Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2003 10:01:28 AM EDT

I know there's a model that's actually submergable but can the standard M900a take rain or water splashes, etc?  

How rugged is the grip?  Is it as tough as the Dieter CQD foregrip?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The thing is built like a tank and the light and battery housing have Oring seals to keep the water out.  However as soon as water touches the LEDs they turn on about as bright as a cigarette cherry, perhaps a little brighter.  Something to keep in mind... under water its even worse.  Also you cant get the water proofed version.  I waited 6 months for one I had on order before Surefire said they would not realease it to the public.  I gave the standard M900 a dunk in the sink for ten minutes and the result?  The bezel, lamp housing had ZERO water and functioned perfectly, the battery compartment had ZERO water and functioned perfectly.  The whole unit and every switch worked PERFECTLY and even did so while still underwater.  The LEDs were still on after removal from water (they are brighter while actually filled with water than just wet) but the kill switch on the grip killed the LED glowing as well as the whole light. So they can be turned off by cutting power but they you have one EXPENSIVE front grip with no lights.  [:(]

The glowing contiues for a long time.  I never checked to see how long before so I have just rewetted it and will give a time till the LEDs go back to normal.

Well its been just over an hour and its not as bright as a cigarette but its still on... about half as bright, and I am getting sleepy.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Devl, you're one brave man! I was wondering the same thing but I wasn't going to dunk my $400+ flashlight to find the results.

I'm just happy that it now looks like the M900a is definitely water resistant, so I wouldn't have to be concerned if I had my rifle out in the rain.

So I wanted to say thanks for finding this information out.

Leadfoot
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
No problem I like to test my stuff out and see if it will do what it says it will do. [:)]

At 2 hours the LEDs were still glowing but were only twice as bright as a tritium sight.  Then I fell asleep and when I woke up they were no longer on.  So how long till the LEDs go from drenched and on back to off?  Its kind of like how many licks to the center of a toostie pop, the world may never know...
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]
DevL,

Thanks for the info!  You got some balls dunking your M900 for 10 minutes!

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Obviously SureFire's "metal" work (battery compartment and Bezel) are o-ring sealed and the switching is sealed - highly water-resistant with the ability to be waterproof when tested and rated by SureFire.

The LEDs are another matter - a complicated matter as it turns out. I believe SureFire supplies the WeaponLights that have LEDs with little covers for them. Please contact SureFire if you need some toll free on 800 828 8809.

It's not a problem solver (which would be to have LEDs that didn't glow when wet) but it a "cover-up" perhaps!

Al
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So how long till the LEDs go from drenched and on back to off?  Its kind of like how many licks to the center of a toostie pop, the world may never know...
View Quote

Hahaha, man, I was thinking about that commercial as I read it, and then I saw you typed it [rofl2]!

I've not dunked my M900, but I have shot with it in pouring rain. Because I am familiar with the problem of getting LEDs wet, I was afraid the LEDs would come on, but they didnt. I was pretty pleased.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It is possible that SureFire have already made design changes to reduce the ability of general "rain" or light "dunking" from glowing the LEDs.

One of the original ideas was to have user changeable LEDs (swap colours) - this turned out to be pretty complicated as different coloured LEDs have different power demands.

I have no idea if this will be the case but it could be possible if an evolution is made, the swapping of the LEDs could be combined with making it waterproof.

Time to lobby SureFire with constructive comments and suggestions?

Al
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top