Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2002 11:44:36 AM EDT
I ordered a Rock River A2 upper a month ago and when I received it, I noticed that there weren't any identifying marks on it saying who made it. Also, the front sight appears to be cast. Is this normal for RRA.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Front sight housing should be forged.  Front swivel should be held on with a rivet, not a roll pin like some use.  If a post ban with a brake, it'll either be Wilsonish or RRA LE comp, and if so, will be threaded, then pinned and welded, and rephosphated.  The finish on the receiver will be a VERY matte gray/black.
They only ship complete uppers....won't let them go without the bolt, carrier, and charging handle.
Barrels generally unmarked, but apparently a few were, but at the back by the chamber, not in front by the sight housing. 20" would either be chrome-moly (without chrome lining) or stainless.
Hope that helps a little.  For warranty reasons, I think we'll see AR companies roll-stamping their uppers eventually, just like their lowers, but w/o serial, of course.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
It does have a rivet for the front swivel and the upper receiver is matte black so I'll stop worrying now.
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster, RRA ect use whatever forgings and casting that they can get thier mitts on.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They only ship complete uppers....won't let them go without the bolt, carrier, and charging handle.
View Quote

Really? Their catalog's picture shows it without the charging handle, and I assumed without the bolt carrier. For $160 it doesn't seem like they would inlude all of that. Or do you mean they won't sell it without buying the bolt, carrier, and handle too?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Liberty,
I guess I should have clarified that, but it was directly to answering the original question...they won't sell upper halves without the BCG and chg handle.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Front sight housing should be forged. Front swivel should be held on with a rivet, not a roll pin like some use. If a post ban with a brake, it'll either be Wilsonish or RRA LE comp, and if so, will be threaded, then pinned and welded, and rephosphated. The finish on the receiver will be a VERY matte gray/black.
Barrels generally unmarked, but apparently a few were, but at the back by the chamber, not in front by the sight housing. 20" would either be chrome-moly (without chrome lining) or stainless.

Mine is just as you describe however I have a question.  My upper has a large M with a upside down triangle above it and a smaller "B" both are located on the back side of the carry handle just in front of the rear sight assembly. Does this stand for National Match? I have a RRA Midlength carbine..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top