Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/26/2002 10:44:36 AM EST
I ordered a Rock River A2 upper a month ago and when I received it, I noticed that there weren't any identifying marks on it saying who made it. Also, the front sight appears to be cast. Is this normal for RRA.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:46:05 PM EST
Front sight housing should be forged. Front swivel should be held on with a rivet, not a roll pin like some use. If a post ban with a brake, it'll either be Wilsonish or RRA LE comp, and if so, will be threaded, then pinned and welded, and rephosphated. The finish on the receiver will be a VERY matte gray/black. They only ship complete uppers....won't let them go without the bolt, carrier, and charging handle. Barrels generally unmarked, but apparently a few were, but at the back by the chamber, not in front by the sight housing. 20" would either be chrome-moly (without chrome lining) or stainless. Hope that helps a little. For warranty reasons, I think we'll see AR companies roll-stamping their uppers eventually, just like their lowers, but w/o serial, of course. Sluggo
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:19:56 PM EST
Thanks for the info. It does have a rivet for the front swivel and the upper receiver is matte black so I'll stop worrying now. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:27:29 PM EST
Bushmaster, RRA ect use whatever forgings and casting that they can get thier mitts on.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:27:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By sluggo: They only ship complete uppers....won't let them go without the bolt, carrier, and charging handle.
View Quote
Really? Their catalog's picture shows it without the charging handle, and I assumed without the bolt carrier. For $160 it doesn't seem like they would inlude all of that. Or do you mean they won't sell it without buying the bolt, carrier, and handle too?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:27:01 PM EST
Liberty, I guess I should have clarified that, but it was directly to answering the original question...they won't sell upper halves without the BCG and chg handle. Sluggo
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:36:25 AM EST
Front sight housing should be forged. Front swivel should be held on with a rivet, not a roll pin like some use. If a post ban with a brake, it'll either be Wilsonish or RRA LE comp, and if so, will be threaded, then pinned and welded, and rephosphated. The finish on the receiver will be a VERY matte gray/black. They only ship complete uppers....won't let them go without the bolt, carrier, and charging handle. Barrels generally unmarked, but apparently a few were, but at the back by the chamber, not in front by the sight housing. 20" would either be chrome-moly (without chrome lining) or stainless. Mine is just as you describe however I have a question. My upper has a large M with a upside down triangle above it and a smaller "B" both are located on the back side of the carry handle just in front of the rear sight assembly. Does this stand for National Match? I have a RRA Midlength carbine..
Top Top