Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 4/17/2010 7:13:55 AM EST
I am going to be purchasing one of the new Nikon M-223 scopes and want to put it into a Larue QR mount. I checked on Larue's site for mounting instructions and they were kind of vague. Can anybody give me some pointers on how to install a scope in the Larue mount system? I have never mounted a scope in or on anything so I have no idea as to what tools I will need and how to do it.

Thanks,

870fan
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:59:54 AM EST
The LaRue mount comes with the necessary tools to mount the scope into it. The LaRue mount has 4 screws on each ring. The way I prefer to tighten these is similar to the way you tighten lugnuts. I tighten say the top left, then I got to the bottom right, then top right, then top left. Then I go back over it once to make sure everything is still tight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:57:46 AM EST
It says in the instructions that come with it to tighten the bottom two first then the top two.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:53:08 AM EST
Quoted:
The LaRue mount comes with the necessary tools to mount the scope into it. The LaRue mount has 4 screws on each ring. The way I prefer to tighten these is similar to the way you tighten lugnuts. I tighten say the top left, then I got to the bottom right, then top right, then top left. Then I go back over it once to make sure everything is still tight.

So you don't need to use a bubble level to level the crosshairs?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:15:15 AM EST
I went thru this with my Aimpoint figured its the same as a scope. Here is a link
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:33:17 AM EST

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you don't need to use a bubble level to level the crosshairs?

I've never used those things and I've probably mounted 2-300 scopes. We do it where I work. I've never had anyone complain about it not being level.
Originally
Posted By Wormydog1724:

It says in the instructions that come with it to tighten the bottom two
first then the top two.

Oh,
well hell thats what I did then if its what the instructions said. Its
been a while since I mounted my scope in the mount.

But thats how I do my regular scope rings though. Tighten diagonally.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:34:18 PM EST
Quoted:

I do it this way as well. Once I have it tightened down and I'm happy with the position of the scope and crosshairs, I remove one screw at a time to add a dab of loctite then tighten them back down. Sure you can just add the loctite the first time around but I like doing it my way just in case something is messed up etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:15:05 AM EST
Lower bolts first, then top. after I get everything tight then I torque to 15 inch pounds lower then top. Definitely use a level or a plumb line. I started using the feeler guage method a couple of weeks ago and it definitely helps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:12:44 PM EST
Quoted:
Lower bolts first, then top. after I get everything tight then I torque to 15 inch pounds lower then top. Definitely use a level or a plumb line. I started using the feeler guage method a couple of weeks ago and it definitely helps.

Any link describing the "feeler gauge method'?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:42:20 AM EST
I think I saw it in the precision rifle section of the armory. but basically you use feeler guages between the scope and base to help level the scope. I think it helpls to keep it from moving during the torquing process.
Top Top