Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2006 12:48:15 PM EDT
I own a Bushmaster A3 flat-top receiver and use it in the field.  I was wondering on how to mount a 512?  I would like to have a clear field of view.  Also suggestions on a back up sight would be appreciated too.  I work for a small agency.  They just purchased some black guns for a few people, so I cannot see what configuration I like best... since the department and guys are new to the whole idea.

Pictures would also be appreciated to see how the two sights co-witness or what set-up you use.  I am open to many ideas.

I enjoy sitting back and looking for answers before I open my big mouth, but I can't seem to find much on the EoTechs'.

To note: I qualified with irons, but would like to have both options (optic and irons) available to me...

Much thanks in advance.

JJ
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
lmt buis,larue or troy flip up.
i 've mounted my eothing 552 just slightly in front of the ejection port.
www.shoppekeeper.com/lewismachine_catalog/products?page=3
[url[http://www.laruetactical.com/marketplace/servlet/Marketplaces?webEvent(ViewProductGridPage,folderClick)&folderID=6376&scrollTop=224

call smglee at cltactical.com, he can hook you up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always been perfectly fine with my EOTechs mounted directly to the flat top with a flip up Troy or 40L behind it.

The front sight is still in the picture, but you don't even notice it after a few times out.  And since you're using the EOTech with both eyes open (!!!) you have a full field of view at all times.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked into using a flip-up rear sight and mounting my EOTech 512 directly on the flattop.  Since I have a pencil barrel Bushmaster, I found out that I was VERY limited in my front sight options.  I decided to stick with my stock front sight but didn't want it in the center of my EOTech sight picture.  I opted to go with a RRA Dominator which has a built-in A2 rear sight and elevates the EOTech 1/4".  Basically, this puts the iron sights in the lower 1/3 of the EOTech's window.  You can look over the rear sight and use the EOTech reticle or you can look through the irons and still see the reticle (co-witnessing).

Here's a few pics (the stock front sight is blocked by the Surefire light)

http://home.earthlink.net/~s.shafer/DCP_2161.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~s.shafer/DCP_2162.JPG
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a pic of my RRA with 552. I have a YHM Eotech riser. It allows for "lower 1/3" co witness. My rear BIUS is a GGG MAD. I have very good luck with this setup.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the quick replys.  Just goes to show how much I continue to grow in love with this site.  I am going to go and get the EoTech soon, and still looking for a good BUIS to go along with it.  I will take everyones advice with me when looking.

Thanks again and hope to hear from additional users,

JJ
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an optics thread going if your looking for ideas.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=264445
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got my 512 mounted on the flat-top with an A.R.M.S 40SP mounted behind it. There is plenty of room to acess the buttons on the EoTech.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:27:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an EO 512.  I had it mounted to the flat-top with an ARMS #40 behind it...  It was just too low for my BIG HEAD!  I could use it, and the front sight post didn't bother me, and I could reach the buttons just fine, but when my head was in a natural position, the reticle was at the very top of the window.  I would think that you'd want to have a slightly "heads-up" view if you're using your rifle/optic combo for "agency" work as well.

I personally went with the RRA Dominator, and I think it's a great option for mounting an EOTech to a carbine that will ONLY EVER have an EOTech.  BUT please note that there are no less than THREE separate threads on this forum right now asking "how do I use a (insert magnified optic) on my Dominator when I remove my EOTech".  The Dominator is NOT the choice if you EVER think you'll be swapping optics on your rifle.  It's designed for the EOtech, the whole EOTech, and nothing BUT the EOTech so help you gosh.  

I'd suggest purchasing a BUIS first, trying the EOTech directly on the flat-top, then if you think it's too low, get a LaRue mount for QD, or a Yankee Hill mount for tight budgets...  Although, for serious bid-ness, I don't know if I'd want to trust my life to the Yankee Hill mount, regardless of how well it's performed so far "at the range".

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
....  I would like to have a clear field of view.  ....

Clear field of view is best acheived with the modest rise offered by the LaRue mount.

Recommended BUIS?  The above is an ARMS #40A2, not a bad sight - one of the best when the carbine was started.  However this BUIS is going to be moved to another carbine and I'm going to replace it with a TROY BUIS.  After trying a buddies out I could see why it is so highly recommended.  It lies flatter than the standard #40, locks into position, and is build like a tank.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've got my 512 mounted on the flat-top with an A.R.M.S 40SP mounted behind it. There is plenty of room to acess the buttons on the EoTech.

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/BlackLex/th_GUN7.jpg

I read somewhere in these threads that some people had a problem
with the ARMS 40L SP not staying zeroed when shooting. I'm looking
to buy a BUIS and I'm leaning toward the 40L SP. Who has had
problems of any kind with it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#11]
My 512's and 552 are screwed directly on the A3's rail.

With DPMS "Mangonel" flip up sight:

With DPMS "Standalone" rear sight

Don't have a picture, but the cowitness with the Standalone looks just like below.

On an RRA with YHM handguard:

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the feedback!!  The information is precisley what I was inquiring about.  Its like you just read my mind.

Once again, THANKS for the info!  Still looking forward to hearing from additional users.

JJ  A little more informed fellow AR owner on EoTechs
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Shafer, I was thinking about getting the Dominator mount and I have a question for you, if you don't mind.  Does the rear sight obstruct the EOTech window at all if you are looking over the rear sight?  It seems like it would somewhat, and that the recticle would have to be up near the top of the window.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#14]
You have some good , no, great, info to go on from prior posters.

I chose the YHM flip up front and the ARMS 40 rear because I have difficulty with the standard A2 sight in the same plane as my EOT.

The dominator solves the problem differently, see prior postings (option 2).  

You have essentially 3 choices:

1) Co witness the front and rear sights in flip up fashion. (eg YHM and ARMS 40)

2) Raise the sights above your Eo thingy. (eg dominator) so they are in the lower 2/3 rds of visual window.

3)Keep the front sight standard (in the same plane) and use a flip sight rear to co -witness (I'm not sure which one, probably Troy or ARMS). The front sight fades out of the visual plane and works very well for younger eyes. Saves changing sight planes visually. not as easy after age 40 or so.

All work.  Most choose the front sight standard (option 3) because it is simpler and requires fewer changes.  I chose option 1 for several reasons, mostly my older eyes, and it works for me.  Other good minds will chime in shortly to comment.

If I were younger, with no age related eye changes, I would probably keep the standard A2 front sight in the same sight plane, and would add the appropriate rear flip up.  Lot of choices:  GGG, Troy, ARMS, Midland, and whoever else I forgot.

Regards,

Rick  

PS google RBPrecision for an excellent discussion on co witnessing.  

I spent 15-20 hours on this question as I solved my problem.  Hope this helps you!

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I looked into using a flip-up rear sight and mounting my EOTech 512 directly on the flattop.  Since I have a pencil barrel Bushmaster, I found out that I was VERY limited in my front sight options.  I decided to stick with my stock front sight but didn't want it in the center of my EOTech sight picture.  I opted to go with a RRA Dominator which has a built-in A2 rear sight and elevates the EOTech 1/4".  Basically, this puts the iron sights in the lower 1/3 of the EOTech's window.  You can look over the rear sight and use the EOTech reticle or you can look through the irons and still see the reticle (co-witnessing).

Here's a few pics (the stock front sight is blocked by the Surefire light)

home.earthlink.net/~s.shafer/DCP_2161.JPG

home.earthlink.net/~s.shafer/DCP_2162.JPG

__

Nice set-up (similar to mine ).

Question.  Given a LMT rear sight and an EOTech, what's the best method of mounting a PVS-14?  Would I be better off using a flip-up rear sight instead?

Thanks!

Ed
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Larue EOTech mount and BUIS

ETA: Bushmaster A3. Needed the taller front sight post installed for the Larue BUIS.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:16:54 AM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#21]
CJFirefly,

I originally thought that it would, but surprisingly your eyes seem to lock in on the reticle rather than the sights.  The reticle is clearly visible in the top 2/3 of the window when you look over the rear sight.  

Here are a few pics.  Sorry for the quality but a new digital camera is not in my budget.

http://home.earthlink.net/~s.shafer/DCP_2171.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~s.shafer/DCP_2172.JPG
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I personally like using the  one of the risers to move the EOtech up and cowitness fixed irons in the lower 1/3 of the window.  This makes for quicker transitions between optic and irons (nothing to fold or flip, just adjust your cheekweld slightly).  Important if you need to shoot NOW and your batts die, Mr Murphy shows up, etc.  I also like the height these risers place the EOtech at.

If you are in SE WI, I may be able to get together with you and let you shoot my AR set up with a YHM riser and a chopped carry handle (fixed) BUIS.  Drop me an IM if you want.  Also check out the Wisconsin Home Town Forum.  Plenty of folks there willing to help out and let you try stuff out 'hands on'.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the info DRAWCUT.  Just goes to show how the people here make others feel welcomed.  If I get that way, I will drop you an IM.  I will also check out the WI forums and find others in my neck-of-the-woods.

Thanks Again all who have contributed. Western WI
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:22:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Shafer, those pics were exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's another vote for the Larue mount, with Troy flip ups.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top