Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 6:24:25 AM EDT
OK, here is the hypothetical SHTF scenario.
You were headed home from the gun store with some parts for a new project when the SHTF.
You have holed up in a home depot by yourself with fuel for a generator, adequate food and water, but you can only stay for 1 week(7 days). You have 100 zombies in the parking lot, and you estimate you must kill 75 of them with one shot each to be able to make it to your vehicle at the far end of the parking lot.

You have ONLY:

1. An AR15 1/7 20" barrel (with barrel nut, gas tube, FSB).
2. A Complete AR15 bolt carrier and bolt.
3. An AR15 20 round magazine(complete).
4. 100 rounds of M855.

You have NO charging handle, NO receivers, NO stock, buffer or FCG components. Only what is listed above.

And a post apocalytpic fully stocked Home Depot at your disposal , but no other tools or materials other than what is in the store and a working generator with plenty of fuel, food and water. You have no other human help.

You have 1 week to make a working rifle that will allow you to hit at least 75/100 targets at an average range of 50 yards.

If you think you could, explain how you would do it.

Possible for you? Possible for anyone?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#1]
to say the least if I was in a hurry to get the hell out of there, I'd make a "zip" gun out of the barrel in the lead pipe area and take out the close ones, and probrably make some molotov cotails and hope that works
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I would most likely try to mill and bolt together crude receivers out of available metal stock, to make  a crude manual action, single shot rifle, but it would definitely take me more than a week and I would probably waste half my ammo testing it, and might KB myself.

I know some people who I think could do it, though.

Remember you have welding torches and drill presses/milling presses and flat and bar aluminum and steel stock. I might even try a steel-reinforced wooden receiver with metal rails (probably KB though).
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes - necessity is the mother of all inventions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I would be using the barrel as a clubing device
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Weld the barrel to a piece of flat stock so it sticks out where the lower reciever would be. Put just the bolt  with fireing pin in the chamber with a round attached. Now you are loaded. Use a piece of angle iron with a  hole small enough for the back of the bolt to go through only.  You C clamp the angle iron perpindicular to the chamber on the flat stock with the back of the bolt in the hole now you are locked. The bolt can not blow out. Cut a hole in the flat stock behind the bolt big enough for a small hammer handle to go through. Leave enogh play for the hammer to pivot front to back towards the firing pin. Drill a hole in the handle and put a pin through and fasten to the flat stock and you how have a hammer to fire it. Mount the whole thing to a tripod from a surveyers transit. Mark out 50 yards in the store and set up a targert. Anchor the tripod down bore sight it by looking down the barrel and fire it. To fire pull the hammer towards you it will piviot the head foward and strike the firing pin. Now mount a lazer pointer or level that projects a point on to the impact point and fasten to the flat stock under the barrel. Test fire again and adjust laser if needed. Now remove one C clamp and drill a hole through the angle and flat stock and install  A nut&bolt. Remove the outher C clamp and drill a hole and put a pin in it so you can fire pull the pin swing the angle out of the way pull the bolt put another round on it re insert close the angle pin it and ready to fire. Slow but it should work. Open the front door put the dot on him fire and close the door VERY VERY fast reload and repeat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a lot of volatile chemicals on a Home Depot.
Like Paint thinner, and soap and something to gel it up, like tar/silicone, etc...
And matches and rags.
I'm pretty sure you know where I'm going with this.
Zombies are flammable, I suspect.

And a big propane tank and some hose and fittings for a flame thrower.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]
don't forget the forklift.
And lots of plywood.
You could make a pretty safe exit vehicle.

With fire weapons, of course.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#9]
If you mean a rifle that takes a detachable mag and fires semiauto, I'd say that's a tall order for most people.

If you just mean an improvised single shot amalgamation of the barrel (sans gas system), bolt, and a hastily designed hammer/trigger, I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult. I guess I'd take 4-5 days to build and spend the rest of the time shooting zombies from the rooftop of the Home Depot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I would have to go for a simple single shot, hand loaded.  Anything else is too complicated.  It would be easy to rig up a firing mechanism using staple guns and you get a LARGE trigger "handle" in one, and manually pull the bolt and bolt carrier out of the gun to reload each single round.. The gas tube would have to be bent forward so the gas wouldn't knock me out and burn me.  Some heavy wire and such would make an adjustable rear sight quickly.  A little scrap steel could be welded to the barrel for a stock.

The verdict.......I aint shooting it first , but it might work
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Weld the barrel to a piece of flat stock so it sticks out where the lower reciever would be. Put just the bolt  with fireing pin in the chamber with a round attached. Now you are loaded. Use a piece of angle iron with a  hole small enough for the back of the bolt to go through only.  You C clamp the angle iron perpindicular to the chamber on the flat stock with the back of the bolt in the hole now you are locked. The bolt can not blow out. Cut a hole in the flat stock behind the bolt big enough for a small hammer handle to go through. Leave enogh play for the hmmer to pivot front to back towards the firing pin. Drill a hole in the handle and put a pin through and fasten to the flat stock and you how have a hammer to fire it. Mount the whole thing to a tripod from a surveyers transit. Mark out 50 yards in the store and set up a targert. Anchor the tripod down bore sight it by looking down the barrel and fire it. To fire pull the hammer towards you it will piviot the head foward and strike the firing pin. Now mount a lazer pointer or level that projects a point on to the impact point and fasten to the flat stock under the barrel. Test fire again and adjust laser if needed. Now remove one C clamp and drill a hole through the angle and flat stock and install  A nut&bolt. Remove the outher C clamp and drill a hole and put a pin in it so you can fire pull the pin swing the angle out of the way pull the bolt put another round on it re insert close the angle pin it and ready to fire. Slow but it should work. Open the front door put the dot on him fire and close the door VERY VERY fast reload and repeat.

Is your middle name Macguyver???  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I would break the leatherman case and use one of those in hand to hand combat.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Weld the barrel to a piece of flat stock so it sticks out where the lower reciever would be. Put just the bolt  with fireing pin in the chamber with a round attached. Now you are loaded. Use a piece of angle iron with a  hole small enough for the back of the bolt to go through only.  You C clamp the angle iron perpindicular to the chamber on the flat stock with the back of the bolt in the hole now you are locked. The bolt can not blow out. Cut a hole in the flat stock behind the bolt big enough for a small hammer handle to go through. Leave enogh play for the hmmer to pivot front to back towards the firing pin. Drill a hole in the handle and put a pin through and fasten to the flat stock and you how have a hammer to fire it. Mount the whole thing to a tripod from a surveyers transit. Mark out 50 yards in the store and set up a targert. Anchor the tripod down bore sight it by looking down the barrel and fire it. To fire pull the hammer towards you it will piviot the head foward and strike the firing pin. Now mount a lazer pointer or level that projects a point on to the impact point and fasten to the flat stock under the barrel. Test fire again and adjust laser if needed. Now remove one C clamp and drill a hole through the angle and flat stock and install  A nut&bolt. Remove the outher C clamp and drill a hole and put a pin in it so you can fire pull the pin swing the angle out of the way pull the bolt put another round on it re insert close the angle pin it and ready to fire. Slow but it should work. Open the front door put the dot on him fire and close the door VERY VERY fast reload and repeat.

Is your middle name Macguyver???  hr

It is slow at work today.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
You can't kill zombies with m855
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
What about just using a large nail gun with a large air compressor and a lot of large nails.  Maybe you could somehow hook this up to the forklift and get out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy crap you guys are lame.. you realise you have an fully stocked Home Depot???

Can you say ANFO bomb? To hell with 75 of them, I'm taking out 100% and most of the parking lot with them.

Let's see, there's:
-oxy/acetylene cannons
-a 75 barreled pneumatic concrete spike gun (and smaller variants of the same concept)
-a steel caged riding lawn mower (al'a A-Team style) with your choice of 10" saw blades, chainsaws or lawn mower blades surrounding you. Ginsu on wheels
-many varieties of flame thrower
-an obnoxious assortment of explosives
-the butt ugly chick from the returns counter in orange apron asking each of them for a date

That's just for starters, and I haven't even gotten into the "heavy equiptment rental" center yet. Heck man, you just described one of my greatest fantasies.. hehe..
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Couldnt you just take the gas tube off the upper, then feed the rounds in 1 at a time , then insert a small metal rod against the firing pin and tap it with a hammer?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought that you had to kill zombies by parting the head from the body???  My vote would be for the chainsaws.  Oh Yea...bombs are easy at the HD!

IO1

P.S.  What the F%@K is up with these threads?  Did the WEED & CRACK Ban sunset also?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I thought that you had to kill zombies by parting the head from the body???  My vote would be for the chainsaws.  Oh Yea...bombs are easy at the HD!

IO1

P.S.  What the F%@K is up with these threads?  Did the WEED & CRACK Ban sunset also?

No just a headshot will do. It's the pink mist think ya know.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Holy crap you guys are lame.. you realise you have an fully stocked Home Depot???

Can you say ANFO bomb? To hell with 75 of them, I'm taking out 100% and most of the parking lot with them.

Let's see, there's:
-oxy/acetylene cannons
-a 75 barreled pneumatic concrete spike gun (and smaller variants of the same concept)
-a steel caged riding lawn mower (al'a A-Team style) with your choice of 10" saw blades, chainsaws or lawn mower blades surrounding you. Ginsu on wheels
-many varieties of flame thrower
-an obnoxious assortment of explosives
-the butt ugly chick from the returns counter in orange apron asking each of them for a date

That's just for starters, and I haven't even gotten into the "heavy equiptment rental" center yet. Heck man, you just described one of my greatest fantasies.. hehe..

OK, step away from the "Anarchist's Cookbook", sir!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Sure, but I always carry a set of stripped receivers with me.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I think I too would be quicker to rig up something like a couple of push mowers bolted to a riding mower with the decks cut off so like 5  large lawn mower blades are spinning, each backed by like 5.5 or more horspower.  Id rig the thing up to steer by remote control using garage door remotes, but only to steer straight and to one direction.  12 volt winches would make a great steering servo.  Id send it out the door and run it till it was finally stopped, then go at it with my above built single shot AR that should only have taken a day to build.  The riding mower thing would take at least 4 days and possibly be a fantastic failure....but fun.

Also I would find a way to exploit water and electricity
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#23]
ive watched many episodes of "robot wars" 1 week in a home depot + fork lift+ ac generator+ electric saws + acetylene flame throwers = one mean flame throwing  saw balde spinning wagon of death.
I dont think making an accurate weapon @ 50 yds witht he given tools is possible. youd waste half the ammo just with trial and error, and trying to zero the franken weapon
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top