Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/31/2003 6:16:54 PM EDT
If and when the SHTF, I just wanted to ask you guys if you have commercial ammo or handloaded ammo?  I ordered up a Dillon 550, and was thinking of starting to stockpile some ammo?  What is your opinion?

John
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
commercial mil-spec stuff is safer and cheaper IMO. unless ya know what ya doin , i will never shoot reloads..not even commercial
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't go wrong with a Dillon 550, if you know how to use it properly [;)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
lol..jus a note,,i get midway cataloge and i must say there are sum badazz multi-stage reloaders out there..too bad im too lazy it ALMOST looks like fun..
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Commercial loaded ammo for SHTF. Use the reloads for practice and target shooting. Have fun with dillon!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Dillon 450 with 550 powder measure (and Fail-Safe linkage).  Though I store commercial ammo (and mark all boxes with dates, rotate ammo, shoot the oldest, etc) I am pretty confident in my handloads from the Dillon.  It is an amazing machine.  I had sat in the shop  slowly cranking the handle, looking at how it all worked.  Cool!

IF I were to use this ammo for Homeland Defense, it would be with once or never fired brass.  The more times the brass has been fired, the less reliable I would consider it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been loading ammo on a Dillon 550 for 6 years or better.Loaded more than 20000 rounds For 9mm,40S&W,10mm,357 mag,45acp and 223,and I have fired thousands of reloads I have done with no problems.If you decide to reload make sure you educate yourself on the do's and dont's and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep a mix of commercial M193 and M855 around for SHTF... I reload for competition shooting.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If SHTFs, whatever the hell is closest that shoots is just fine.  that happens to be Q3131A at the moment, and M196.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't be afraid of ammo loaded on a 550 Dillon.

However, I must say that I have not loaded for my 5.56 in many years.  Surplus ammo is just too cheap to make it worth my time.

I do load all my handgun ammo and my .45-70 ammo on my 550. no problems.      
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I do handloads w/ a single stage for my varminter. My 550 is setup for 45 right now.

I keep finding great deals on q3131, m193, and PMP (South african...). Sheesh, I still have a case or 3 of SA battlepacks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#11]
SHTF is a relative thing.  Your neighbor might be in a SHTF situation while you are watching TV next door.

In our litigious society, standard factory hunting ammo is the best bet.  A vicious prosecuting attourney could do a lot with a person who "Could not buy deadly enough ammunition.  He had to make his own in a basement workshop to shoot and cripple my client..."  It is amazing how those skells clean up with a shave and a suit.  

The lawyer wants half of the settlement, which will be everything you own or plan to ever own.

Massad Ayoob had an article on this topic in "Backwoods Home" magazine a few years ago, and he argued for using standard store bought ammunition for "Emergency Equipment" and use the rest for practice.

Of course in a global SHTF situation, I am reminded of Mad Max and his crumbly 12Ga. paper shotshells he had for his 'sawed-off'.  Some fresh handloads would have served him well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll stick with new production military ammo for my back up stash.

Use your reloads for practice, but keep your mags and strippers loaded with fresh mil-spec product.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe there is a legality issue with reloads,  because you are making your own bullets for an inteneded puprose.  Thats why its always stated that you use a self defense load in your pistol with a name like safety slug, etc...  When the jury hears black talon, or names like these they hear the name & take it as an implement of destruction, not defense.  I would stay with military milspec.  But if the SHTF for real your probably not going to have to worry about no jury....

I use my dillon 550 for everything but I try and stick to milspec ammo for the AR.  I tested a lot for factory & had no problems.  I then went and bought a large quantity so my zero would not change much...  Probably not going to change but I did it anyway...

Prosise

This would be a good question for a member of LE.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Depends on the situation.  But if you really think it's shtf time, use your newest and best commercial then military newest to oldest and then reloads.  Although some may put the reloads in before surplus over 20 years old.  

If you still need it after a few mags full then you're probably in TEOTWAWKI and not SHTF.

But as I'm within hearing distance of fireworks at the Pond and the Ducks won tonight I guess it's gonnabe a few more days till SHTF.  I mean if SHTF didn't happen when the Lakers crashed and burned when will it?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
commercial mil-spec stuff is safer and cheaper IMO. unless ya know what ya doin , i will never shoot reloads..not even commercial
View Quote
I agree. Georgia Arms had to buy a friend of mine a new rifle, after their ammo blew up his pre-ban Colt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top