Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 11:12:59 AM EST
this ones got me stumped. have a BM upper 20inch (c7 type upper assy) it was purchased by me directly from bushmaster in 1990 noticed there are no markings on the barrel the front site base has a crown logo ,anyone know who made this barrel?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:08:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2004 3:09:24 PM EST by shamayim]
Bushmaster made it. It's only in recent years that Bushie has started marking the barrels, a la Colt. Oh yeah, there's also a good chance that the thing is not chrome lined either. The HB barrel I got from them about 12-13 years ago wasn't. Was also totally unmarked.

The tipoff is the crown on the front sight base. That's the mark Bushie has always had on their FSBs. Got one on my unmarked job, and also on the brand new A2 type bbl I got ftom them within the past year
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:14:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2004 3:20:04 PM EST by mongo001]

Originally Posted By shamayim:
Bushmaster made it. It's only in recent years that Bushie has started marking the barrels, a la Colt. Oh yeah, there's also a good chance that the thing is not chrome lined either. The HB barrel I got from them about 12-13 years ago wasn't. Was also totally unmarked.

The tipoff is the crown on the front sight base. That's the mark Bushie has always had on their FSBs. Got one on my unmarked job, and also on the brand new A2 type bbl I got ftom them within the past year

I am in no way doubting your knowledge, but I am holding in my hands a Bushmaster example that is contradictory to your comments. It is a 14.5", M4 profile barrel, stamped "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9" and the FSB has a forging mark of "G02[a circle with "RI" in it]1. It has a permanently attached mini-Y comp, so I am guessing the FSB is factory installed. I guess I'm saying that in present day, the crown is not always telling of a Bushmaster barrel. In fact, I've seen them on other barrels as well. Wish I had taken pics.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:53:49 AM EST
Mongo,

No offense taken. Can only pass on what my personal experience has been

Haven't ever seen the crown used by any other bbl maker on their sight bases. On the other hand, it surprises me not at all that Bushie would get sight bases from more than one supplier.

What I was wanting to point out was that, if he got the barrel from Bushie, as he says he did, if it had the crown on the side of the base, then it is almost certainly a Bushmaster barrel, What it seemed he was asking was was it really a Bushie, if it didn't have any stampings on the barrel itself.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:04:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By shamayim:
Mongo,

No offense taken. Can only pass on what my personal experience has been

Haven't ever seen the crown used by any other bbl maker on their sight bases. On the other hand, it surprises me not at all that Bushie would get sight bases from more than one supplier.

What I was wanting to point out was that, if he got the barrel from Bushie, as he says he did, if it had the crown on the side of the base, then it is almost certainly a Bushmaster barrel, What it seemed he was asking was was it really a Bushie, if it didn't have any stampings on the barrel itself.

I'm with you. For every AR rule there are exceptions. That is about the only thing consistent with AR parts and suppliers these days.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:24:25 PM EST
Top Top