Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2004 4:55:40 PM EDT
I think a lot of people will soon be asking this, how do i remove the fixed tel stock to replace with a real one once AWB is dead. I have a car stock tool and am trying to remove it. btw i dont have the real stock yet so im ok there.

fixxed RRA lower if it matters

btw i tried searching for this and was unsuccessful
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I take it you have been trying to turn the castle nut and it hasn't budged.  The nut may have been staked into place.   If so, you'll need to locate where the plate was upset and file it back.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have the 3-prong wrench? If not get it, it probably won't budge otherwise. If you do it maybe loctited or staked. Apply enough torque and the loctite will breakfree.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
i think it has stakes, in detail, can someone explain what to do?>
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not call the manufacturer? They can tell you EXACTLY how it is put on and can give you better suggestions on how to remove it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have a Dremel you could try this method,took me 10 min to get the bugger off.Hope this helps.

http://www.andever-pa.com/images/staked.jpg
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Which manufactures staked their CAR stocks like this?

Also, keep your parts as I have one of these fake CAR stocks that I received with my AR-47 and I dissassembled the parts by removing the allen head bolt and I beleive that it may be reusable with a new CAR buffer and the appropriate hardware....  Still may be cheaper to buy a new stock, but worth the try!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I know colt stakes them as i have one with 3 stakes on the castle nut on the opposite side of the notches for using the tele wrench on.  Here is a little better pic to see it up close.

http://tinypic.com/4orgp

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up a DPMS 16" carbine with pinned collapsible stock.
The nut has just 1 pin hole for the spanner wrench, and is not staked,
but it won't budge. I even bent my pin type spanner wrench!
What now?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Bushmaster M-faux, and I am curious if they have staked their stocks. If they have where do I dremmel? Thanks for any help guys.    
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a Bushmaster M-faux, and I am curious if they have staked their stocks. If they have where do I dremmel? Thanks for any help guys.    

Oops, misread the question. Not sure if BM actually stakes their M4gery stock on post-ban versions...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops, misread the question. Not sure if BM actually stakes their M4gery stock on post-ban versions...

They are staked.  I just tried to get mine off and it's a no-go.  I don't have a Dremel (what's wrong with me?), so what can I do?

BoB
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are staked.  I just tried to get mine off and it's a no-go.  I don't have a Dremel (what's wrong with me?), so what can I do?

BoB

I just took mine off today.  It wasn't staked.  I just gave the wrench a good bang with a hammer and it loosend right up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just took mine off today.  It wasn't staked.  I just gave the wrench a good bang with a hammer and it loosend right up.

Yeah, you're right.  I misunderstood the stake reliefs on the castle nut for the actual stakes on the retainer plate.  They're not staked, but I can't get the castle nut to budge with the screwdriver + hammer trick.  *sigh*  I guess I have to wait for my wrench to arrive from Brownell's.

BoB
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you're right.  I misunderstood the stake reliefs on the castle nut for the actual stakes on the retainer plate.  They're not staked, but I can't get the castle nut to budge with the screwdriver + hammer trick.  *sigh*  I guess I have to wait for my wrench to arrive from Brownell's.

BoB

Just hit it harder.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I just used my strap wrench to remove the castle nut on my Bushy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Shit. The 4 position stock I bought at the funshow is a one postion. It wont stay locked at any point but full forward. Anyone know a way too adjust the thing so it sticks?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Shit. The 4 position stock I bought at the funshow is a one postion. It wont stay locked at any point but full forward. Anyone know a way too adjust the thing so it sticks?

Try backing off the nut on the release a thread or 2.

BTDT.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I had to remove a roll pin to adjust the screw. Now there's no way I'm gonna get that pin back in, the holes dont line up at all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I had to remove a roll pin to adjust the screw. Now there's no way I'm gonna get that pin back in, the holes dont line up at all.

Will it lock in the position you desire now?

Danny
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yep.

I'd degrease the end of the screw and nut now and blue loctite it.

The screw is drilled wrong or something is off.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#22]
By the way thanks for all the help Danny. I got a paper clip in the whole the twisted the screw in to jam it and then cut it off. JB weld will cover the holes and ensure the clip stays put.
Just so y'all know, I did all this with the stock in my lap and not on a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I just used my strap wrench to remove the castle nut on my Bushy.

I'm too impatient to wait for the BBT to bring my wrench.  I ran to Sears and got a strap wrench, but the bugger just slips on the nut.  How did you get it to go?

BoB
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#24]
My strap wrench is only about a 1/2 in wide.  I tightened it up as tight as I could, and it popped and freed up.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top