Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/26/2010 8:26:17 PM EDT
Gang,

My state has a 5-round mag capacity limit. I like using 30rd mags because in a pinch I can use them as a rest. They're also easier (faster) to swap.

How would one go about mechanically limiting the capacity, without causing failures to feed? In my shotguns I use wooden dowels. I assume I could use a wooden spacer, but I'm concerned about causing a problem with the feeding.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:21:48 PM EDT
The floor plates of most mags will side off. You could put a wooden spacer under the mag spring. Maybe you'd have to experiment with the length of the spacer but I think it'd work.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 10:20:08 PM EDT
With some measurements you could probably drill a hole along the spine of the magazine and place a rivet to limit to 5 rounds. This might be easier than figuring out how to use a wooden spacer without causing the feeding issues. Unfortunately the rivet will make it pretty close to impossible to remove the follower to clean/replace. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:32:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:33:33 PM EDT
Yo may want to look into whether or not the modification has to be permanent to be legal. Some states require it. Why not just buy some rd. mags? I wouldn't want a long mag protruding to snag on brush or branches myself.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 8:00:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By river_rat:
Why not just buy some 5rd. mags? I wouldn't want a long mag protruding to snag on brush or branches myself.

agreed, and also if shooting with anything even looking like a 6 rd mag is attracting unwanted eyes

Link Posted: 12/27/2010 2:11:28 PM EDT
I assume this is a hunting law? I know in NY at least, the hunting law doesn't state that the modification be permanent, just that it not hold more than 5 rounds. The AWB mag capacity law does have the "readily restored or converted to accept more" verbiage, but for hunting, EnCon just wants to see that you can't have more then 5 in the mag when you're in the field.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:17:32 PM EDT
I carry a rifle, in the field, for a living. Not concerned about a 30-round mag catching on the brush.

I can buy shotguns in Wal-Mart all day long with 5 and 7 round magazines that come with dowels to limit capacity, mag does not have to be permanently altered AFAIK.

I'll try drilling a hole and putting in a screw. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 11:18:23 AM EDT
Where I live we have to hunt, if semi auto, with max 2 rounds.

Yes!

But we may own and shoot with any mag we like, as long as the gun itself is legal.

So I would take a 20 rounder ( I think it will be easier with the straight design ), drill a hole in the base plate, solder on a nut, and insert a threaded piece until it blocks the follower to hold two rounds. I would loctite the "screw".

Or put on a second nut, solder it, and cut the threaded piece to lenght. Or just take a really long screw and cut to lenght. Screw in tight, and you have a 2 rounder.Unscrew, and you have a 20 rounder.

Hermann
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 12:01:04 PM EDT
Is magpul making 5/30 rd mags? 5 rd cap 30 rd body?
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 1:48:19 PM EDT
just order one like this
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:15:41 PM EDT
It seems, some Gents don´t get the idea.

The Idea is that the 2 rounder looks EXACTLY like, say, a 10 ( M 14 ) or 20 rounder ( M 14 and AR 15 ) ...

If anybody wants to know, I have two 2 rounders to show around.

;-)

I mean, who would search a fellow hunter???

Added Bonus is, that in a ITSHTF situation, it takes just seconds to have one more super reliable, mag spring hardly ever compressed, full capacity mag.

Hermann

P.S.: it´s really important to keep a "three round" max ryhtm!

;-)
Top Top