Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/2/2003 8:04:54 AM EDT

While I was out of the country for awhile, some of my web gear mildewed. No damage, but it smells and I can't seem to find anything that will take out the smell and kill any remaining mildew to prevent later damage to the material.

Any ideas?

(Hope this fits here and isn't too far off topic).

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:40:25 AM EDT
I don't know if this was the right way to do it, but I soaked the gear in Simple Green followed by a hot water/soap bath and rinsed with lots of hot water then air dried. It took care of the mildew stains/odor completely... the gear is black so I wasn't worried about the Simple Green staining anything...
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:17:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DarkStar: I don't know if this was the right way to do it, but I soaked the gear in Simple Green followed by a hot water/soap bath and rinsed with lots of hot water then air dried. It took care of the mildew stains/odor completely... the gear is black so I wasn't worried about the Simple Green staining anything...
View Quote
Thanks. Does anybody know if this will stain desert tan gear?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:31:53 AM EDT
try doing a spot test, and if it looks okay, i'd say its safe to do the rest. dagger
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:47:26 AM EDT
Overtons is a marine supply co that sells a mildew remover for use on boat canvas. I have used it and it works well. Overtons.com
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:41:39 PM EDT
Thanks, everybody. I'll try all the suggestions. Besides my desert gear, I especially want to save some Vietnam-era Chicom silent ammo carriers (wood fastners, etc. I mean real no-noise stuff you can't replace). Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.
Top Top