Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2006 5:32:36 PM EDT
I just purchased an IOR 2-12X32 Rifle Scope and I was just wondering, since the reticle is in the second focal plane, If I zero my rifle at 12X at 100 yards and I switch it to 2X magnification and I shoot at 100 yards at the 2X, will it still hit the same spot or will it be different.  If so, how much will it be off by?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have absolutely no idea how to answer your question.  But, I beg you to please post details about the scope, how you like it or don't.  Anything you can tell me.  I am strongly considering one of these.  I posted a couple of weeks ago about them, and got no replies.  So PLEASE give me info!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not supposed to move.  It might, but it shouldn't be much.  Shoot it, and let us know.  You are the test subject.  Go test.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, you guys are putting a lot of pressure on me.  So far, all I can tell you is that the optics are great and the scope is pretty compact for the magnification range.  I chose it over the Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 and over the Horus 4-16 scopes.  Eye relief is pretty much constant.  So far I only zeroed it at 100 yards at 12 magnification, but I was in such a hurry that I couldn't do anything else.  The range I go to goes out to 300 yards and that is where I can really test it out.  I definitely recommend it.  The only thing I ever read about that was somewhat negative was that the Mildot was actually calibrated for 10x instead of the 12x mag.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 The only thing I ever read about that was somewhat negative was that the Mildot was actually calibrated for 10x instead of the 12x mag.  

Yeah I read that too.  I think that was in G&A AR15 book.  But, it looks so awesome.  Let us know when you go test it.  Where did you get yours from?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I got mine from USAOPTICS.Net for $925.00.  (L/E Discount or so they said).
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes it will hold the same zero. The only difference in the power is how it is ranged.  The power at which the scope is supposed to be set for ranging it what is important(should be 10x for IOR if I am not mistaken), and should be verified with a barber's pole if real precision is needed.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just purchased an IOR 2-12X32 Rifle Scope and I was just wondering, since the reticle is in the second focal plane, If I zero my rifle at 12X at 100 yards and I switch it to 2X magnification and I shoot at 100 yards at the 2X, will it still hit the same spot or will it be different.  If so, how much will it be off by?

Wait a second, An IOR thats second plane retical? That don't sound right.

Does the reticel appear to get bigger and smaller as you change the power settings?

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#8]
On the one that I have you do range at 100. As far as the POI changing with the different power settings I dont know. I have never had that problem but next time I go out I will verify this. The only downfall to this scope is that the rings are HEAVY. Badger make some that are 8.6oz for the pair but they are about $200. Mine has held true with the clicks. I have taken it down and then returned it to zero several times without a problem.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, it is second focal plane.  Almost all of IOR's scopes are second focal plane.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:51:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes, it is second focal plane.  Almost all of IOR's scopes are second focal plane.

Um no IOR makes first focal plane retical scopes, I've owned two and both were first focal plane. And I;ve used several others and ALL were FFP not SFP. Like I said if the retical changes size as you increase or decrease power then you know it's a first focal plane retical.

Anyway besides that if it is FFP then ranging is most likly at 10X but read the manual because sometimes it's not.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um no IOR makes first focal plane retical scopes, I've owned two and both were first focal plane. And I;ve used several others and ALL were FFP not SFP. Like I said if the retical changes size as you increase or decrease power then you know it's a first focal plane retical.

Anyway besides that if it is FFP then ranging is most likly at 10X but read the manual because sometimes it's not.

Well which is it?  I don't even own one yet, so I can't answer it.  But, I do know in the article I read on it.  they range on 10x.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well which is it?  I don't even own one yet, so I can't answer it.  But, I do know in the article I read on it.  they range on 10x.

Got a link to the artical?

I know on the FFP retical scope you can range at any setting power wise. Hell thats why I went with IOR in the first place for the optic for my precision rifle, the FFP was a major requirment.

Damn just got it confirmed that it is a SFP, I guess IOR is switching to all SFP reticals on their tactical optics, which sucks becuase FFP is way better IMO. Oh well guess I got to start looking for a new company to get my next optic from, that sucks I really like IOR scopes.

Did I mention I'm heartbroken about this
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#13]
no link.  It was in G & A ar15 book that's been on newstands the past couple of months.  I'm starting not to like what I am hearing.  I had my heart set on one of those.  Now I may be very very upset.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
no link.  It was in G & A ar15 book that's been on newstands the past couple of months.  I'm starting not to like what I am hearing.  I had my heart set on one of those.  Now I may be very very upset.

Yah so did I. I was told  that they were going to be FFP. I've been wanting to stick one on my 30-06 for hunting and as another option to my 4-14 for the precision rifle.

I'm really disapointed the went SFP with the tactical scopes especially since they kept the hunting optics FFP for the most part.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I just reread the article and it clearly says the reticle is in the SFP.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#16]
The reticle is located in the second focal plane, so its size remains constant throughout the magnification range.

This is a quote from the schmidt and bender website.  If this the case reguarding SFP scopes why does the IOR have to mil at 10x.  If the reticle remains the same throughout.  I don't understand, but i am a noob.  I just read the exact opposite in a different spot on the sb website  I think I'm going to go in the bedroom and give myself a couple barrels of buckshot
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
For anyone that is still confused whether it is first or second focal plane, trust me it is second focal plane.  The reticle does not change in size.  Most of IOR's new tactical scopes are in the second focal plane.  I had the NEW 1.1-4 and it is in the second focal plane.  In all honesty it makes no sense in puting an MP8 reticle in the first focal plane.  At 2X how would you see the lines???  The only frist focal plane scope that I would ever get would be the Schmidt and Bender Short Dot because at 1.1x you can turn on the dot and use it like a red dot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]
so does it mil at 10x like the article states?  I don't understand why it wouldn't be at 12.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
For anyone that is still confused whether it is first or second focal plane, trust me it is second focal plane.  The reticle does not change in size.  Most of IOR's new tactical scopes are in the second focal plane.  I had the NEW 1.1-4 and it is in the second focal plane.  In all honesty it makes no sense in puting an MP8 reticle in the first focal plane.  At 2X how would you see the lines???  The only frist focal plane scope that I would ever get would be the Schmidt and Bender Short Dot because at 1.1x you can turn on the dot and use it like a red dot.

I liked the 1.1-4x24 with the MP8 in the FFPl I thought it was sweet.

Hickorycreek, 10x seems to be the standard for ranging with a SFP variable that goes to or over 10. Someone who spends more time wiht precision rifles and optics would be able to explain it way better then I.

The problem with the SFP and ranging at other then the set power setting(in this case 10x) is that you have to use a different formula to get the range. With the FFP the realation ship of the mils stays the same throughout the power settings, if your looking at something that covers say 3 mils at 4 power and you jack up the optics power to 10x, the object will still cover only 3 mils.  That means having to only know one formula for figureing out the range.

Like I said someone who spends more time shooting precision rifles would be better to explain that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hickorycreek, 10x seems to be the standard for ranging with a SFP variable that goes to or over 10. Someone who spends more time wiht precision rifles and optics would be able to explain it way better then I.

The problem with the SFP and ranging at other then the set power setting(in this case 10x) is that you have to use a different formula to get the range. With the FFP the realation ship of the mils stays the same throughout the power settings, if your looking at something that covers say 3 mils at 4 power and you jack up the optics power to 10x, the object will still cover only 3 mils.  That means having to only know one formula for figureing out the range.

Like I said someone who spends more time shooting precision rifles would be better to explain that.

Yep, I definitely have read on the FFP and using mils.  It seems like with this SFP the mils is only usable on 10x I guess.  I still think its a really nice scope for under a 1,000.  The reticle being used is kinda pointless though .   Unless you just want to run it on 10x the whole time.  Other than that I was thinking its pretty close to a do all optic with some compromises.  The 2x isn't that far from 1.1,1.5.1.8 1.x that so many 1-4's have.  And you can go all the way up to 12 with it.  I was thinking of just ignoring the mils.  It does have the adjustable knobs anyway.  You know your distance and your drop just dial it in with the moa knobs.  I read where its kinda silly to have moa knobs and mil reticle.  But you read a lot these days.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I definitely have read on the FFP and using mils.  It seems like with this SFP the mils is only usable on 10x I guess.  I still think its a really nice scope for under a 1,000.  The reticle being used is kinda pointless though .   Unless you just want to run it on 10x the whole time.  Other than that I was thinking its pretty close to a do all optic with some compromises.  The 2x isn't that far from 1.1,1.5.1.8 1.x that so many 1-4's have.  And you can go all the way up to 12 with it.  I was thinking of just ignoring the mils.  It does have the adjustable knobs anyway.  You know your distance and your drop just dial it in with the moa knobs.  I read where its kinda silly to have moa knobs and mil reticle.  But you read a lot these days.

Well you can still use them for hold overs and leads and such, but you have to know the range already to do it IIRC. The FFP IMO just simplifies things a bit and I like simple
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn't know that they made the IOR 1.1-4 with the MP8 reticle in the first focal plane.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top