Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2013 5:34:57 PM EDT
Do they line up nice for front iron sights?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you install Magpul rail sections on the top part of the MOE handguard and the rails line up with the rails on your upper adding a front sight will work just fine.

Posting pictures of your setup and what you actually want to do will also help us answer you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It is for one of the Bushmaster Optics ready carbines.
One of them I have a regular quad rail which works great, but I wanted the slim and lightweight qualities of the MOE handguard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The rail add-ons from Magpul work just fine with their MOE handguard since that's what they're made for. If you're wondering about quality they're made of polymer I believe but they're strong enough. My sister has the MOE handguard on her Colt and the rail attachments are nice and sturdy.

Are you intending to mount the rail sections on top of the MOE handguard? Also, does your MOE handguard have slots on the top of it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you saying you want to add a front sight on top if the moe hand guard? If so, I don't think it will stay zeroed since the handguards have a tendency to move around, even if very slightly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I would not put an iron sight on a MOE rail section...
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The Magpul rails don't fit on top of the MOE handguards, only on the sides and bottom.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do they line up nice for front iron sights?

You don't mount sights on a MOE or USGI type handguard.
MOE was designed to nest around an FSB.
If you don't like FSB, get a flip up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Magpul rails don't fit on top of the MOE handguards, only on the sides and bottom.

This. The rails don't fit on the top of the MOE handguards. I can't believe that no-one else bothered to mention that....

Also, the rails have a small amount of play before you clamp them down - let you line up flashlights, etc. I would definitely not mount a sight of any kind on them, even if you could put them on the top (which you can't).
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. The rails don't fit on the top of the MOE handguards. I can't believe that no-one else bothered to mention that....

Also, the rails have a small amount of play before you clamp them down - let you line up flashlights, etc. I would definitely not mount a sight of any kind on them, even if you could put them on the top (which you can't).

It was already addressed above.
Also there are lots of drills and Dremels around here so it's really a moot point.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a top rail for a scope on my A2 build.  Several hundred rounds without any movement.  Its a novelty gun for me, so it hasn't seen a carbine class or hard use, but holds up fine as a range toy.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top