Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2013 10:26:08 AM EDT
Hey everyone now that I'm back to building an AR-15 I have yet another question on magazines. I did pick up some MagPul mags six so far and I'm starting to feel about Polymer mags. My questions are now on the IMI Defense magazines.

Tell me who are these made by?

How are they?

What kind of flaws if any are known?

How do they hold up?

Just tell me anything and everything about them. I have tried to use google search but I have not found anything as of right now other then where to buy them. I think I had one of these mags in the past with my old AR15. If it is I had no trouble with it in that AR but when I sold the AR it went with it.

Thanks everyone for the info and help.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#1]
They are Israeli made....I picked up a few at PSA and have had zero issues out of them.  They feel light compared to a pmag, but since PSA has them for $7.99, I don't have a big complaint about them.  All the ones I have cycle my .300blk just fine, and I haven't had to trim down the inside rib.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are Israeli made....I picked up a few at PSA and have had zero issues out of them.  They feel light compared to a pmag, but since PSA has them for $7.99, I don't have a big complaint about them.  All the ones I have cycle my .300blk just fine, and I haven't had to trim down the inside rib.
View Quote

Thank you and yeah at this price I was really wanting to know. I was thinking about picking up a few of them.

Do you think they are thinner than a PMag?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Just bought 11, but have not received yet.  I have seen mixed reviews. All mags have mixed reviews!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one.  It does not drop free.  It does work flawlessly.

If you don't care about drop free buy them for that price all day long.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I had a couple of mag problems with GI Mags they would not lock into place but all other mags would it was kind of crazy. I could unload them and they would work fine as soon as I put a round in them would not lock up unless I slammed them in.

If they have these once I get caught up from my last AR parts buy I will buy a few and see how they are.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several and have been using the same one exclusively every time I go shooting.

No malfunctions yet.  It drops free for me, but it does fit a little tighter than my pmags, lancers, and aluminum mags.

I haven't done any failure tests on it though.

I bought them for $10/ea
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have several and have been using the same one exclusively every time I go shooting.

No malfunctions yet.  It drops free for me, but it does fit a little tighter than my pmags, lancers, and aluminum mags.

I haven't done any failure tests on it though.

I bought them for $10/ea
View Quote

Thanks I will try and pick a few of these up. Do you find them to be flimsy? I read a review on Palmetto State site about the mags and a review said they felt they were a little flimsy but worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Just for clarification we're talking about the black plastic magazines with green followers stamped IMI Defense correct?

They remind me of the magazines that used to ship with SIG-556 rifles, except these have another cut on the body for use in an AR-18.  I only have one that was given to me, but I'd like to get more if the consensus is that they're reliable magazines.

Link Posted: 9/26/2013 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just for clarification we're talking about the black plastic magazines with green followers stamped IMI Defense correct?

They remind me of the magazines that used to ship with SIG-556 rifles, except these have another cut on the body for use in an AR-18.  I only have one that was given to me, but I'd like to get more if the consensus is that they're reliable magazines.

View Quote

I'm not sure of the follower but I'm going to say they are the same ones from what I'm reading. You can check them out on Palmetto states website right now they are $7.95 and I'm not sure if they are still running a deal on free shipping or not.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I had bought 10 during one of their earlier sales.  Load/unload fine, they fit in all of my various platforms(Delton, Spikes, LMT, Colt, and Armalite.)  I have zero complaints during the casual usage I have given them. They do feel appreciably lighter than PMags and a LOT lighter than the Elanders.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not sure of the follower but I'm going to say they are the same ones from what I'm reading. You can check them out on Palmetto states website right now they are $7.95 and I'm not sure if they are still running a deal on free shipping or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't have free shipping right now, but I'm hoping they'll offer it again shortly.  I put 5000 of the IMI mags in my shopping cart and it took, so I think they probably still have quite a few.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They don't have free shipping right now, but I'm hoping they'll offer it again shortly.  I put 5000 of the IMI mags in my shopping cart and it took, so I think they probably still have quite a few.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha you sound like me when I was seeing how many lower receivers where in stock at another place. I think they will be in stock for a while and they might come down more who knows.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought one just to add to my collection, its run without a hitch and drops free. For $8 id say they're worth picking up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bought one just to add to my collection, its run without a hitch and drops free. For $8 id say they're worth picking up.
View Quote

Thank you. I think I'm going to pick up 6-8 of them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got my 11 mags in today. They are definitely thinner than a Pmag.  They dropped free from one of my PSA lowers.  I have not tried other lowers or put any rounds through one. The springs seem to be very good.  I see no issues.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just got my 11 mags in today. They are definitely thinner than a Pmag.  They dropped free from one of my PSA lowers.  I have not tried other lowers or put any rounds through one. The springs seem to be very good.  I see no issues.
View Quote

Thank you for that info and I'm betting the one mag I had when I sold my last AR was an IWI mag. I couldnt find any name or markings on it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 3:33:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Just finished a little informal test of an IMI mag I picked up at PSA a while back. Loaded it with 30 rounds M855, left it for 4 months. Checked it for feed lip spread. Mag had no appreciable spread, inserted, fed, and dropped free just fine. Took it out to the range and ran 480rnds through it with NO issues at all. Same mag loaded, shot, and loaded again over and over. Yeah, they're GTG, and now they're selling at PSA for $7.99 (I paid more back in the day).
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just finished a little informal test of an IMI mag I picked up at PSA a while back. Loaded it with 30 rounds M855, left it for 4 months. Checked it for feed lip spread. Mag had no appreciable spread, inserted, fed, and dropped free just fine. Took it out to the range and ran 480rnds through it with NO issues at all. Same mag loaded, shot, and loaded again over and over. Yeah, they're GTG, and now they're selling at PSA for $7.99 (I paid more back in the day).
View Quote

Thank you that is a good test and good for me to get a few of them. I think I might pick up 5-10 of them. I have six Pmags now or I will when my order from PSA gets here tomorrow!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up 10 of these myself.

First impressions are that these definitely feel thinner then a PMAG and even a Battle Mag.

Fit and dropped free from 3 different ST lowers. For $7.99 each I don't think you can go wrong with these as long as they feed.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top