Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2003 9:07:18 AM EDT
3 prong flash hider Triangle hand guards SP1 upper SMALL PIN. SEAR CUT. NO Brass delfector No forward Assist.

Barrel marked C close tot he front near the fh and MP just below the Front sight base.

Who makes small pin A1 uppers with sear cuts NOW. with No forward assist or Brass deflector.

There is a triangle stamped lightly on the upper otherwise there no marks on the upper.

Off hand I have been briefly told by a "sean at Colt that this is a EARLY m-16 upper and brl.

What is your opinion or thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a classic!

post some pics..if you can please.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't quote me but if it is a slab side receiver with small hole it is probably early M16 before the advent of the FA and A1 Flash suppressor.  Look at the barrel real close just behind the flash suppressor for more markings possibly on the bottom of the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Early or Air Force M16, Colt no chrome chamber or bore. The Air Force never saw the need for the forward assist so most of their rifles are non f/a. BTW I have the same type of upper but latter issue with chrome bore, has the same Colt proof marks around the front of the ejection port. Real nice light weight upper.

Mack
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a brand new Colt A-1 gray upper with triangle handguards, tear drop assist, A-1 flash hider, bayo lug but no brass deflector. Barrel is marked C MP Chrome Bore and the handle has a C H on it. It has the 1x12 "pencil barrel". Anybody know the history of this version?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Jim go to Biggerhammer they have your story there.
[url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
3 prong flash hider Triangle hand guards SP1 upper SMALL PIN. SEAR CUT. NO Brass delfector No forward Assist.

Barrel marked C close tot he front near the fh and MP just below the Front sight base.
View Quote

Nothing after the MP? Should be either another C for "chamber" or B for "bore". MP means "magnetic particle tested".

Who makes small pin A1 uppers with sear cuts NOW. with No forward assist or Brass deflector.
View Quote

Now? Nobody.

There is a triangle stamped lightly on the upper otherwise there no marks on the upper.

Off hand I have been briefly told by a "sean at Colt that this is a EARLY m-16 upper and brl.

What is your opinion or thoughts.
View Quote

Well, you never know. It could always be something someone put together out of leftover parts and sold as a loss leader (I've been guilty of this myself[:D]). Chroming of chambers (which would account for a C or a C MP C) began in August of 1967; I don't know for sure but my impression has been that they were putting birdcage flash suppressors on M16s by then.

What does the slipring look liike? If it's the A2, so-called "delta" type, then you have one made from someone's odd parts. If it's the early straight style - and dull gray, not glossy black like 1970's in-the-wrap replacement sliprings I've seen - you could well have an original.

BTW, if it has the small hole and sear cut, it AIN'T SP1, it's M16[:D].
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Its an Early model like 63. MP and C the Delta ring is straight

It real and its new Its been setting in a NG armory.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, It's an M16 upper, Military, not SP-1, probably USAF.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds Air Force, If the upper recvr's front pivot pin hole is counterbored on the left side it's AF for sure.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]
YES thats correct it is counter bored.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
C MP on the barrel denotes a completely unlined innard C MP C is a chromed chamber, and C MP CHROME is a totally chrome lined chamber and bore.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats what I hear.. ANy body now the twist rate?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]
It's 1:12".

A C always means chrome somewhere; by itself it means that the chamber is chromed, as does C MP C. I've never seen one marked only C MP but my mind is open to new facts. C barrels went into production in August 1967; Harrington & Richardson and Hydra-Matic began production of M16A1s in November 1968 IIRC. I'm guessing that C MP C barrels follow that event, one of the Cs standing for Colt; if magnetic particle testing began in the interim, that would explain a C MP barrel.

Incidentally, I have NO idea how H&R and GM barrels were marked; I posed this question on the M16 board and got no reply.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I have pics not very good but I have pics if you all would like to see. I also have no way of posting them.

What interested me is the upper stamp of an upside down triangle and the MP located under the FSB and then the C near the end of the Barrel..
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#15]
[i]Under[/i] the front sight base, eh? Yes, I see that's what you wrote in the first post. I've never looked for any markings there before but next chance I get to exaine a 1960s SP I'll have to look. Could be they were MP testing earlier than I realized.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
MP means "magnetic particle tested".
View Quote

A nit, "MP" means "[b]M[/b]agnetic particle, [b]P[/b]roof load tested" Per the GI prints for the M16, M16A1, and M16A2 barrels. Same reason the bolts are marked "MP".

The "C" before the "MP" is the makers mark.  When there was only one makers there was no need to use a makers mark. Well, mebbe for the first few AR15 barrels the Winchester made. The "C" about an 1 7/8" back of the muzzle means a chrome chamber. Chrome chambers were adopted on 26MAY67 and all new production after September of that year had them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top