Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/19/2005 1:41:33 PM EDT
I need to replace my gas rings on my AR and I bought the mcfarland one piece ring. Can anyone tell me how to do it or direct me to a previous post with the instructions. I've tried searching and can't find what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:33:07 AM EDT
use a pick or a small screwdriver and pry them out and work it around till they come off.

reverse with the mcfarland.

im sure tweak has instructions in the troubleshooting forum
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:44:24 AM EDT
I did it recently for the first time.

Replace all 3 rings at once, don't worry about mangling the old ones.

Putting the new one(s) on is sorta like putting a chain back on your old bicycle you had when you were 10 or 12.

That is about the closest thing I can compare it to without pictures.

Easy job, let us know how it went!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:23:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pac-man-10:
I need to replace my gas rings on my AR and I bought the mcfarland one piece ring. Can anyone tell me how to do it or direct me to a previous post with the instructions. I've tried searching and can't find what I'm looking for.

It's just like putting piston rings on a piston sans piston ring grooves. My practice is not to open the new pack until you have removed and disposed of the old ones (to prevent a possible mix-up).

Wear eye protection. Lightly lubricate the bolt in the area where you will put the gas rings in, and slowly ease the new rings to the bolt (A set of jeweler's screwdriver might be helpful for removing and installing gas rings). Stagger them, and slowly push the bolt to the bolt carrier. A bolt with new gas rings require some patience to insert in the bolt carrier. After about a hundred rounds though, the gas rings "set."

You might want to email Les Baer for installation instructions using a McFarland gas ring. Installing this part is different from the conventional rings.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:16:24 PM EDT
I ended up having standard gas rings installed and I watched as the armorer installed them. I was buying another gun and he gave me the gas rings for free. He told me to stay away from the mcfarland rings. +
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:32:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:58:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pac-man-10:
I ended up having standard gas rings installed and I watched as the armorer installed them. I was buying another gun and he gave me the gas rings for free. He told me to stay away from the mcfarland rings. +

That's what my brother also told me about the Mc Farland rings.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:24:16 PM EDT
I have *heard* about some troubles with McFarlands. However, lot's of folks use them.

But - what do they do that standard rings don't? Standard rings can have all the gaps lined up and still work!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:33:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:03:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tweak:

no gaps when compressed

and that matters, WHY?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:30:28 AM EDT
They are very easy to remove. lift out the rear ring (when the bolt is seated in the carrier, it would be closest to the back fo the carrier) with a small punch. Hold the tip in place on the bolt, then roll the bolt holdign the punch under the ring, the ring will slip right out. Repeat until all three rings are out.

To place the new ones in, slide it down the bolt and put one end of the ring into the slot. Hold it in place then run your finger around the remaninder of the ring, it will slide right into place. No lube or eye protection required.

To function check the rings, put the bolt in carrier as far as it will go. Hold the bolt from the top, with the carrier dangling toward the ground from the bolt. Slightly jiggle the bolt up and down. If the carrier does not move and stays in the same place on the bolt,the rings are holding just fine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:49:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gdaym8t:
They are very easy to remove. lift out the rear ring (when the bolt is seated in the carrier, it would be closest to the back fo the carrier) with a small punch. Hold the tip in place on the bolt, then roll the bolt holdign the punch under the ring, the ring will slip right out. Repeat until all three rings are out.

To place the new ones in, slide it down the bolt and put one end of the ring into the slot. Hold it in place then run your finger around the remaninder of the ring, it will slide right into place. No lube or eye protection required.

To function check the rings, put the bolt in carrier as far as it will go. Hold the bolt from the top, with the carrier dangling toward the ground from the bolt. Slightly jiggle the bolt up and down. If the carrier does not move and stays in the same place on the bolt,the rings are holding just fine.

Wearing eye protection is a must when working with parts such as springs or parts that have tension. Don't want to take chances and hurt your eyes, do you?

Lubricating the gas rings on installation makes it easier for the gas rings to be assembled on the bolt.
Top Top