Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2002 12:01:54 PM EDT
I know this has been discussed in the past but, I can't find it.  How do you stop the boing in the buffer tube?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Put a generous amount of grease on the buffer spring. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The AR15 "boing" is one of the characteristics of the rifle design. Personally, I have grown to like it, and have even found it to be a good secondary indicator that the mag is empty (no boing, bolt is held back).
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Get use to it, it is as Raven told you, a very unique sound to shooting an AR, I actually don't notice it any more.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Gus and SMGLee, it makes sense tactically speaking.  rebel, I will use a little TW25b though.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Mixed up a carbine length buffer spring and a rifle length tube/stock once.
Ever shot was followed by a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w "shung...shung".
Very wierd. And the only time I ever noticed the sound at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Every member of the M-16 Family does this it makes 0 sense to try to Grease it or muffle it
it only happens when you fire the rifle.
"Tactically" it makes no difference the shooter is the only person likely to hear it and then only when his/her ear is plastered to the stock.
Unless you are firing a suppressed weapon, once you fire the rifle EVERYONE will know you are there, The grease is a liability in the recoil system as every piece of grit or crap will get stuck into it and it will gum up and potentially cause a jam. I recommend that folks just get over it there is nothing wrong with the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to beg to differ, I've had several Essential Arms rifles and none of them make the boing noise. I have also own several Bushmasters and they ALL make the boing. I took one of my EA's apart and when I put it back together it started made the boing...needless to say I didn't take apart the others. I would like to know how to fix it. If someone really knows...I'd be grateful.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I hardly ever hear the boing sound when firing my AR, usually is the gun fire that I hear.  To muff the noise is basically personal perference, if necessary, use some high quality grease, it will lessen the sound when the gun is fired.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have to beg to differ, I've had several Essential Arms rifles and none of them make the boing noise. I have also own several Bushmasters and they ALL make the boing. I took one of my EA's apart and when I put it back together it started made the boing...needless to say I didn't take apart the others. I would like to know how to fix it. If someone really knows...I'd be grateful.

Every fixed stock AR I've ever fired made the noise. For some reason, I haven't noticed it in carbines with telestocks. Still, I would also avoid grease for the reasons mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Hydraulic buffer?
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]
You cant fix whats not broken.
GG
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a bolt action?
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#13]
www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=14-5200&type=store

Anyone try one of these?  Curiousity got me and I ordered one a couple months ago, but I moved since then and have not yet located it for a test.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I feel the same as Gus on this one.  But if you MUST get rid of the noise, Oly Arms makes a hydraulic buffer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top