Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2013 12:18:08 PM EST
My AR-15 I built has a simple round freefloat tube, 2" o.d., knurled except for the last 1-1/2" or so. It threads onto the barrel mount, so I don't know how predictable unscrewing/screwing back on for the purpose of drilling/tapping for a sling stud to mount a bipod would be. I suppose I can remove/reinstall it a couple of times to see- Anyway, my problem is- either a means to mount a bipod to the tube- or I need recommendations on a front rest to shoot the rifle off of. It's a heavy barreled AR, and will be target shooting off the ground or a bench. Obviously, a front benchrest style of support would have to be tall enough to clear a 30 round mag.
Thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Wes
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 1:35:17 PM EST
Generally those were just drilled and tapped for a sling swivel stud, or else through-drilled and a sling swivel stud installed with a nut on the inside of the handguard. Then a Harris type bipod attaches right to the swivel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 1:48:57 PM EST
Drilll a hole.

Thread hole.

Screw swivel into hole.

Mount Bi-Pod.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 1:51:36 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rock71:
Drilll a hole.

Thread hole.

Screw swivel into hole.

Mount Bi-Pod.
View Quote

Buy some 20 round mags.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:17:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2013 8:21:53 AM EST by XJosh95]
Maybe not the best tutorial, but you get the jest of it.

bipod install

If you go this route, I'll make it a bit easier.

swivel stud
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:28:20 AM EST
THIS

Not really, see above. I've never ran a bipod on a FF but that seems to be good to go.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:37:29 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
or else through-drilled and a sling swivel stud installed with a nut on the inside of the handguard. Then a Harris type bipod attaches right to the swivel.
View Quote

My Clark CF tube is similar to the above, but instead of a nut it's a curved piece of aluminum with a hole threaded to the same size as the swivel stud.
Top Top