Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2004 3:48:49 PM EST
I think a lot of people will soon be asking this, how do i remove the fixed tel stock to replace with a real one once AWB is dead. I have a car stock tool and am trying to remove it. btw i dont have the real stock yet so im ok there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:49:19 PM EST
RRA lower if it matters
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:00:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 4:00:44 PM EST by TaipeiPersonality]
In the interest of "teaching a man to fish", look under the Information link at the top of the page, under Guides. Here's a link to help you on your way: www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:00:11 PM EST
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=200392

Read that it is rather simple.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:06:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 4:08:46 PM EST by Guntoting_Spartan]
uh, so step one, just unscrew the castle nut?

cuz im trying my hardest and cant get it to budge
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:15:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By Guntoting_Spartan:
uh, so step one, just unscrew the castle nut?

cuz im trying my hardest and cant get it to budge

Step one: Remove upper from lower, the remove buffer/spring from buffer tube/reciever extention.

Now the problem you may be having is your castle nut may be staked on. Look for the stakes around the nut. RRA does that alot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:16:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 4:19:18 PM EST by Guntoting_Spartan]
stakes? and what to do if there are stakes?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:21:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 4:21:38 PM EST by tommytrauma]

Fire up the grill, get some beer and make a night of it.

Sorry. Had to be said.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:25:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:36:31 PM EST
so....am i supposed to cut off the castle nut then?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:13:54 PM EST
anyone?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:28:20 PM EST
can't you just un-pin the telestock after the ban?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:31:29 PM EST
Tannerite????

Seriously, it is probably staked and it may be locktited.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:57:49 PM EST
most likely so what do i do if it is staked?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:36:23 PM EST
Push harder on the wrench.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:11:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
can't you just un-pin the telestock after the ban?

Some you can, in this case you can't. Bushmaster/RRA stocks use buffer tubes that go all the way to the end of the stock, so even if you un pin it, you'll have the metal tube sticking out of the stock. Im sure some one will eventualy try and drill holes and cut off the excess metal to try and convert a post ban Telestyled tock into a true collapsible stock.

hell, I may try this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:39:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By tommytrauma:

Fire up the grill, get some beer and make a night of it.

Sorry. Had to be said.

LMFAO!

Sorry, had to laugh at that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:23:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By TaipeiPersonality:
In the interest of "teaching a man to fish", look under the Information link at the top of the page, under Guides. Here's a link to help you on your way: www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

a pretty good guide (above) and I used it ....I did find it much easier the second time however- you will see

Read this post Installing a telescopic stock -as I think it covers it well

And PLEASE NOTE: you may also need to change other components like Buffer, Buffer springs, action springs, etc depending on what you start with.

That information is also available on this board - use search and find something by an author by the name of --- quarterbore, or go to quarterbore.com- he is one of the more informed authorities on the subject.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:08:39 PM EST
An AR is not a glass vase.
Slip to wrench around the castles nut, Lefty-loosey.
If it's "staked" or just wont budge, remove the lower
and brace it against your foot and the carpet(so you don't marr
the lower). Now bang that wrench attached to the castle nut
with a mallet or hammer counter clockwise and that som'bitch will come right off.

I've done this a dunno how many times and it always works,
Mind you, I didn't even use a CAR Wrench.
I did it the ghetto way-braced the lower on the rug, put a big enough
pin punch in one of the castle nut notches and banged it counter
clock wise till it loosens.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:08:28 PM EST
I just went into the other room after reading this and took my fixed telestock off to see if I was gonna have trouble. I used one of these:
www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=22890100

I had picked that up at a gunshow years ago for my 1911, and thought it'd be kinda cool to have in September '04 (I remember having that thought exactly. Seemed like so far away..... [:-D]).

My post-ban is a Bushmaster. I just unloaded it, pulled off the upper and pulled out the buffer and spring to prepare.

I gripped the lower tightly with my left hand, the CAR wrench in my right. I pushed.......and the damn castle nut simply backed off, with barely any resistance. It was still too tight to use my hand to loosen it for the first few turns, but not that bad at all!
I DID forget about the buffer retention detent and spring, so they scared me when they came shooting out, but I didn't lose them, or the takedown pin detent and spring.

MAN! You guys had me all worried for nothing!

Oh well. Looks like I can't shoot my carbine again until the stock gets here. I'll be damned if I put that fixed telestock on again.

I guess the moral of the story is that Bushmasters are easier to work on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:11:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By IronBalaclava:
An AR is not a glass vase.
Slip to wrench around the castles nut, Lefty-loosey.
If it's "staked" or just wont budge, remove the lower
and brace it against your foot and the carpet(so you don't marr
the lower). Now bang that wrench attached to the castle nut
with a mallet or hammer counter clockwise and that som'bitch will come right off.

I've done this a dunno how many times and it always works,
Mind you, I didn't even use a CAR Wrench.
I did it the ghetto way-braced the lower on the rug, put a big enough
pin punch in one of the castle nut notches and banged it counter
clock wise till it loosens.

You may be better off with a punch to break the spikes then use the CAR wrench to take off the nut. Most CAR wrenches aren't that sturdy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:59:38 PM EST
thanks that worked, now i just gotta wait for the new stock
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:49:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By GunSlingAR:
I just went into the other room after reading this and took my fixed telestock off to see if I was gonna have trouble. I used one of these:

I had picked that up at a gunshow years ago for my 1911, and thought it'd be kinda cool to have in September '04 (I remember having that thought exactly. Seemed like so far away..... [:-D]).

My post-ban is a Bushmaster. I just unloaded it, pulled off the upper and pulled out the buffer and spring to prepare.

I gripped the lower tightly with my left hand, the CAR wrench in my right. I pushed.......and the damn castle nut simply backed off, with barely any resistance. It was still too tight to use my hand to loosen it for the first few turns, but not that bad at all!
I DID forget about the buffer retention detent and spring, so they scared me when they came shooting out, but I didn't lose them, or the takedown pin detent and spring.

Oh well. Looks like I can't shoot my carbine again until the stock gets here. I'll be damned if I put that fixed telestock on again.

Will this wrench work on both the CAR stock and the M4 stock.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:57:51 PM EST
it shoud but ive been told the 3 pronged wrench makes it much easier than the single prong
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:06:11 PM EST
What he said.

I lucked out that it worked well on mine. I fully expected to have to buy a three-prong one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:04:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4RRA-plinker:

Originally Posted By GunSlingAR:

Will this wrench work on both the CAR stock and the M4 stock.

Yes
Top Top