Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2004 12:03:38 AM EDT
Could anyone give the instructions on how to remove the rear sight assembly from my A2 upper?  I want to upgrade it to a DCM A2 sight assembly.

Thanks

Frontsight
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe you just start cranking on the elevation adjustment till it comes free.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 12:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Jack,

Thanks for the suggestion but thats the first thing I tried and it just stops at the highest elevation.

Frontsight
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn. I guess all the flat tops I have have ruined me
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:19:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Basically here's how you do it.  You drive out the roll pin directly under the sight.  A spring will come out from inside your lower when you do that, so have something prepared to catch it with.  Then you can simply wind the elevation knob until it comes out.  Once again, there is a very small ball bearing and spring in the sight base, so be prepared to catch that as well.  The elevation knob can them be removed from the receiver.  It also has a small ball bearing and spring that will come out of the receiver so be prepared to catch those as well.

Installation is basically the reverse, but can be tough without special tools.  Those springs and ball bearings travel a long way when they eject themselves out of the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Mongo,

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.  Where can I get the special tools for this?

Frontsight
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:35:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mongo,

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.  Where can I get the special tools for this?

Frontsight

Check out this link:

AR Tools

Go down the page and look for the rear sight tool on the left side of the page.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:12:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Mongo,

Thank you again.

Frontsight
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Becareful with the elevation disk as well, it's actually 2 pieces with a pin that determines where the 3/6 (or 3/8) marks line up, if your not careful those can go back together different and mess up where the elevation bottoms out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
jjmcrowell,

Thanks for the additional heads up, appreciate it.

Frontsight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top