install and tweaked it right in.  Probably not the 4.0 way to do it, but the rifle shoots fine and holds zero.  In the hardwoods setting I hunt in, I'll never see a shot over 200yds, if that, so I'm not overly concerned about it.  I check zero each year and go have fun.

A couple of things you might do, if equipped:

Lap the rings in with a lapping tool.  You may have a slight out of round condition that's pinching and moving your scope during install.

Maybe a slight amount of water soluble lubricant, even water itself, may help the scope to stay in place while tightening.  It will dry and "disappear" after a while and not be an issue down the road.

Just random thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Mongo,

Again, you're a wealth of knowledge...used the overshoot and 1/32 turn technique and it settled right in, plumb dead center...

Just got back from the range with this rifle, am now an IOR koolaid drinker, I need to stretch its legs out to 500m...anybody know of a good LONG distance range in Oklahoma?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top