Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 5:21:19 PM EDT
I know the Larue Free Float rail hanguard is supposed to be great , and have no hesitation of buying the 13.2" model.  But someone recommended my checking out the Daniels brand too.  I am not familiar with the Daniel.  How would you rate the Daniels rail handguard in comparison to the Larue?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd give the DD an 87!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I had this same question recently and decided on the LaRue because it has the anti-roll feature that the Daniel Defense did not have. But the DD unit is lighter and would probably be fine if loctited into place.

It seems you cant lose either way.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I have never had a problem with mine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my DD 9.0.  Light, comfprtable to hold, and very stable.  

Personally, I believe the amount of force required to make the rail move will have seriously damaged the rifle beyond functioning, but YMMV.

Here is my Recce with a DD 9.0:

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:57:21 AM EDT
[#7]
i like the larue but both are great rails.

the larue does have the locking system and is also located in tx
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice looking rifle Krazny.

thanks gentlemen,
I'll likely stick with a Larue sinse I'm already a Larue fan, and you can say that I can toss a dime between the two.

Eklikwhoa:
What's so great about a Texan buying stuff in the same state from another Texan and having to pay an additional $25 sales tax? ....just kidding....not a deciding factor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#9]
DD is a close second, but I have DDs on most of my rifles and the difference isn't large enough for me to spend the time and money to change them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I own both and will be going with the Daniel Defense on my future builds because it doesn't require a dedicated gas block.  If you're buying a LT 13.2, keep in mind that it's going to cover the gas block and you're going to have to shell out an additional $470 for the LT gas block. With the DD rail you can cut down the existing FSB, which I believe to be a better solution.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Pricing on both are pretty close but unless you really, really need to save a couple of ounces I'd go with the LaRue.  

Maybe it's just a personal thing but I like the extra security of LaRue's locking feature and the machine work and construction is also top notch!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Does DD use epoxy on thier rails or are they exclusively welded?  I dont want to start a shitstorm but Im curious about the construction for my own personal reasons.  

Look here if you dont know what Im talking about
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I have and like the LaRue as stated by the others but DD are slightly lighter and I'm considering it for my next lightweight build.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
QOUTE: I own both and will be going with the Daniel Defense on my future builds because it doesn't require a dedicated gas block. If you're buying a LT 13.2, keep in mind that it's going to cover the gas block and you're going to have to shell out an additional $470 for the LT gas block. With the DD rail you can cut down the existing FSB, which I believe to be a better solution.

I don't know enough about AR15's and gas blocks, except to take my rifle to the range and shoot it, and then clean it. BUT, I assume cutting the FSB down is not something that is cosmetically appealing either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I don't know enough about AR15's and gas blocks, except to take my rifle to the range and shoot it, and then clean it. BUT, I assume cutting the FSB down is not something that is cosmetically appealing either.

The part in red is your explanation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lighten up
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lighten up

heavy down
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lighten up

heavy down

I cannot compete with that wit - I concede.  You're on your own VaniB.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I cannot compete with that wit - I concede.

Was there ever anything to concede?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lighten up
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lighten up

You're just hung up on this whole "last word" thing huh?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lighten up

You're just well hung up on this whole "last word" thing huh?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#23]
To get back on track....I don't see how my Daniel Defense forend would ever come loose, it's on pretty damn tight and I'd have to abuse the hell out of it to ever loosen it up.  I'll most likely buy another DD handguard when the opportunity presents itself.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the input burrito.   I'm assuming that if I use a short DD handguard, I will either have to leave the FSB alone, or modify it I'll be sure to ask my gunsmith about the gas block particulars and options that I am not familiar with. Evidently, admitting to you that I know little about it has only left myself open to saracasm, and having my nose rubbed in shit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#25]
In your original post you said you were looking at a Larue 13.2.  This means that you would have to be covering up the FSB/gasblock.  I took this to mean that you wanted the FSB/gasblock covered regardless of which brand you bought.

Maybe if you start over with what you want and what you're installing it on we can be more helpful.

Incidentally, you may find some of the information in this thread to be helpful.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#26]
My DD is welded.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
To get back on track....I don't see how my Daniel Defense forend would ever come loose, it's on pretty damn tight and I'd have to abuse the hell out of it to ever loosen it up.  I'll most likely buy another DD handguard when the opportunity presents itself.

FWIW, I had a DD come loose once.  Now every one is installed and tightened with a good strap wrench with a dab of Loctite 242 (blue Loctite).  They don't come loose anymore.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#28]
QUOTE:In your original post you said you were looking at a Larue 13.2. This means that you would have to be covering up the FSB/gasblock. I took this to mean that you wanted the FSB/gasblock covered regardless of which brand you bought.

Maybe if you start over with what you want and what you're installing it on we can be more helpful.

Incidentally, you may find some of the information in this thread to be helpful.

IN BURRITO:

The barrel is a Wilson 20"  NM stock on the RRA A4.

Yes. I thought if I chose the 13.2" Larue, then the barrel marks or blemishes caused by the removal of the  FSB would be concealed under it.  However, I wasn't sure what I would need to do with the shorter length  DanielD handguard. After checking out that thread that you referred me to, and the Daniel Defense web sight too, it is a lot clearer to me how the DD will work. If I want to do away with the FSB, then I think the Larue is the better way to go.

Thank you for the input.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW, I had a DD come loose once.  Now every one is installed and tightened with a good strap wrench with a dab of Loctite 242 (blue Loctite).  They don't come loose anymore.

that blue loctite does it's job, no question there!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#30]
in_burrito,

Is that you Jacqueline?  My ex-wife that is.  I'd recognize that mean spirited personality anywhere.  When did you get interested in AR-15's honey?  Sorry about that fancy footwork at divorce time and leaving you to pay all the bills you ran up.

Anyways, carry on.

lawndart
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Amazing. More hits on this thread thus far, then the thread I asked about the meaning of life! Well, I'm glad it was usefull. As at least one guy here thinks he might have located his ex here. Maybe now he'll get his hair drier back.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Amazing. More hits on this thread thus far, then the thread I asked about the meaning of life! Well, I'm glad it was usefull. As at least one guy here thinks he might have located his ex here. Maybe now he'll get his hair drier back.

and ice cube tray
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#33]
i went from the DD to Larue and going back to the DD............

I like the DD due to its profile, seems to be more oval shaped like true M4 handguards.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top