Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 7:29:38 AM EDT
I was needing to know if it is possible to remove the front sight base off my post ban Bushmaster rifle and install one that has a bayonet lug on it after the ban sunsets.  If it is possible do any of you know how much the sight will cost, and were I could get one made by Bushmaster.  Thanks for all the help Phil.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was needing to know if it is possible to remove the front sight base off my post ban Bushmaster rifle and install one that has a bayonet lug on it after the ban sunsets.  If it is possible do any of you know how much the sight will cost, and were I could get one made by Bushmaster.  Thanks for all the help Phil.

To do it with taper pins is alot of work.  You could mount it with setscrews, but it won't be nearly as strong as if it were mounted with taper pins.

IMO, WAY more work than it is worth.  The bayonet lug is dead weight, although very little dead weight.  I'd bet that even the real shooters here haven't used the lug.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I was looking through the BM catalog and wondering the same thing which is how I ended up on this forum:)  Your front sight is held on with taper pins and to get them out without damaging the pins (and possibly the base) requires a special punch(Brownell's PN #827-530-320 because a standard punch(and possibly the special punch too?) will rivet the pins in place quite often.  The other options are drilling the pins out or just Dremeling your way through the front sight.  

Not sure who has BM sights, but I think J&T Distributing in Winchester advertises forged front sights for $45 + $4 for taper pins and most everything I have bought from them at gunshows has been good quality.  Now the part I am really curious about is how hard it is to get the gas ports to line up on a used barrel?

Good luck to all of us:)

Jason
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:16:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quoted:
requires a special punch
Jason

No special punch used here.  I am, of couse, the Master.

FSB Removal
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]

No special punch used here.  I am, of couse, the Master.hippie.gif

quote]

I am impressed with the rifle and the removal:)  I have removed one front sight and I think the first hit deformed the pin.  Based on the lack of quality of the rest of the kit the barrel came with and now seeing your post, I gotta wonder what everything was made from and how the pins were installed because I had to dremel my way pretty much all the way through before the pins would budge.  So now I may have a challenge ahead of me next week:)  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top