Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2003 8:36:04 PM EDT
Ended up with a nearly new w/o box Leupold 4.5 to 14 AO mil dot 40 mm obj for a reasonable price ($200) and would like to mount the scope on the flat top HBAR.

With the eyerelief appears going to nearly run out of room for the front ring.  Any recommendations and/or experences (possible offset rings?)

One option is to get an extended SWAN rail, however, as the long term usage for the scope is to go on a .308 to replace the 300 Win Mag PSS that was just sold would like to have another option as in this case the SWAN rail would not be used that much in the future (the M16 HBAR would "like" to have an ACOG TA31(f?) or TA11 in the long run).

Side note the .308 will probably be a PSS or possible a friends AR10A4 (not T) if it shoots very well ... but that is another discusstion (but feel free to comment

Thanks
John

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I just mounted my Leupold 3.5-10x50 on my flat top AR with Leupold Mark 4 Super High rings. My rifle has rail all the way to the front sight. Perfect height. If you want quick detach look at the ARMS #22 high rings. If you need to get the scope forward w/o adding a rail look at the ARMS 35 QD base and rings.

Look for MSTN's post in the equipment exchange under sights and optics. A wealth of information.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#3]
[red][b]Thanks![/b][/red]

The fix mount using a #36 rail and rings (#35 or similar?) is low on my list since would like to keep the option of using the flat top HBAR upper with the Aimpoint or iron sights (at least until get another HBAR or A2 upper for the M16A1 [;)]

Thus appears to be two recommended options, both of which are very interesting.

[b]Fixed rail with built in BUIS:[/b]
#38Ex Swan with H22M rings (from the postings by Wes appears to just fit with my 40mm obj ... but need to do more research)

[b]Removable mount with optional BUIS:[/b]
#35QD with #35 low or medium rings.

Which then leads to the qustion will a BUIS sight fit under the medium rings ... and if so does it have to be the KAC 300 meter (like the looks of the KAC 600 meter sight in the photo and have one in the "junk box")

If one has to go with a high ring to fit a BUIS ... will the ARMS #40 then fit also?

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14359[/img]
Appove image "borrow" from posting by Wes for discussion purpose.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:47:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I got one of the ArmaLite mounts on mine.
It has the off-set front ring that allows for added eye relief. I really like mine.
Here is the link to their site
[url]http://www.armalite.com/[/url]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top