Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 8:13:52 AM EDT
I've been thinking about getting an optic for my Armalite M15 carbine, and these two are the ones I've boiled it down to (although I'm also still considering an EOTech).

Since the chance I'll get to actually try either on a range, I was hoping the good people at Ar-15.com might be able to help me out; if anyone owns or has used either optic, how do you like 'em?

They both seem to be in the same category, price and quality wise. The only difference that might be in the Leupold's favor is that it is 1-4x variable power; the IOR is fixed 3x.

Also, what kind of batteries do these optics use? If one uses a more common and easily replaceable kind, it would tip me towards it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#1]
1.1x4x26mm CQB from IOR.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried the Leupold for a while. It uses AA batteries.

Pros - zoon feature

cons - short and sensitive to eye relief, tunnel vision (very hard to focus on target with both eyes open when compared to EoTech. Price!!

Eotech will come out with a model soon that includes a 3x or 4x clip on adapter, so that's what I'd recommend.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The CQ/T is not popular on this forum because people compare it to optics that aren't exactly comparable... like the ACOG (fixed power, BAC works for some, doesn't for others), the S&B Short Dot (nice glass, but 3x the price of the CQ/T), the EoTech (no zoom at all, 3X option will require an entirely new unit that has not been released yet), the Aimpoint (no zoom, 3X option is expensive, requires you to move it out of the way for CQB distances). The IOR scopes are closer but don't go down to 1x.

Yeah, the reticle isn't perfect, and yeah, it doesn't have as wide a field of view as the EoTech, and yeah, the battery doesn't last 10,000 hours, but the scope is very bright, is NVG compatible, and will go for hundreds of hours on the mid brightness settings for illumination on a single AA battery. It's also very easy to zero and built like a tank. Plus, Leopold backs the scopes with superb service and a great warranty. New reticles are coming, and you'll be able to refit your CQ/T with a variety of them. Both LT and ARMS make QD mounts that repeat zero with no problems (as long as you're not going to try shooting 1" groups at 200yds - wrong scope for that anyway).

Lots of guys shooting 3-gun use the CQ/T, it is forward deployed in the sandbox, and even my humble self has put thousands of rounds downrange without my CQ/T losing zero, losing parts, or falling off. I'm sure 10 people will chime in after this with negative opinions, including some dealers, but you owe it to yourself to try one before making your final decision. You can find them way below retail on the EE and on eBay.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]
If it helps I'm in teh exact same position right now.  same two options too.  I love IORs and that cqb reticle at 3x is near perfect for everything except suuuuuper short and suuuuper long range work.  but if you're doing either you're probably not going 3x!  CQT has that 1x (or close enough to fool me, and I've hd many a.5 and 1.1 scopes) option plus the new reticles which will be retrofit-able.  Probably will (surprise surprise) get both and sell the one I don't like.

ETA: also looking at 223 elcan.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
  I also agree about the cqt , it is a fine optic. People say that is cant compare to an acog but it isn't supposed to . I would never mount a fixed power scope to any of my carbines but that is my peferrence . If you like the speed of an aimpoint but would like to be able to extend you rifles range you need to check the leupold out .
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Looked at both the Leupold 1-3x14mm, IOR 3x25, and IOR 4x24 M2.  I picked the IOR 3x25 CQB as it has a fixed 3x and a larger objective lens over the Leupold. I like the CQB reticle of the IOR better and the optical quality of the IOR is very nice.      

I am very happy with my IOR purchase and the prompt service from Mike at CSGunWorks.  

Austin,TX
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are considering the CQT please look at the Meopta Meostar 1-4X.  Same money, brighter illumination, equal or better glass, more forgiving eye relief.  Same true 1X minimum power with more on the high end (4X vs 3X)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looked at both the Leupold 1-3x14mm, IOR 3x25, and IOR 4x24 M2.  I picked the IOR 3x25 CQB as it has a fixed 3x and a larger objective lens over the Leupold. I like the CQB reticle of the IOR better and the optical quality of the IOR is very nice.      

I am very happy with my IOR purchase and the prompt service from Mike at CSGunWorks.  

Austin,TX

Thanks!

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks for AR15 Board
What do YOU have to say about CS GunWorks

yeah I think everyone agrees on CS!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you are considering the CQT please look at the Meopta Meostar 1-4X.  Same money, brighter illumination, equal or better glass, more forgiving eye relief.  Same true 1X minimum power with more on the high end (4X vs 3X)

very very tempting.  that reticle looks interested.  but price wise its a little above either cqt or ior as there are not too many of these meoptas out there, very little compeition to lower prices.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

very very tempting.  that reticle looks interested.  but price wise its a little above either cqt or ior as there are not too many of these meoptas out there, very little compeition to lower prices.

On the SWFA website the Meopta is exactly $1 less than the CQT and the MSRP for the IOR is $699, same as CQT.  They are all the same price.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the SWFA website the Meopta is exactly $1 less than the CQT and the MSRP for the IOR is $699, same as CQT.  They are all the same price.

I mean more the EE price: the others can be had for less than their SWFA price, the meopta cannot.  That doesn't mean I ain't considerring it, but that's just one thing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I think also that the LT CQ/T mount is about $80 less than the LT ring mount you'd need for the Meopta. The ARMS #12 for the CQ/T is $120, and of course, the pic rail mount that comes with the CQ/T is free (it's not the greatest, but it is free).
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone have a date on when we can change out reticle on the CQ/T?  When does that start?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top