Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 7:08:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2004 7:08:31 AM EST by Beyond_Visual_Range]
Had this problem when I took apart the Bushy AR today. The upper/lower wont want to separate, I finally pulled it apart with flexible bending. It turns out the buffer retainer pin, the little thing pin that holds the buffer back, when the bolt is battery, had jumped out. It jammed on the bolt carrier and therefore caused some problem in getting upper/lower apart.

See here for a pic of the Buffer Retainer.
www.bushmaster.com/images/lower.gif

This had never happened today. Is the pin suppose to pop out when you push the buffer back? What's keeping the pin from coming out? Is it the rails on underside of bolt carrier? I looked and things appear normal, how do I keep the Retainer from coming out again? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:09:46 AM EST
The buffer tube is supposed to be screwed into the lower receiver far enough that its lip retains the buffer retainer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:16:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
The buffer tube is supposed to be screwed into the lower receiver far enough that its lip retains the buffer retainer.

Correct, the buffer retainer is spring loaded and is held in place by the buffer tube. The buffer tube should be screwed far enough into the lower receiver to cover the buffer retainer from coming out, but not so far as to rub against the retaining pin tip.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:17:05 AM EST
you hit it on the nail, I thought something was wrong there. the tube isn't in as far as to hold the retainer back. The buttstock is also abit looser. maybe it was banged up alittle during shooting? so what do I do? take off the buttstock and screw the buffer tube in further? do I need a tool to do this?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:18:52 AM EST
What buttstock do you have?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:26:19 AM EST
A1 buttstock, I installed it about 6mo ago.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:05:23 AM EST
I always put a drop of blue loctite on buffer tubes. The solid buttstock model only have that "hrmpf" you
put on them to hold. No back mechanical stop to prevent loosening. The drop of loctite makes sure it stays
in place until you want to play musical stocks next time.
Top Top